Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Induction - do they still use the gel?

(9 Posts)
sj257 Wed 14-Sep-16 21:46:43

I know they brought out a new thing for induction, that stays inside you? I was induced in both other pregnancies and they used a gel to induce me, a double dose each time because my cervix wasn't favourable and it sent me into labour a few hours later. I've read a lot of birth stories recently where this other pessary was used and it took people days to go into labour properly, and it's starting to worry me because it's looking very likely that I will need to be induced this time too....can I request the gel?

Flisspaps Wed 14-Sep-16 21:49:06

The pessary does the same thing as the gel.

If you're already dilated >2-3cm they may not bother and suggest skipping straight to breaking your waters

sj257 Wed 14-Sep-16 21:54:29

I'm presuming you can't get a double dose of the pessary like they did with the gel though

melibu84 Wed 14-Sep-16 21:54:52

Everyone is different. I had the propase on a string, and they had to pull it out because I was over stimulated, and had 8 contractions in 10 minutes.

melibu84 Wed 14-Sep-16 21:55:48

If by pessary, you mean the same thing I had, they will try again 24 hours later if it doesn't work.

frikadela01 Wed 14-Sep-16 21:56:29

I had the gel 11 weeks ago. I think it depends on the trust which method they use.

sj257 Wed 14-Sep-16 21:58:54

Trying again the next day scares me! Both other times i was given the gel around 8pm and started contracting by midnight.

Spotsandstars Thu 15-Sep-16 09:57:50

I had the pessary and my ds was born two hours after first mild contractions started. It was crazy quick, everyone is different!

KatamariDamacy Thu 15-Sep-16 10:48:55

The pessary and gel contain the same thing. The idea of the pessary is that it's easier to remove if it overstimulates the uterus and contractions come too fast. I had the pessary and a baby about 16 hours later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now