Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

32 weeks no movement since I woke at 8, finding it hard not to phone midwife for six hours

(75 Posts)
mustthinkofabetterusername Tue 13-Sep-16 10:27:31

Second pregnancy. Am just over 32 weeks. Baby usually very active when I'm awake. I normally lie a few minutes, and don't get up before feeling baby move. Woke at eight. But had to get up at 8.30 to get first child up. Still haven't felt any movement.
This isn't normal for my baby.
But all info I've found online says wait for six hours of no movement, before contacting community midwife.
Horrendous section first birth, really want relaxed hypnobirth this time round, so don't want to contact services unnecessarily (as I need a "clean sheet" ie no medical issues) to be allowed to try for natural birth this time.
Any advice? what would you in this situation? Does anyone have any experience similar to this?
MANY THANKS in advance.

DubiousCredentials Tue 13-Sep-16 10:28:20

Just phone the hospital.

strawberrypenguin Tue 13-Sep-16 10:29:22

Don't wait 6 hours, call your midwife NOW if you are concerned they really won't mind

ElspethFlashman Tue 13-Sep-16 10:29:56

Bollocks to 6 hrs. Ring. Go in and get yourself Hooked up to a trace.

Don't be afraid of being a time waster. I once had no movement and went in and to my embarrassment got movements in the waiting room. They still made me stay and get traced and I'm glad I did, for the reassurance.

FranHastings Tue 13-Sep-16 10:30:11

Phone them now! They won't mind.

LetMeHaveABloodyName Tue 13-Sep-16 10:30:24

Ring the pregnancy unit & go in for monitoring. Don't wait any longer! Honestly, it won't affect your birth plan unless there's a problem. It's always better to get checked out, I had an anterior placenta & went at least three times & the midwives were nothing but kind & supportive!

melonribena Tue 13-Sep-16 10:31:22

Please ring. I'm 37 weeks and would do.
Also, try a very cold drink

ElspethFlashman Tue 13-Sep-16 10:31:35

Oh and it wasn't an issue down the road, as there was no issue if you know what I mean. Notes said baby was perfect. It had obviously just been asleep or something.

Honeybee79 Tue 13-Sep-16 10:31:52

Call midwife/hospital now. Don't worry about having a "clean sheet". Going in so they can check you won't affect that, assuming all is ok when they check. Don't wait if you're worried.

WhatWouldCoachBombayDo Tue 13-Sep-16 10:32:21

I had a anterior placenta, so movement for me was very hard to detect, I always called when I was unsure, I'd lay down and attempt to encourage him to move with some ice water or orange juice if I couldn't feel him I'd call. They never had a problem and would monitor me to make sure. I'd ring for advice if I were you.

Kittymum03 Tue 13-Sep-16 10:32:28

I don't know and I'm by no means an expurt, but I THINK I've read recently (while panicking about movement) that you should lay on your side with a cold drink and check for 2 hour's, not 6.
If it was me and it was possible,I would try that,and probably after an hour (as it's already been a while) I'd give hospital a call.

smellsofelderberries Tue 13-Sep-16 10:32:33

I would go straight up to the day unit. I have been up twice in the past 2 weeks at 29+5 and 30+4, for reduced movement. Both times were fine, but being out on a trace and seeing that she was a happy little bunny was so reassuring. Please just go in.

Pinkheart5915 Tue 13-Sep-16 10:33:08

OP please just call or go in to the hospital.

You should Never wait 6 hours of no movement before getting checked out, that is rubbish advice you've been reading

Don't delay!

Narnian Tue 13-Sep-16 10:33:39

Phone labour ward/delivery suite now. I'm a midwife.

HardWorkButTheyMakeMeSmile Tue 13-Sep-16 10:34:11

Ring them now and do not wait. Be very insistent that this is an unusual change to your babies pattern of movements.

It is ALWAYS better to be checked and sent home as all is well, than to have not gone along to be checked when it was really needed.

FannyFifer Tue 13-Sep-16 10:34:46

Agree with everyone else, go get checked.

Sparklesilverglitter Tue 13-Sep-16 10:34:51

Please please call the midwife or hospital right away op.

Waiting 6 hours is Absoulte rubbish, take no notice of that!

Narnian Tue 13-Sep-16 10:35:16

Sorry if that sounded alarmist, I didn't mean it too! If you're concerned, don't wait, contact the hospital.
Best wishes smile

DixieNormas Tue 13-Sep-16 10:37:15

Phone the labour suite, I wouldn't wait

panad317 Tue 13-Sep-16 10:39:31

Ring the labour ward, they'll ask you to come in to monitor the baby for about 20minutes. While you're waiting, have a sugary, cold drink. My midwife told me to make sure I always had a bottle of coke in the fridge. And lie on your left side. Don't worry about having a clean sheet, this is important. You know your baby.

Tollygunge Tue 13-Sep-16 10:42:14

Go straight in, I had this and didn't even bother ringing. I was told 99 out of 100 times everything fine but nobody would ever mind you going in to be checked- that's their job

LivinOnAChair Tue 13-Sep-16 10:43:32

Phone now!! Or better still go to your local maternity or pregnancy assessment ward! I went twice at the end of my pregnancy, at 37 and 39 weeks, with reduced movement everything turned out to be fine after I was monitored (so reassuring) and the general consensus of the midwives was of you are in doubt better seek help sooner rather than later. Have you been on the count the kicks website/Facebook page, lots of great advice on there too!

AngelBlue12 Tue 13-Sep-16 10:43:55

Never heard of six hours and we are having baby 6. Always call if you are worried - even just a little. The midwives would way rather have you go in for nothing than you wait too long when something is wrong.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 13-Sep-16 10:45:57

Drink a very cold glass of water.

I've heard about doing a kick count for reduced moment but not waiting doing nothing for 6 hours.

LivinOnAChair Tue 13-Sep-16 10:49:45

http://www.countthekicks.org/how-to-count-the-kicks/ they tell you to count until you reach ten, shouldn't take more than two hours. Please don't wait six, the midwives won't mind!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now