Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Over weight and pregnant..

(7 Posts)
Mummyandwife85 Wed 14-Sep-16 10:05:57

Just wanted to ask if anyone has had to have any extra checks or anything thru there pregnancy due to there starting weight?? This is my 5th pregnancy but 4th baby and the heaviest I have ever been, I'm worried cos me and hubby are overweight AND both have parents with bad diabetes also very unsure what the NHS do now days in form of scans/ heartbeat thingy etc it's been over 5years since I was pregnant..

user1463652193 Wed 14-Sep-16 10:49:40

I had a bmi of 38 at booking and am having split care between midwives and consultant. This basically means I have had/am having extra scans at 28 weeks and 36 weeks to check the baby's growth and some of my appointments which would be with the midwife are with a consultant (but they ask the same questions and do the same checks!). I also had a diabetes test at 28 weeks due to high bmi and the fact that my granddad and aunt have diabetes, mine came back clear.
So far, being overweight has been no issue, scans/heartbeat checking have been fine, measurements are all normal, I've actually not put on any weight (lost a stone in the first trimester, put on 2 pounds in the second and put on 2 in the third so far - I'm 30 weeks) but I think this is due to eating better, so it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom. My consultant has said that if the growth scan at 36 weeks is ok I will be signed off from consultant care and back to midwife lead care.

Mummyandwife85 Wed 14-Sep-16 12:10:50

Ooh right OK I'm I think 13st and only 5"2 and my last baby was 9'5oz so I had a few extras tests with him but obviously I never been this big at the start so I'm wondering what will happen xx plus my hubby's mum died of diabetes n my dad has it pretty badly too xx

SockQueen Wed 14-Sep-16 13:03:19

Those numbers make your BMI 33. You will probably have to have a glucose tolerance test, usually at 28 weeks, or earlier if there are any other concerns. You may need to have growth scans, but it depends on local policy.

Your MiL's diabetes does not matter for this pregnancy - the risk is only related to people in your family, and I assume she's not a blood relative?! Your father being diabetic is relevant and another reason why you'd have a glucose tolerance test, but that's about it.

Mummyandwife85 Wed 14-Sep-16 13:15:42

No not related to MIL god bless her but my poor hubby is terrified of me getting diabetes obviously cos he lost his mum to it as a child bless him, I had to have extra scans n a glucose test with my last as he grow very fast etc so I'm cool with that just read so much on here about the midwives"leaving you too it" and not doing many scans or tests cos it's not ur first time ect

ThinkPinkStink Wed 14-Sep-16 13:51:04

I had a BMI of 34 when I because pregnant, I was 36 years old and my father died of complexities relating to diabetes... so when I got pregnant I was a bit worried. Despite this my pregnancy was defined as 'Low Risk' and has been largely trouble free (aside from a boring and ongoing UTI).

I'm in London (Wandsworth) and I have had midwife/GP shared care - though I think that's down to the Trust, rather than anything specific to my pregnancy.

I have had a few additional tests as Sock says, I had a Glucose Tolerance Test (all fine), and been warned about the risk of shoulder dystocia.

Mummyandwife85 Wed 14-Sep-16 14:57:09

I'm in Derbyshire and the midwives was like u done this before you will be fine ( with my last) but that was over 5 years ago so I don't know what to expect this time around x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now