Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

20 wk scan - placenta not high enough

(17 Posts)
imisschocolate Thu 15-Sep-16 18:23:16

I've had my 20 wk scan today and the midwife has booked me in for an additional scan at 32 wks cause my placenta is not where it should be. Its not on my cervix, just not quite right. from what i can see from looking this isn't something to worry about until the next scan to see if the placenta is in the right place.

Has anyone else had this?

Whatsername17 Thu 15-Sep-16 18:30:01

Me! I'm 22 weeks and mine is also low. Apparently, most move and are not a problem. If not, we will have a c-section at 38 weeks.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 15-Sep-16 18:58:22

I had this with DS. It's usually nothing to worry about as 9 out of 10 posterior move up. Obviously that means 1 out of 10 don't.
I was the 1 in 10 and had an emergency c section at 35 weeks but DS is fine now and 2 years old!
I would say if it's still low later on pack your bag. It doesn't hurt to do this early as you need to pack it anyway at sone point. If you bleed in the last trimester you might be put on bed rest. And DH bringing me ridiculous white underwear and packing my bag didn't help 😀

Whatsername17 Thu 15-Sep-16 19:00:44

My placenta is anterior- does that make a difference?

SabrinaTheTeenageBitch Thu 15-Sep-16 19:03:23

Mine was exactly the same. It had moved by the time the additional scan was taken. Majority of them do

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 15-Sep-16 19:03:28

I was told anterior is 50/50 but I think that's because it's difficult for the placenta to move up over c section scars. If you have an unscarred uterus it's probably the same. I'd ask your consultant though, I can't clearly remember it all

soundsystem Thu 15-Sep-16 19:06:42

I'm in the same boat. No advice really other than to reiterate that most do move up. Apparently pregnancy yoga can be helpful, if that's something that appeals?

I'm a planner so the waiting to see is frustrating but I guess giving birth isn't easy to plan anyway.

Good luck!!

Whatsername17 Thu 15-Sep-16 19:09:46

I'm struggling with the wait too. I don't really mind but I'd sooner know.

Whatsername17 Thu 15-Sep-16 19:10:09

I don't mind which way I deliever^

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 15-Sep-16 19:10:22

Book a private scan?

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 15-Sep-16 19:11:50

About a third of women have a c section anyway, even without placenta praevia. So worth thinking about both if you like to plan as nothing is guaranteed.
Good luck to all

imisschocolate Thu 15-Sep-16 19:21:01

Thanks for all the comments. This is what I thought from what I'd been able to find.

If the worst thing that happens is I have a c-section then its not exactly the end of the word!

Whatsername17 Thu 15-Sep-16 19:22:47

If I booked a private scan I'd still have to wait to see if it moves before 32 weeks. I need to develop some patience!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 15-Sep-16 19:27:11

I meant if you booked it for say 28 weeks and it had moved up far enough then you'd know before 32. But I see what you mean.
If it doesn't move by 32 it's another scan at 36 by the way. Although I missed that one!

Dlah Thu 15-Sep-16 19:39:18

Just for info, my friend had this (well actually full placenta previa) - and she got a very small bleed when it moved - nothing to worry about - was just it moving up! All OK by 32 weeks smile

SabrinaTheTeenageBitch Thu 15-Sep-16 19:50:37

Ahh yes that's a good point, I got a small (but very scary) bleed which they said was probably caused by my placenta moving. Baby was fine

Sunshinegirl82 Thu 15-Sep-16 21:57:57

I had this picked up at 20 week scan. I did have a couple of relatively small bleeds which required an overnight stay in hospital. I think this is more common than people think with a low lying placenta. I was obvious terrified at the time and I did end up having some time off work to rest but the situation righted itself and I went to term without any further issues.

If you do have any bleeding at all then it's important to call triage straight away and to tell them that you have a low lying placenta. My hospital's policy was to keep you in for observation until bleeding had stopped for 24 hours but I expect different hospitals will have different policies. I only highlight the bleeding because it was so unexpected for me that I completely freaked out! No-one really told me that it was possible that a low lying placenta could cause bleeding so I was very unprepared.

Placenta did move out of the way and I was cleared for a vaginal birth (ended up with an emcs but for completely unrelated reasons!)

Ultimately everything turned out fine and 12 week old ds is now sleeping peacefully beside me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now