Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Booking appointment

(26 Posts)
lalaland1985 Tue 13-Sep-16 21:11:07

I received my booking in appointment today. Does my partner come to this too or does he only go to the scans?

NameChange30 Tue 13-Sep-16 21:17:45

You can invite him if you want but it's a very boring and uneventful appointment. They ask you a lot of questions and fill in a lot of forms. They also measure your height and weight and take your blood pressure. And they take a urine sample as well as lots of blood samples (or they send you to the practice nurse to do it hmm)

I had my 16 week appointment today and DH came because we were hoping to hear the heartbeat... But the midwife said they don't monitor the heartbeat any more sad So it was completely pointless for him to come!

The scans are the only exciting bit IMO.

MrsH87 Tue 13-Sep-16 21:22:13

No need for him to go. It's very boring. The midwife will ask about medical history on both sides though so it is worth making sure you are aware of anything (just parents I think) - heart, diabetes etc.

PotteringAlong Tue 13-Sep-16 21:24:16

He can but there's no need. lots of forms and nothing very exciting!

Heirhelp Tue 13-Sep-16 21:29:58

My DH came with me. The midwife appointments are your appointments so it is up to you if you want him there.

Legally his work have to give him unpaid time off for only two appointments.

Barefootcontessa84 Tue 13-Sep-16 22:21:18

No need for him to come to this one. Plus there is 10-15 mins the midwife will ask him to leave anyhow so they can check everything is OK at home etc. Best to save time off from work for the exciting bits like scans.

lalaland1985 Tue 13-Sep-16 22:38:31

Thank you smile

Evergreen17 Wed 14-Sep-16 09:02:28

Actually for my booking they said if you brought him that he would have to step outside for a bit
Because they ask you about your life at home, any dv or abuse so they want you on your own

ImYourMama Wed 14-Sep-16 09:07:23

I wish I'd taken my DH as I'm 23 and midwife said 'oh did he propose when he found out you were expecting' (no- you twat) and 'oh very old head on young shoulders' - horrible old patronising midwife, my DH would have shot her down immediately

HepKestrel Wed 14-Sep-16 09:09:43

You will need his medical history. Mine came.

Boomies Wed 14-Sep-16 09:30:03

Mine came, the appointment was at home and it's quite nice for them to feel part of things and have an idea of what will happen though the pregnancy. Also they did want his medical history etc which I knew but nice for them to be there to give it.

Chocoholicmonster Wed 14-Sep-16 12:47:15

Because they need medical history on both sides, mine came with me but its not the most exciting appointment.

NameChange30 I've heard my babies heartbeat at each of my midwife appointments from the 12 week mark onwards. I'm currently 33 weeks & still hear it at each appointment. Maybe its worth asking again?

NameChange30 Wed 14-Sep-16 13:43:11

Chocoholic (me too!)
It was a very categorical no. The midwife said the recommendations have only recently changed. I have local friends who have had babies in the last year or two and they got to hear the heartbeat - one of them is even registered at the same GP surgery and saw the same midwife team. So I was expecting the same and was very disappointed to be told it has changed. I will ask at my next appointment but it's not until 25 weeks so it will be less important by then, hopefully I will be able to feel the baby moving anyway.

NameChange30 Wed 14-Sep-16 13:48:39

Tbh it just makes me feel even more disappointed to hear that everyone else has been able to listen to their baby's heartbeat. DH was annoyed yesterday and I couldn't be bothered to get stressed about it but the more I think about it the more upset I feel sad

Chocoholicmonster Wed 14-Sep-16 14:08:33

(trying not to derail the OP - sorry!) Name, I'm sorry if what I said have made you upset sad. I just presumed it happened as part of routine hence why I said to ask her again next time. Sending you hugs. Won't be long until you get to hold your little bundle - time soon flies x

PotteringAlong Wed 14-Sep-16 14:16:29

The heartbeat thing must be local - I'm 21 weeks and heard the heartbeat at my 16 week appointment.

