Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I hab dot a dold.... What the hell can I take?!

(16 Posts)
wineapotamus Sun 09-Oct-16 15:27:29

That's it really. I am feeling like shit but can't take any of my usual remedies of lemsip, hot toddy, ibuprofen. I feel like cement's been poured in my head and my face is permanently leaking. Help! What can I take? Apart from to my bed....
Thanks

PinPon Sun 09-Oct-16 15:28:57

Honey and lemon in hot water. Doesn't do much but tastes nice!

soundsystem Sun 09-Oct-16 15:33:03

You have my sympathy. I got one of those Facebook "memories" popping up this morning that was a picture of a bottle of whiskey, honey, lemons and Beechams all in one grin I obviously get a cold at the same time every year.

This time I'm using:

Snuffle babe
A nasal spray thing that's basically just saline soluion
Boots blackcurrant cough linctus
Lots of chocolate digestives, dunked in tea (alternating between regular and decaf)
Hot Ribena

FabFiveFreddie Sun 09-Oct-16 15:35:35

Lemsip (paracetamol) is fine in pregnancy. Why won't you use it?

MoonlightMojitos Sun 09-Oct-16 15:35:44

Ooh I just wanted to say I feel your pain! I posted this same thing 2 weeks ago and it was hell 😂 sorry! Apparently pregnancy lowers your immune system which is what makes it worse and more easily caught! I got by with lemon and honey in hot water, a few days off work in a nest on the sofa with netflix and generally being very lazy. Oh and you can take paracetemol for any aches. Good luck!

Lovelongweekends Sun 09-Oct-16 15:36:21

Paracetamol
Saline nasal spray
Hot black currant or hot lemon
Steam

That's about it really!

MoonlightMojitos Sun 09-Oct-16 15:36:48

fabfive the paracetamol in lemsip is fine but the decongestant in it isn't

wineapotamus Sun 09-Oct-16 19:12:25

Thank you all. Yes I thought I had to avoid lemsip. Hot Ribena is a good shout. Atm I'm self medicating with lemon and honey drinks, balsam tissues and sausages and mash for tea

charlybs Sun 09-Oct-16 20:49:30

Haha OP I also have a cold and the title of the post made me chuckle! Cheers and good luck *clinks mug of honey and lemon brew

catx1606 Sun 09-Oct-16 20:55:45

I've just got over a cold and I found that fresh ginger infused in hot water with a spoonful of honey really helped.

Cakescakescakes Sun 09-Oct-16 20:58:33

Paracetamol is totally fine. Also Vicks nasal inhaler sticks for decongesting are totally fine - but NOT the olbas nasal sticks as they have different essential oils etc.

Buffythebabywearer Sun 09-Oct-16 21:01:53

I was told olbas oil fine (by an impatient / frustrated sounding midwife).

milkshakeandmonstermunch Sun 09-Oct-16 21:10:27

I feel your pain OP! I've been ill for weeks on end. I now hate hot lemon and honey. It did naff all for me. A hot (but not too hot - heaven forbid we enjoy anything at all) bath with a hot flannel to the face helps. Sparkling water too as the fizz seems to clear my throat slightly.

FabFiveFreddie Sun 09-Oct-16 21:21:46

Oh dear! Well, that's my 2 DC done for then! I practically lived on the stuff during both winter pregnancies.

champagneplanet Sun 09-Oct-16 21:31:48

OP you have my sympathy! I had it three weeks ago (pre BFP), then DH got it and I've caught it again (post BFP). Nothing I try is even coming close to touching it, and add that to the early bloating and extreme tiredness I feel dreadful!! Will be trying out these recommendations!

ConvincingLiar Sun 09-Oct-16 21:46:44

www.rowsehoney.co.uk/products/pure-honey-and-lemon-lozenges/ These are nice for a sore throat. I bought some in waitrose last week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now