Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gender errors at ultrasound?

(12 Posts)
MilkyMamma Thu 15-Sep-16 13:07:18

I have had my anomaly u/s at 21 weeks and were told it's a little girl, very exciting. However, I can't get it out of my head what if they've got it wrong!

She seemed pretty sure and said she could see '5 clear lines' but I just can't help that feel paranoid because she didn't really check from any other angle.

Has anyone ever been told girl then had a boy?
I've heard of it before but don't know if it's rare or not.

ShowMeTheElf Thu 15-Sep-16 13:09:25

Anomaly scan is to look for anomalies and they never guarantee sex determination. Yes, it is sometimes wrong, but more likely to be right than your feeling FWIW.

MilkyMamma Thu 15-Sep-16 13:13:37

Thanks. Oh yes I totally understand that, and was very relieved to know everything was ok.
We didn't find out the gender last time and it's new territory for me, sort of wishing we'd said no now as I'm not really any the wiser!
We certainly can't afford or justify a private scan, I'll have to just hold off on buying anything girlie until baby is here safely. Not that I plan on plastering her in pink anyway!

BettyOBarley Thu 15-Sep-16 13:14:52

I know someone who was told a girl and it was a boy!

I think it is more common that way round than a boy being mistaken for a girl.

I do think it's probably right more often than not though. If its really important for you to know you could always pay for another private gender scan maybe?

BettyOBarley Thu 15-Sep-16 13:15:25

Sorry X post re gender scan.

wm3010 Thu 15-Sep-16 13:28:53

When I had DD, now 2.5, the sonographer told me that they did occasionally get it wrong, something like one in every 15,000 scans. Pretty good odds really but if you turn out to be the one then I suppose that might not be much consolation. I always tried to keep in my head that there was a very small chance they could be wrong and we didn't go mad on pink stuff (although we wouldn't have anyway). Now 20+6 with my second DD according to the scan on Tuesday. They were able to tell more or less as soon as they got an image, my DH immediately said "oh, a boy" and the sonographer said "no, that's the cord, you can see the straight lines here" and showed them to us. She didn't look at the sex again because of the way the baby moved after so I did feel a little bit like you, wondering how she could be sure, but she did give us the photo (said she had printed it accidentally) and you can see the labia on it. The first time round the sonographer said that with a boy the sex organs are figure of eight shaped and with a girl they are straight so it is not just about presence or absence of a penis, it is more detailed than that.

MilkyMamma Thu 15-Sep-16 13:35:26

Wow that's bigger odds than I thought actually. I guess it also depends who you get and how experienced they are. I'm hoping she was pretty experienced because she had someone in with her that she was training.

When she was doing the leg measurements I'm sure I could see the 3 lines, but when she said she could see 5 that confused me a bit, not sure what they all are! I'm just worried that because she didn't look 'round the corner' so to speak (ha) that there wasn't anything tucked away. I guess I just need to wait and see. I can't deny that I'm desperately excited it's a girl and so can't help the doubt as I'm setting myself up to hear she's a he at birth!

Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy, wm3010

LynseyH Thu 15-Sep-16 19:17:53

I've been driving myself nuts with this same question! I was told a girl at a private scan and since then heard all the stories of how they get it wrong. I went on Facebook and asked a few groups on there what they thought, they've told me she is very definitely a little girl! I have 3 lovely boys so a little girl is also very exciting for us!

MilkyMamma Thu 15-Sep-16 21:42:28

Ooh fingers crossed for you, how wonderful!

I wish I'd asked for a printout as proof now ha!grin

Coconutty Thu 15-Sep-16 21:44:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Unlockable Thu 15-Sep-16 21:46:47

Yes. My boy is actually a girl. 2 scans told me she was a boy. She definitely isn't and she definitely doesn't have ambiguous genitalia!

MilkyMamma Fri 16-Sep-16 09:14:31

Eek, oh no! I guess we'll only know for sure when baby is here really!

Trying hard not to get excited, but it's so hard not to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now