Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sciatica - what helps?!

(10 Posts)
daisygirlmac Thu 29-Sep-16 20:24:52

I am 22 weeks and completely miserable due to sciatica. There is no comfortable position to be in, I'm currently in bed with a hot water bottle but is there anything else I can try? I can't have a bath as we're waiting for an oil delivery so no hot water tonight. I think I'll have to try and get a GP appointment tomorrow but any short term suggestions gratefully received!

Tinklypoo Thu 29-Sep-16 20:32:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tinklypoo Thu 29-Sep-16 20:34:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Thu 29-Sep-16 20:34:59

Ask your midwife if you can loan a TENS machine. . I had bad sciatica with baby 11 and used one from about 20 weeks. Even went camping and slept on an air bed for a fortnight!!
Magic!!

daisygirlmac Thu 29-Sep-16 20:38:10

I've had a couple of paracetamol I couldn't bear it, will ask tomorrow about a TENS machine. My mum is a physio and she has suggested some positions which help a bit but she's a long way away so I'll probably be better asking for a physio referral as well. Just can't even contemplate another 18 weeks of this

user1473371059 Fri 30-Sep-16 23:54:51

I can totally sympathise, I have sciatica that comes and goes and swaps sides - this was even before pg.

The pigeon yoga pose is helpful as stretching it out, also have you got an exercise/birth ball to sit on? I find it helps me x

Imnotaslimjim Fri 30-Sep-16 23:57:41

Have you got a spare duvet? Lie on your side in the recovery position with the sore side facing upwards, hooking your leg over the rolled up duvet.

Also, try spending some time on your hands and knees if you can, it helps take the weight of the baby off the sciatic nerve.

HalfStar Fri 30-Sep-16 23:57:56

Reflexology.

MrsCillianMurphy Sat 01-Oct-16 07:18:13

Reflexology for me too

daisygirlmac Sat 01-Oct-16 15:14:02

Thanks everyone I'll give everything a go!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now