Advanced search

Is it silly to suggest induction?

(16 Posts)
Cococrumble Sat 01-Oct-16 22:52:15


I'm currently 34 weeks pregnant with DS who is our first baby. Throughout the pregnancy I've been having vertigo, blurred vision and fainting. Nothing has come up on my blood tests; my iron levels, blood pressure and urine samples are perfectly fine.

I've seen two GP's who have advised it's just one of those pregnancy things and that it should disappear once the baby arrives. My midwife is similarily unconcerned.

The thing is that I'm completely miserable. I've been signed off work, can't drive and can't go anywhere alone incase I faint. Some days it's so bad that I can't lift my head off the pillow.

Would it be silly/ dramatic/ selfish to ask my midwife about being induced early? Would it even be an option? I'm just so worn out with it all!

Grateful for your opinions!

Cococrumble Sat 01-Oct-16 22:52:32

Sorry DC not DS

drinkyourmilk Sat 01-Oct-16 22:53:32

Good lord no! In your circumstances I'd ask too.
I hope they agree.

Shadowboy Sat 01-Oct-16 22:54:20

A friend was induced at 37 weeks (full term) due to pregnancy related health issues so I'm sure it's possible!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sat 01-Oct-16 22:56:42

I'd ask to see a consultant. But 34 weeks is very early and your baby could be very poorly if born this early and you'd be looking at an NICU stay. So although it's awful for you it would probably be more awful to be induced and give birth now and have all that to deal with. Can you go on bed rest?

Cococrumble Sat 01-Oct-16 23:00:44

Oh I wouldn't want to be induced now, I was hoping maybe 37 weeks.

I think I will broach the subject at my appointment next week, I just hope she doesn't think I'm being ridiculous!

Abbey - I've been at home resting since mid July. It's been a looooong few months sad

I asked to be induced early for non pregnancy reasons (FIL was dying, and it was his first grandchild) and they would have done it at 38 weeks although they warned me it could lead to complications/long labour/intervention. As it happens FIL rallied and we decided against it. I can't see there's any danger in discussing it with a consultant, but be prepared to wait another month before they consider it.

JosephineMaynard Sat 01-Oct-16 23:05:01

They're unlikely to induce before 37 weeks (full term) unless there's an urgent need to deliver the baby - before then they can't be sure that the baby's lungs are fully developed.

But they will induce labour at 37 weeks if it's felt to be medically appropriate - if DS1 hadn't arrived spontaneously at 34 weeks, he'd have been induced at 37 weeks, as due to complications with the pregnancy, the doctors said that the risks to DS1 of continuing the pregnancy past 37 weeks outweighed the benefits of continuing the pregnancy past then.

The question is whether your symptoms would be considered severe enough by the doctors to induce labour at 37 weeks, but I certainly don't think it would be silly or selfish to ask about it.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sat 01-Oct-16 23:05:19

Sorry OP I thought by early you meant now!

I'd ask to see a consultant and ask him or her what they think. Even at 37 weeks it's still a balancing act as they prefer to wait until 39 where possible. So they'd weigh up how poorly you are Vs the early delivery if that makes sense.
No harm in asking though and hope all goes well

Nikki2ol6 Sun 02-Oct-16 08:49:12

I don't think they will, I got induced at 37+6 for reduced movement and I had an awful long labour of 17 hours he was getting distressed I wasn't getting passed 3cm. Thankfully this was just because his head was high once it came down I went from 3cm to birth within an hour. But they didn't want to induce me they done a scan first to see if he moved on the scan and he did so they said no way would they induce me as he looks good and they only induce if the mother or baby's life is at risk...... I went back a couple of days later with the same not moving issues and they started me off. His cord was compressed but we didn't know that until contractions started and his heart rate went down so I had to lay on my right side the whole labour!! It was not fun at all. You can ask but they often don't

lokahsamastah Sun 02-Oct-16 10:45:42

I've recently seen my consultant the discuss induction for similar reasons - HG throughout entire pregnancy as well as the fainting/lightheadedness you describe. He was very understanding but has said they prefer to only induce when there is clinical risk to baby or mother. However what he has signed off is for the midwife to do regular sweeps from 37 weeks, which they can usually only do from 40 weeks. I'm actually 37+4 now and have opted to hang on a bit longer to give baby the most benefits, but it is a relief to know that I can request this if my symptoms become overwhelming. Perhaps you could ask your midwife to refer you to discuss this as an option? It's horrid having symptoms that effectively sign you off life/fun/all the last minute bits you want to enjoy - I'm right there with you.

sycamore54321 Sun 02-Oct-16 18:34:40

I am horrified you haven't seen a consultant obstetrician and/or neurologist with those symptoms. They could be really serious. If I were you, I would begin phoning first thing Monday to insist on a referral.

As for your question, discussing a 37 week induction is not at all ridiculous when you are suffering so badly and any healthcare professionals who would not engage with you on this would frankly be unprofessional. You matter too, your pain is real and not something to be written off in some kind of mummy- martyr mindset by social pressure. Please ask to speak to a consultant ob as soon as possible on this, and insist on further investigation of your symptoms.

Best wishes

Cococrumble Sun 02-Oct-16 19:53:45

Thank you all so much it's really helpful to hear your experiences! It's been a bit weird to be honest as all my tests including an ecg have come back normal yet nothing has changed with the symptoms over the last three months.

I'm going to research things bit more and bring it up with my midwife next week. Now that my bump is much bigger I'm scared of doing some damage when I faint. Even if they say no at least I'll have an answer!

oatybiscuits Sun 02-Oct-16 22:15:04

Your situation sounds horrible op. However I had an induction due to being 2 weeks overdue and I heartily do not recommend it unless there's a medical need. I don't know anyone who's had an induction without other interventions ( for me it was forceps ). It does make a big difference to how your labour goes

sj257 Sun 02-Oct-16 22:56:09

I have had two inductions without intervention just to give some balance there x

I understand your frustrations OP I am suffering with something kidney related and the thought of going to 40 weeks and beyond is completely overwhelming right now. I am hoping that my past history of huge babies will at least allow me an induction a week or two before my due date if my kidney problem does not x

MrsHulk Mon 03-Oct-16 07:49:12

Can I suggest you search on here for threads about induction experiences - it's very very common to have complications and long term problems caused by induction (in my case very long labour, forceps, prolapse causing long term incontinence and pain). It's really not a good option if there's any way to avoid it. I'm actually choosing a Caesarian rather than another induction this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now