Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early scan worries

(4 Posts)
fardells Sat 08-Oct-16 19:08:45

Hi all,

This morning myself and DP went for a private early pregnancy scan.

Having had a MC in August and then conceiving a few weeks later, we had used the MC date in place of a LMP and would have been 8+2.

Unfortunately they were unable to find anything abdominally and so we were offered the transvaginal scan which of course we accepted. However this did not offer much comfort to us either as the sonographer informed us that while my cervix was closed and there was a sac and thickened uterine walls, it looked very much like a very early pregnancy as it was not possible to see a baby. They have suggested that our dates might be wrong but we have been testing positive now since the 7th of September (the day before I would be due for AF).

The sonographers seemed worried which did not help my nerves in any way but only suggested a rescan in 2 weeks time and that if I experience any pain or bleeding to go to the hospital. We plan to go to our GP on Monday to get a referral to have a proper early pregnancy assessment done at the hospital but it is likely to be a week or so before we can be seen.

Both mine and DP's mums have told us that this is normal (and there are a lot of very similar posts out there) and so this calmed me down for a short while but having looked at the 2D scan images on the Pregnancy + app I have noticed that what we saw earlier looked most like a 2d scan at 4 weeks and now I'm worried again.

Is this normal? Has anyone gone through something similar and had the pregnancy "catch up" later on?

Thanks in advance smile

Whatsername17 Sat 08-Oct-16 19:24:30

I think all you can do is wait and see. I'm sorry, I know it's horrible but that is the only thing you can do. I hope it turns out well for you x

LuchiMangsho Sat 08-Oct-16 19:50:52

Because you didn't have a period after your MC it is hard to date the pregnancy. I will say (kindly) that in my experience having been there it is very very rare for someone with a regular cycle to be 4 weeks behind and for the pregnancy to be successful. There are three possibilities: one, that this pregnancy may fail (and I wish when I was in my limbo period, someone had said that to me outright, because I was SHOCKED having been buoyed by positive stories online), two, that you ovulated much much later and three, that the early positives you got were from left over HCG from your earlier miscarriage. There is however a decent chance that because of the MC, your cycle is out of whack and that things will be fine. I'm sending you all my best wishes.

fardells Sat 19-Nov-16 20:47:22

Thank you both - unfortunately it was a MC in the end but hoping for better things in the future. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now