Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

turning a breech baby, what REALLY works?

(58 Posts)
mustthinkofabetterusername Thu 29-Sep-16 17:27:43

34 and a half week pregnant, baby been breech for a fortnight now. In real life, what has worked for you?
(needs to be practical - I am off and looking after 2yo dc1)

As always, thanks in advance mn!

Slothlikesundays Thu 29-Sep-16 17:31:13

I spent an hour meticulously vaccing and scrubbing kitchen floor on my hands and knees. She turned 20 mins after I sat down. I was hmm when the midwife said it but it worked

seven201 Thu 29-Sep-16 17:33:28

Evc, although didn't work for me! It's still early though so he/she might just turn by themselves. I tried lots of things but my dd didn't shift.

malin100 Fri 30-Sep-16 12:54:41

None of the positions or old wives tales worked for me. An ECV was successful at 38 weeks.

MoreGilmoreGirls Fri 30-Sep-16 12:58:56

Spinningbabies.com, breech at 36 weeks after a week of doing the exercises he turned. At 34 weeks you still have plenty of time fir them to turn on their own.

Winegumaddict Fri 30-Sep-16 14:11:38

Spinning babies for me both times. I've just turned DC2 fingers crossed they stay head down now.

DramaAlpaca Fri 30-Sep-16 14:18:22

Scrubbing the kitchen floor on my hands & knees also worked for me, at the suggestion of my midwife.

DS obviously didn't like that too much because he flipped a short while later, which was a very odd sensation indeed for me.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Fri 30-Sep-16 14:23:09

DS broke his waters when he turned at 36 weeks, also managed to wrap the cord round his neck.
spinningbabies.com is great

mustthinkofabetterusername Fri 30-Sep-16 14:34:21

thanks ladies, I'll check out that website

Fluffsnuts Fri 30-Sep-16 16:01:29

Please be aware that some babies don't turn due to physical factors in their environment such as short cords. It's nothing to worry about and nothing you do (other than ecv) will make them turn if that's the case!

CocktailQueen Fri 30-Sep-16 21:26:47

Try ideas from spinning babies website but agree with Fluff - some babies might not be able to turn.

Dd was persistently breech and I had a failed Ecv. When I had Dd by cs, we found the cord was wrapped three times round her neck and she was stuck in one half of my uterus, which was bicornuate.

Good luck.

StrawberrytallCake Fri 30-Sep-16 21:29:29

I watched a lot of tv over my birthing ball - in a similar position to cleaning the floor on hands and knees, but a lot less work! grin

StrawberrytallCake Fri 30-Sep-16 21:30:28

Dd1 turned at 38 weeks btw so it can happen late - I was lying in bed and I saw (and felt it) my bump went horizontal, v odd but also pleasing!

TisConfusion Fri 30-Sep-16 21:33:45

The only thing that worked for me was an ECV at 37+4.
Worth trying all you can though, good luck!

SpartaCarcass Fri 30-Sep-16 22:09:12

Cold shower! Holding the show head I directed the water at bump / baby's head. Baby moved away from it and down .... 'feet over cervix' to head down! Happy day.

HarryPottersMagicWand Fri 30-Sep-16 22:15:21

DS was transverse at 37 weeks. He turned himself, I didn't do anything.

DD was breech. I hung upside down off the sofa every night, rocked on hands and knees then had ECV. Nothing worked and I'd never have an ECV again. Even the midwife was stood there cringing and said to me after she couldn't believe I let the doctor do that. Had a section. Was lovely and relaxed.

TribbleTrouble Fri 30-Sep-16 22:20:06

I've heard of some people going into a dark room and shining a light at the bottom of their bump. Some people do that feet wavy stick thing (can't think of what its called) or acupuncture.

han01uk Fri 30-Sep-16 22:22:43

Acupuncture. There is still plenty of time to turn though so don't worry just yet!

Scrantonicity Fri 30-Sep-16 22:25:05

Turned a large 37 weeker with frozen peas and lots of time on my knees and elbows. Cord twice round the neck and true knot but all well and she's now 11 and at secondary

Greenbigtree Fri 30-Sep-16 22:50:03

I went for moxibustion with my first. Whether she moved because of that or any other reason, but she did turn

GregorSamsa Fri 30-Sep-16 22:51:46

ECV

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 30-Sep-16 22:53:26

Midwife told me to clean my skirting boards and that worked...

Beware ECVs

mineofuselessinformation Fri 30-Sep-16 22:58:39

Dc1 turned at 38 weeks (and was a big baby - 8lbs 13oz born) when I drove over a very bumpy road (roads in the fens are terrible!) It hurt like hell, I thought it was labour! But it was worth it.

dramalamma Fri 30-Sep-16 23:06:47

Webster technique chiropractor turned mine at 36 weeks - it adjusts the pelvis so there is more room for baby to get into the right position (which helps with birth as well). Would definitely recommend

YoullNeverWeeAlone Fri 30-Sep-16 23:11:40

Moxabustation (sp.?) - not for me as mine weren't breach but for a couple of friends.

Have another friend who ecv did not work for, had section in end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now