Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do we need a video baby monitor?

(60 Posts)
Elland Tue 27-Sep-16 15:24:37

What's your opinions on normal baby monitors vs video baby monitors?

If you've got a video one are they worth it or do you think you would have been fine with a normal one?

Does anyone have recommendations for both normal and video?

eurochick Tue 27-Sep-16 15:26:00

I love it. When she whimpers we can see if she is properly awake or just shifting a bit.

fruityb Tue 27-Sep-16 15:27:05

We've got one but as yet haven't used it lol. He's still in with us. But we really wanted one for peace of mind and so we can see if he needs us or whether he's just moving.

Littleelffriend Tue 27-Sep-16 15:27:34

I thought it was a stupid idea but dp wanted one and he was paying. I love it now, very reassuring. Ours is Motorola.

MyBreadIsEggy Tue 27-Sep-16 15:33:55

I've had one since Dd was about 7 months old. She's 17 months now and I still use it. It's great for when she's doing toddler gymnastics in her cot/trying to climb out, because she's learned recently to do that in silence hmm so even if she's not making any noise, I can still see her bed time antics! We will be getting another one for DS's room when the time comes.

Yawnyawnallday Tue 27-Sep-16 15:34:43

I didn't have one. I got to know her little noises from the audio monitor and if I was concerned I went to check. We only have a little house. Didn't think it necessary. Still don't.
I think it might have made me even more twitchy and paranoid.

MyBreadIsEggy Tue 27-Sep-16 15:34:55

Mine is a Motorola one too, it has video, sound, thermometer and the option to speak to Dd from our end if we need to

ConvincingLiar Tue 27-Sep-16 15:41:23

You don't need one, but they can be very useful. We have a small flat so can hear baby from the sofa but it's useful to be able to see if he's awake before going in as he often cries in his sleep. We have an internet based one but I've found the non internet one is useful as you could take it to a friend's/a hotel without too much hassle.

sianihedgehog Tue 27-Sep-16 15:46:27

Tbh I barely even use our regular monitor. It's recommended to have the cot in your room at first, so I don't need it at night, and honestly I hear DS shouting if he wakes up from a nap and needs me even I'm downstairs.

I think the usefulness depends on the individual baby and on how you find yourself parenting, so I wouldn't bother buying it in advance.

0phelia Tue 27-Sep-16 15:48:56

Never had one. We had cot in our bedroom for the first 9-10 months and our house is small. I think it's better to just listen out and check regularly.

Hamsolo Tue 27-Sep-16 15:51:16

Not essential but we got one when my older daughter moved into her own room at 11 months, and if it breaks I'll replace it with another. The useful thing us you can see things you can't hear (she's climbing out of the cot again 😫)

PotteringAlong Tue 27-Sep-16 15:53:07

No. The regular monitor was used infrequently too.

4yoniD Tue 27-Sep-16 16:34:08

You don't need one but I loved watching dd sleep, and later watching her antics when she was meant to be asleep!

Wolfiefan Tue 27-Sep-16 16:35:48

Never had a baby monitor. Unless you have a cavernous mansion you will soon hear when your baby wants to be fed.

Laineymc7 Tue 27-Sep-16 16:37:25

I've got a video one and love it. I love seeing what my little one is up to in her cot. We use it every night and nap times. I bought the tommee tippee one when it was £90. Expensive but they are worth it. Get one.

Leapling Tue 27-Sep-16 16:40:49

Please get one. I didn't have a monitor as in our small house I could easily hear crying. It's not crying you need to worry about, it's not crying. It may not have made any difference to me but it just might've.

ConvincingLiar Tue 27-Sep-16 17:06:57

Leapling I'm so sorry for your loss flowers Please try not to torture yourself with all the what ifs.

Artandco Tue 27-Sep-16 17:10:08

I don't like them, it relies on them working and false safety. I would always just have a baby sleeping in my room until out of cot at 2-3 years.

Batteriesallgone Tue 27-Sep-16 17:12:29

Love mine. Especially for naps. But agree that they shouldn't really be on their own day or night until at least over 6m (more like a year for mine...) so you could wait and see how you feel when the baby is here.

Palegreenstars Tue 27-Sep-16 17:20:34

Agree with Siani it depends on the individual baby how useful it would be.

We bought the Motorola non video one which had great recommendations on Amazon and at 5 months is suiting us fine. It's only about £30 so we thought we'd start with that and then invest in a video one if we felt it necessary when she moves into nursery.

I've been told there are decent apps you can buy if you've got 2 iOS devices (iPad, iPhone etc) which converts them into baby monitor which could be a cheap option to see how useful video is.

TeaBelle Tue 27-Sep-16 17:25:15

I wouldn't be without ours. Tbh, if you're an anxious parent then it doesn't really help in that sense ie the picture isn't that good that you can see if they are breathing. However as others have said, it allows you to see whether baby is fully awake or just whimpering in sleep, trying to climb out etc. Also, I disagree that you will definitely hear baby - we have a 4 bed house but not huge. With 2 doors shut I definitely wouldn't hear dd especially when I'm completely shattered. I also think it will be useful at the age she wants to play in her own room.

islandmummy Tue 27-Sep-16 17:29:36

I really loved ours. Like others have said, it's not just so you hear them crying, it's a little window into how they act/what they get up to when you're not there (as their main focus of attention). Not necessary, but nice to have.

polkadotdelight Tue 27-Sep-16 17:31:21

We love ours. Peace of mind and it helps to know if DS is just making noise in his sleep or trying to escape from his cot.

sentia Tue 27-Sep-16 17:35:15

We didn't because I wasn't confident it wouldn't be hacked.

Elland Tue 27-Sep-16 17:37:11

Thanks for the advice everyone! We'll do as the majority suggest and get a video one but we'll wait until he goes in to his own room before buying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now