Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

weight loss in pregnancy

(11 Posts)
Andysgirl15 Sun 02-Oct-16 14:48:36

Went for my 28 week MW app and baby's measuring 27 weeks which is fine but when she weighed me she said I haven't gained in this pregnancy in fact I've lost 5lbs and she would have liked to have seen at least a stone weight gain by now so she's sending me to the hospital to speak to a consultant and have a scan just to check on baby. Should I be worried???.

My DD was born at 41+4 weighing only 6lb 14oz and I lost 6lb with her so I'm thinking I just don't gain weight in pregnancy. If I've lost 5lbs already I know I'm gonna lose more than the 6lb I did with my daughter. If I continue to lose weight will the doctors want to bring him early just in case.

Sorry for the rant I'm full of questions at the moment

Allibear Sun 02-Oct-16 14:57:12

Some people do just lose weight in pregnancy. It's rare but I lost quite a bit due to being repulsed by the idea of most foods!! I went for a few growth scans and baby has always been a good size, I wouldn't worry just feel lucky you get to see your baby on an ultrasound again smile

panad317 Sun 02-Oct-16 15:04:51

Don't worry too much until your scan, I'm sure you will be assured that everything is going well and the baby is fine 😊
Did you notice any weight loss in the first trimester? I lost a stone in the first 12 weeks and then gained it on top of another few pounds. So in my notes it looked like I'd only gained a few pounds throughout.

Andysgirl15 Sun 02-Oct-16 16:54:43

I've had an easy pregnancy no morning sickness etc and have been eating normally so I'm really stumped at the weight loss

user1473371143 Sun 02-Oct-16 17:13:41

Is there any way it could be a recording error the first time you were weighed? Do you feel like you've lost 5+lb? Bearing in mind the extra blood, bigger breasts etc would have added an extra couple of pounds by now (I imagine). So it is probably more like 1/2 stone. This would show up on me - my clothes would be loose. Do you know your usual weight? Could you pop to a Boots and reweigh yourself? Sorry about any patronising questions. I can't believe without HG & with normal eating you've lost weight at this point!

Trifleorbust Sun 02-Oct-16 21:26:20

I lost weight (a couple of pounds, like you) before the start of the third trimester. Honestly, as long as baby is gaining and you are feeling well, it's not important. But in terms of an explanation, I think it could be because you are eating more healthily - lots of fruit and veg, no booze, getting plenty of rest so less desire to eat junk. Does this sound like you?

Mummyme87 Mon 03-Oct-16 07:43:39

There is no official recommendation for weight gain in pregnancy apart from avoid putting large amounts on... Hence why you shouldn't be weighed routinely. Typically those who are already overweight (BMI over 40 at booking) are the ones who get weighed.

You losing weight does not affect the growth of the baby. If you aren't trying to lose weight, then you have probably lost due to healthier eating, no alcohol etc

Andysgirl15 Mon 03-Oct-16 08:56:54

no healthy eating here I'm afraid lol I have cravings for crisps and chocolate and anything unhealthy really. I was 11 and half stone at booking in app and I weighed myself yesterday and I'm now a couple of pounds under 11 stone so it's still coming off. I can fit back into jeans I haven't been able to wear for a couple of years so I'm guessing it's not a recorded error I am actually losing weight

honeysucklejasmine Mon 03-Oct-16 09:01:52

I only gained 2 pounds ish, and taking in to account the weight of the baby, I lost weight overall. But that was due to MS and food aversion.

roarfeckingroar Mon 03-Oct-16 09:10:51

Did you drink much alcohol before you were pregnant?!i am fairly sure cutting wine out would see me lose half a stone in a couple of months at least ! grin

sj257 Mon 03-Oct-16 09:39:53

I lost weight when pregnant with my first, not sure how much but I started off pregnancy a size 16 and had to go out and buy size 14 jeans after as the 16s were too big. She was 10lb 6 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now