Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

C section or not?

(24 Posts)
Stilldreamingofsun Wed 28-Sep-16 15:14:48

Hi all,
My doctor is suggesting I book a c-section. I am a 35 year old, FTM. I am currently 35 weeks pregnant. She thinks there are three issues:
1. Placenta is a bit low (although a normal delivery should be possible).
2. Amniotic fluid is on the low side and she is monitoring this.
3. The baby's head is already measuring full term.
Based on this, do you think I should hold out and try to do this naturally or allow her to book me in for a c section (she wants to make the decision next week)

Thank you for the advice.

LottieDoubtie Wed 28-Sep-16 17:34:08

If the doc suggests it I would be inclined to have it.

ToInfinity Wed 28-Sep-16 17:45:41

I agree with Lottie
I had a c section on the docs advice. It was so relaxed and easy that I'm gonna have another one with DC2!

ConvincingLiar Wed 28-Sep-16 19:39:40

I'd go with the doctor's advice.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 28-Sep-16 20:07:48

Are you having another scan on the location of the placenta? I'd advise getting that done. If it is low then you need a c section. I had placenta praevia and it's not worth risking it. Are you due another scan?
I'd go with what the consultant says.

Stilldreamingofsun Thu 29-Sep-16 07:45:18

Yes, I'm going again on Tuesday. MY very cynical friend has suggested that as I am a private patient, the consultant is trying to strong arm me into having a c section so she makes more money from the insurance 😱

Suzietwo Thu 29-Sep-16 07:54:58

How many children do you want? Multiple (more than 2) sections aren't nice so if you want a large family I'd try to avoid it. Private consultants do seem to push sections which are probably safer than natural delivery but I wouldn't think it's for the money!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 29-Sep-16 08:12:57

Ok so at the scan they should give you measurements of where the placenta is - how close. I think nhs guidance is more than 2cm away to attempt vaginal delivery otherwise a c section is advised slightly early.
If your friend is making you cynical then check the scan. Not sure what country you are in but doubt they'd make things up about placenta and fluid.

NovemberInDailyFailLand Thu 29-Sep-16 08:25:32

I think it depends on how important trying for a vaginal birth is to you. I'm having an elective on medical advice because a big head can tear you up a lot, as it did with my DC2.

Stilldreamingofsun Thu 29-Sep-16 08:34:56

I'm hoping to have one more after this if I can (I'm 35 ATM). I live in Italy- I feel I've had very good care so far. The placenta is 'borderline, according to the doctor, but there are also the factors of the big head and possibly fluid. My worst nightmare would be to go into labour and then they have to do an emergency c section 😩

NovemberInDailyFailLand Thu 29-Sep-16 08:37:09

Loads of people have 2 sections after 35. So don't worry about that smile

Suzietwo Thu 29-Sep-16 08:58:27

2 is no problem! 4 is no problem (I've had 4) just not very nice, so if it's avoidable I'd avoid. But take advice from professionals - they know what they're talking about!

Stilldreamingofsun Thu 29-Sep-16 11:00:08

Another point I forgot to make is I am O negative and my DP is O positive.

ICuntSeeYourPoint Thu 29-Sep-16 18:34:34

How far along are you? With the head measuring full term I'd take the elective section. My ds had a big head (thanks dh) and they wouldn't let me have a planned c-sec (I begged), then after 12 hours labour they decided he's too big, he's not coming out that way so don't push, and I had to have an emergency c-sec. Cunts. Anyway, if a planned section is on offer and advised I'd definitely take it.

Fluffsnuts Thu 29-Sep-16 20:05:25

If I could have my time again, I'd definitely be opting for s c section.

LostAtTheFair Thu 29-Sep-16 20:07:08

I've done both with big headed children and c section is vastly preferable IMHO

5madthings Thu 29-Sep-16 20:13:41

Find out where placenta is.

Head circumferences are notoriously unreliable from scan, esp once baby is head down. I had s baby with a head off the chart 41cm easiest birth I have had in birth pool.

Re c section planned one can go smoothly but it does increase your risks for any further pregnancies ie placenta previa and placenta acretia(sp) both more likely once you have had a c section. It is major surgery for you. But equally a non straightforward vaginally birth can take some recovering from.

I think in Italy they have high rates of c sections and aren't very pro 'natural' birth, from friends who have birthed there.

Do your research and get a second opinion if you want to.

But if placenta is too low you won't have any choice.

bingolittle Thu 29-Sep-16 20:17:30

My friend had a baby with a large head and opted for a vaginal birth despite the NHS recommending a c-section. She ended up with major damage including a prolapsed womb (after several procedures to try to shore it up, she eventually had a hysterectomy in her early 40s). So no more kids for her after that one - not that she was planning any, luckily.
OK, this is an extreme case, and I'm sorry to be coming in with a scary story, but her experience was enough to convince me that I would ALWAYS have a c-section if the doctors recommended it. At least with a c-section you have limited and predictable damage. I had an emergency c-section with my first and a vaginal delivery with my second, and if I ever had a third I would opt for a planned c-section if possible - no question. If I'm going to have stitches, I'd rather they were c-section ones.

Stilldreamingofsun Fri 30-Sep-16 08:34:33

Thank you all- I think you're right re: c section. I definitely don't want to start labour and then be rushed for emergency c section- sounds stressful for both me and baby. My next appointment is on Tuesday (36 weeks) so if her opinion is the same re: placenta, size of head and amniotic fluid, I will be guided by her to book the c section. Scary times 😬

Stilldreamingofsun Fri 30-Sep-16 08:37:34

Sorry one further question- we will be moving back to UK next year and if I can, I would love a second baby at some stage. How willing are NHS to allow you to have an elective c section? Does it have to be on the advise of the gynaecologist?

NovemberInDailyFailLand Fri 30-Sep-16 08:41:23

It depend where you live, but generally they will listen to your wishes.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Fri 30-Sep-16 08:45:07

Regarding repeat c section it really depends on the hospital and consultant. I had quite a fight (first section was emergency due to placenta praevia) but eventually they did give in

NovemberInDailyFailLand Fri 30-Sep-16 10:41:00

It does - you can change hospitals, though, if you wish, and consultants.

bingolittle Fri 30-Sep-16 13:41:51

I was offered an elective c-section by the NHS with my second child - this was because I'd had an emergency c-section with the first. I think that if you've already had one c-section then it's relatively normal to be offered another one.

They said it was up to me: I could choose to go for the c-section or for a vaginal birth. If I went for a vaginal birth, there was a very small chance that the c-section scar would start to open up under the strain of labour, but this was very rare and if there was any sign of it happening (or any other complication) then they would just do an emergency c-section immediately.

In the end I went for a vaginal birth, partly because I wanted to be able to drive a car etc. quite soon after giving birth, and partly because I had a vague feeling that I hadn't done it "properly" the first time round. (From my perspective now this seems ridiculous, but that was my reasoning at the time!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now