Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Scanxiety

(19 Posts)
MrsChrisPratt Sat 08-Oct-16 07:44:10

I have a scan at 10am this morning and I'm terrified. I've had stress headaches the last few days, been up and down all night and awake since 5 confused

May seem OTT but this is a long awaited IVF pregnancy (4 rounds /4 years of trying) which started out as twins, one of which set lost at 9 weeks.

I'm 16+3 today and not felt any real movement yet which is making me paranoid, especially with people telling me they felt movement from 13 weeks.

Anyone else the same? Any tips on how to deal with it?

JosephineMaynard Sat 08-Oct-16 07:52:19

If it's any help, I'm on my 3rd pregnancy and have never felt movement as early as 16 weeks. My first 2 pregnancies I had the placenta at the front and was well past 20 weeks before I felt movement.

Other than that, the only thing I can suggest is trying to find other stuff to take your mind off it - easier said than done, I know.

Hope the scan goes well today.

Gardencentregroupie Sat 08-Oct-16 07:52:50

I was the same with DD (though only 2 years of trying and one MC). 16 weeks is super early for movement, I wasn't feeling any until about 18 or 19 weeks with her, so try not to worry about that. Was your 12 week scan ok? I'm sorry about the twin you lost. What can you do to keep busy? I took up crocheting to keep my hands and brain occupied smile

MrsChrisPratt Sat 08-Oct-16 07:58:15

That is reassuring about movement. My sister is very excited and is asking me everytime we speak if I've felt anything... Its freaking me out. 12 week scan was all good and we've had 2 since as I had episodes of bleeding- my body retained the twin that died so bleeding was from that but very unsettling all the same.

I have been knitting and watching a lot of gilmore girls! And going to bed early to try to cope with the headaches.

When we were having our ivf treatment I thought I'd be so happy once pregnant.... Turns out it's just a whole new world of stress sad

andadietcoke Sat 08-Oct-16 08:00:41

I ended up having a lot of private scans. I would get myself so worked up, and I barely felt movement due to where the placenta was.

FranksBobot Sat 08-Oct-16 08:03:45

With my first I didn't feel any movements until around 18 weeks. Second pregnancy was around 14/15 weeks but they were only tiny flutters that I recognised from the first time around.
I also suffered tension headaches during second pregnancy (much wanted pregnancy after loss) in the end the doctor prescribed me something for them (can't remember what they were called sorry) so maybe speak to GP or midwife to see if they can suggest anything.
I hope all goes well today and you feel more relaxed and reassured afterwards. Look after yourself flowers

hunnybunny619 Sat 08-Oct-16 08:10:11

This is normal. You only feel movements (maybe) that early if you've had pregnancies before as you know what to look out for, but as PP says if placenta is at the front then that muffles the feeling of movement for quite a while anyway. Completely understand the scanxiety but you've got this far with no obvious signs of an issue I guess? Just take that as comfort flowers

Once you get to 20+ weeks, you'll start to show properly, you'll feel movement and start to feel a bit more confident.

Best of luck for today!

hunnybunny619 Sat 08-Oct-16 08:14:34

Sorry, just saw the bleeding issue. But if you've had scans and the docs are looking after you, you kinda have to just take comfort that you're being looked after and hope for the best. Our baby has stopped growing at 34weeks so we're back and forth to the hospital at the moment. Weird times and all can do is hope everything OK. So yes, getting pg is only the first level of stress! Try not to let it get out of hand though, it sounds like you're looking after yourself. X

tigerdog Sat 08-Oct-16 08:17:14

No experience of the pregnancy issues but on round three of IVF so I know hard it must have been to get where you are and how terrifying it can be. Just wanted to wish you lots if luck really. Xx

MrsChrisPratt Sat 08-Oct-16 08:18:41

Haha, yeah hunny I wouldn't really class 4 rounds of IVF, a miscarriage with the foetus retained and multiple instances of bleeding as no issues grin... But you are right I have been getting really good care and things so far have looked ok with the surviving baby. I hope all goes well with you.

MrsChrisPratt Sat 08-Oct-16 08:20:10

IVF is brutal tiger, I wish you luck. I am sure it will be worth it when we are holding our babies.

Evergreen17 Sat 08-Oct-16 08:30:27

OP knitting and gilmore girls are my thing too!!!!
It is so normal to feel anxious so you are not being OTT
Regarding movement I am 22 weeks on Monday and I just started to feel something at 20 weeks or so.
The wait will soon be over and I wish you the best OP
Try to breathe and I hope 10 am gets here soon!

Oysterbabe Sat 08-Oct-16 12:20:58

How did you get on?

AppleJac Sat 08-Oct-16 12:25:50

I never felt movement with my first until 22 weeks. I think the average is 16-22 weeks

Gardencentregroupie Sat 08-Oct-16 12:29:46

Hope all went well?

GinIsIn Sat 08-Oct-16 12:38:04

Please don't worry about not feeling movement yet - it's very early! I'm 22 weeks with DC1 and it's only in the past week I've felt proper solid kicks.

MrsChrisPratt Sat 08-Oct-16 17:38:44

Hi All, sorry for not updating sooner,the day sort of ran away from me. Baby is looking perfect for dates, we saw all the major organs, everything is looking great....and we found out its a boy grin Really didn't care either way, but exciting to know. Dh is chuffed too.

Thanks so much for the support and reassurance, Mumsnet is great when you're being a bit irrational and need a sensible response!

EchoesOfLeon Sat 08-Oct-16 17:45:33

Glad it went well OP, totally understand the anxiety over scans. I've had fertility treatment, two MCs and now 35 weeks pregnant but still hate scans and get so worked up!! It's hard for anyone who hadn't had issues to understand, friends always say 'oh how exciting, you are having so many scans!' but it really isn't like that to us.
I felt movement at 18+ weeks so don't worry about not feeling anything yet.

FlipperSkipper Sat 08-Oct-16 18:15:50

I'm glad it went well. I'm 20 weeks with an ivf baby (IVF number 5) and have had two miscarriages so I understand the anxiety! I've only started to feel movement in the last week. It's hard, look after yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now