Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Advice regarding HG please

(3 Posts)
IAmSeriousAndDontCallMeShirley Wed 05-Oct-16 13:14:06

Hi,

I'm hoping Mumsnet will have some answers for me...

I'm 7weeks (+5) pregnant and have had to see my GP this morning as it's been 48 hours since I last kept water down.

She told me I definitely have HG. She sent me to the hospital for blood tests, and prescribed cyclazine, also signed me off work (which is awkward as they don't know yet.. not been back long from 1st mat leave).

But she didn't say what to do next? She said if it continues I will need a drip. But gave no indication of when/if I go back to her or the hospital? I was too busy bringing up bile to ask the relevant questions.

Obviously I need to give drugs a try, but as I'm not keeping water down I'm not sure how I'll get on with tablets.

If you have had HG- when did you go in for a drip if you needed it?

Thank you. X

SleepymrsE Wed 05-Oct-16 17:34:02

Hi iam, please come and join us on the hyperemesis support thread. Lots of us having been through or currently going through the horrors of HG. I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy, still on meds now after first being admitted at 5 weeks (prescribed cyclizine) and then readmitted at 8 weeks for a combination of meds (cyclizine and ondansatron) as well as hydration & iv meds. The second admission broke the sickness cycle and allowed me to keep down the oral meds. Often easier to try and take the meds just before bed as if you fall straight to sleep you're more likely to keep them down but it depends if you have a 'better' time of day - I was often better in a morning than at night. If you find the cyclizine isn't working then go back to your GP. There are a variety of meds to try. More than 2+ ketones is likely to result in hospital admission.

Although you are probably feeling really low right now, it does get better. And do come join the support thread.

IAmSeriousAndDontCallMeShirley Wed 05-Oct-16 22:12:05

Hi Sleepy,

Thank you so much. I will come and find the group.

I am also particularly bad in the evenings, and also early morning. Have been waking up to be sick.

Just managed to eat a little food- the first today, and an ice pop. Can't drink at all.
GP has only tested my bloods for U&Es I think. No urine taken or anything. She also kept saying that it's not advisable to take the tablets- but would give me the choice. Freaked me out a little.

Will be great to get some tips from others who have been through this. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now