Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

'You must be nearly due'

(12 Posts)
Gardencentregroupie Wed 05-Oct-16 09:40:37

Er no, I'm only 18 weeks, and no its not twins, and no total stranger going HAHAHA, you're not funny, feel free to fuck off. I'm not even that big - 3 days ago I met up with a friend who didn't even notice I was pregnant!

I know I should just ignore it but when a total stranger carries on talking and is basically telling you you're fat it's quite upsetting for an exhausted hormonal woman sad

malin100 Wed 05-Oct-16 10:09:06

I can't say it gets much better and I got it the other way as well 'but you're so small' - when I was upset already, awaiting a growth scan as they told me the baby was measuring worryingly small. People just need to learn not to comment, but before I was pregnant I probably said similar at some point or other.

Whatsername17 Wed 05-Oct-16 11:40:38

People feel they can comment. All of the time. With dd I was told I was 'huge' until about 30 weeks when I was reminded by everyone that I 'needed to feed that baby'! And that I was too small and the baby would be 'far too small'. Dd arrived weighing 7lb 15oz. Not big or small. Second time around I smile and say 'I'll have you know I make perfect babies you cheeky moo!' in a really jokey tone, whikst laughing so that no ine thjnks im being 'sensitive' or 'hormanal'. Then I ignore because I know that weight gain is part of being preggo and the end result is so worth it. One colleague replied with 'oh do you now?' and I just said 'obviously, you've met my daughter!' Totally shut him up because he could exactly make a mean comment about my 5 year old! Third time around (I lost my 2nd at 3 months pregnant) I'm so much more confident. Partly because I've had a loss so every day being pregnant is a blessing, and partly because I've done it once so I recognise when everyone else is talking shit. Good luck with your pregnancy and enjoy your gorgeous bump. flowers

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 05-Oct-16 11:46:22

I hear you. I was massive with my third (by my own admission) but I don't need people reminding me of this in the supermarket, thanks.
We went for a last night out about 3 days before he was born. I was wearing a black wrap dress and had my hair done in a lovely sleek bob. Some guy begging outside the theatre asked me if I was dawn French. I threatened to sit on him and he soon apologised.

popthisoneout Wed 05-Oct-16 11:46:24

I had this in both pregnancies. Men used to shout across the car park 'you got two in there love'. I was huge from the beginning and felt really embarrassed telling people I'm only 18 weeks etc.

The best one was 4 days postpartum in a lift a woman said 'you've not got long left'. She was blush when I said I had already delivered grin

popthisoneout Wed 05-Oct-16 11:47:56

Should say ignore them, people are twats. Everyone's body is different. I carry my babies completely out fri t and I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight two weeks after birth. I was literally all baby.

Pinklily1 Wed 05-Oct-16 12:55:24

It's so frustrating. I had days when someone told me I was tiny, and then later the same day someone told me I was huge. It really irritated me, but people seem to feel the need to comment.

Slave2thecat Wed 05-Oct-16 13:13:32

It's bloody annoying isn't it? Why do people need to comment? Also do people not realise that You Do Not Mess with a pregnant woman?!

melibu84 Wed 05-Oct-16 13:16:02

When I was about 4months pregnant, someone said to me "you must be having twins". I wasn't, and it really pissed me off. I really don't understand why people think they can say anything they want about womens bodies, particularly when they're pregnant!

MsFiremanSam Wed 05-Oct-16 13:25:22

I've had hundreds of comments like this. You're huge, is it twins, that child will have a head start in life, etc etc. One morning a few weeks ago a mum in the school playground came up to me and said 'I just wanted to tell you that you look really beautiful'. I cried! I am always going to tell pregnant women how amazing they are from now on.

elmo1980 Wed 05-Oct-16 14:21:50

The worst one I've had so far is from a man who, I think, was trying to ask me when I was due but instead said 'so when are you going to lose all the weight then?'

Yeah that made me feel good.

AudreyBradshaw Wed 05-Oct-16 14:22:32

Had the checkout person in Tesco yesterday tell me how massive I was for 33 weeks "and you're carrying exactly the same as my daughter and she's the same size as you and she's 38 weeks and the heads engaged she's only put on 9 lbs in the whole pregnancy and you're so much bigger than she was at 33 weeks" she genuinely never drew breath. I'd never seen her before in my life but she told me how much weight I'd put on.

I was too hmm to say anything cutting but I thought "do fuck off you cheeky cow" she clearly thought she was being chatty and endearing but actually she was rude and telling me how fat I was, in front of a long queue of people, which was embarrassing as fuck.

Somebody always comments on the day when I'very said "oh I don't feel so large today" to dh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now