Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gestational Diabetes

(5 Posts)
Idratherbeaunicorn Thu 06-Oct-16 14:55:07

I have to have a GTT on monday (I'll be 28 +1) - I was considered high risk as my BMI was 30 and my DM has diabetes.
I'm getting myself in a panic and I've convinced myself that I have GD because I have eaten my weight in Guylian belgian chocolates (They're just so yummy!)
I really just wanted to hear from some other ladies that have had GD - what should I expect if the GTT comes back as me having GD? What happens next?
Thanks smile x

Watto1 Thu 06-Oct-16 15:00:06

I had it. It's a bit of a pain to be honest, but totally doable. I had to test my blood sugar levels first thing in the morning, and then 2 hours after each meal. You'll have to limit your carbs obviously. I had growth scans and an appointment with the diabetes nurse fortnightly. Ds was born at 39 weeks weighing 8lbs 12. Bigger than average but not massive by any means.

Idratherbeaunicorn Thu 06-Oct-16 15:10:59

Thanks Watto
Could you tell you had GD before the GTT? Did you have any symptoms?
Sorry if I'm being silly, I'm a bit of a worrier!

ApollO88 Thu 06-Oct-16 15:18:07

I had gd with ds. They diagnosed at 20 weeks and I was finger pricking several times a day. They put me on metaformin at a 25 weeks and I had extra scans. They had me inject insulin from 37 weeks and ds arrived at 38 weeks weighing 7lb7oz

Watto1 Thu 06-Oct-16 15:43:57

No, I didn't have symptoms. They tested me because my first baby was 10lb 13!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now