NameChange30 Wed 14-Sep-16 17:35:35

Chocoholic No need to apologise at all, I've been feeling very upset and emotional today so it wasn't you! Thanks for your kind words (they've made me emotional again grin)

Pottering Yes I think it very much depends where you are and which midwife (or midwife team) you see, which I find annoying because it seems unfair!

OP, sorry for derailing your thread slightly!

AudreyBradshaw Wed 14-Sep-16 17:36:39

Heartbeat depends on where about you are. First community midwife appt where they listened was using a pinard at 25 weeks. Then at 28 week blood appointment I heard it on a doppler. I had a private 3d scan at 26 weeks so I'd heard it then, but without that, first time would have been 28 weeks.

My dh always comes with (because I don't drive and I'm definitely not walking there/back). It's never been a necessity that he was there though.

fruityb Wed 14-Sep-16 17:44:35

Heard my baby's heartbeat for the first time the day I went into labour when they monitored it! They don't do it as they don't learn a lot from it apparently.

My OH came to pretty much every midwife appointment apart from booking in as he didn't need to. He wanted to come to the rest though and I liked having him there. Booking in is a lot of forms and bloods and such. More about your health.

NameChange30 Wed 14-Sep-16 18:06:14

fruity
I disagree; a well trained, experienced midwife can learn something from listening to the heartbeat - if it's slow or irregular they can refer for further monitoring and testing.
I also think there is a clear emotional benefit for the mother, and father if he is present, in that (I imagine) hearing your baby's heartbeat is a positive experience that makes you feel connected to the baby. I think it could be especially beneficial for fathers as they don't get to experience the physical side of pregnancy and feel the baby moving as mothers do.

fruityb Wed 14-Sep-16 19:50:31

I'm not saying they can't namechange just that's what I heard. They never offered for me to listen until they were checking on DS progress while I was in labour.

I do like to think my midwife is well trained and experienced however!

lalaland1985 Wed 14-Sep-16 20:06:16

I think I'll just go myself. No point in us both going along if not needed!

TurquoiseDress Thu 15-Sep-16 00:05:34

Booking in appointment is quite boring really, lots of questions & forms to fill in.

Really no point in other half being there, unless they absolutely want to be and they can easily take the time off work.

I felt cheated after mine & it all felt really pointless as I had dating scan a few days later and discovered it was a missed miscarriage at 13 weeks sad

Still had the bruises on my arms from the booking blood taking!

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 15-Sep-16 00:10:45

namechange they will prob do it at your 25 weeks, in my area they stopped doing it at the 16 week because it can be very difficult to hear and many parents were becoming upset and requiring extra scans because they thought there was something wrong when the heartbeat couldn't be found.

When a clinical decision on what to offer in an area has been made they can't make exceptions for one or two patients. I think it's pretty sensible if they were having the issues they've said they were with finding the heartbeats, no need to cause extra worry!

NameChange30 Thu 15-Sep-16 07:22:12

No they've told me they don't do it at all. So they won't do it at 25 weeks.

I hate the way they patronise you and treat everyone the same, as if we are all incapable of rational thought and understanding the advice. I understand that you can't always find the heartbeat at 16 weeks, but that's not the reason the midwife gave. The reason she gave is that it doesn't change anything, the baby could still die (hmm) and it gives mothers a false sense of security and discourages them from reporting changes in fetal movement hmm Well that's bullshit, I am perfectly capable of following advice to report changes in fetal movement thank you very much.

I checked the Nice guidelines and they said routine checking isn't recommended but can be done on maternal request. But apparently me asking yesterday wasn't a maternal request hmm

The irony of course is that women can buy their own fetal dopplers and other devices to monitor the heartbeat themselves at home. I think that's a terrible idea, as it should only be done by a trained midwife, but if midwives refuse to do it then more women will be tempted to try themselves at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now