Advanced search

38+ weeks breech / reassurance needed

(4 Posts)
figsandalmonds Wed 21-Sep-16 10:02:43

So baby was breech at 36 weeks (confirmed by scan), booked for an ECV at 37 weeks which didn't happen because baby had turned by itself by then. 38 week appointment GP appointment this morning confirmed baby had turned again - GP said baby is 'sideways', she wouldn't say transverse.

ECVs are only done Tuesdays at our local hospital and it's difficult to get an appointment, so not sure they'll do this next Tuesday when I'll be 39+1.

Baby might turn again right? But at what point do they decide to do a c-section? How long do they wait for the baby to turn?

I'm really anxious. We lost our first child in pretty traumatic circumstances so very medicalised interventions and all this uncertainty is difficult to deal with...

Any thoughts?

Heidipiedy Wed 21-Sep-16 10:14:32

I didnt want to read and Run. I don't have much input but My last was an Undiagnosed Breech - found out at induction. I had no waters so they said they couldnt turn him otherwise that would have been an option, so presume if your waters are intact they can attempt to turn right up untill labour? Anyone correct me if Im wrong.

All I can suggest is dont slouch when sitting and bounce on a birthing ball if you have one, try and get baby in right position naturally!!
Also hear that Accupunture and these type things are great for getting body in correct way for birth - thinking about booking myself in later on to make sure this monkey isnt breech!

Hope baby turns and you have a stress free delivery smile

3luckystars Wed 21-Sep-16 10:29:49

The same thing was happening to me with my daughter at 37 weeks. There was no way I would have gotten ECV, absolutely no way. She turned the right way again and came out no problem at 39 weeks. I was amazed when I saw the size of her that she was able to turn at that stage.

I would have had no problem with a section though, planned ones can be lovely so I wasn't afraid of it and would have totally accepted it rather than get ECV. I am so sorry to hear about your first child, it's totally understandable that you would be worrying.

Very best wishes for a safe delivery x

VeryPunny Wed 21-Sep-16 10:36:45

My first DC was breech, and totally refused to turn. We did try for ECV, but once diagnosed as breech at 37 weeks (midwife wasn't sure and referred me for positioning scan as we were planning a homebirth) I was offered choice straight away of ECV or book in for section then. Elective sections are done at 39 weeks here; I would be amazed if you aren't offered a section straight away, especially given your past history. Do you have a midwife you can call?

I tried for a vaginal breech delivery with DC1 (consultants extremely supportive). She got stuck most of the way out so we had an EMCS but it was all extremely calm and wonderful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now