Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby's Position?

(6 Posts)
BelliniButterfly Mon 12-Sep-16 13:52:52

Any tips for working out baby's position? I'm 32+1 and at my 28 week midwife appointment baby was head down. I then had a period of reduced movement and when I was being checked at hospital midwife said baby was back to back. Over the last few days my bump has changed and I'm getting kicks/movements quite high up on my waist at the right hand side! There also seems to be a hard lump just at my ribs again right hand side. Below my belly button everything is quite flat and empty. Driving myself crazy trying to work out possible position! Thanks

Christmasbaby16 Mon 12-Sep-16 15:40:10

Could you not ring your midwife and ask to see her to put your mind at rest - she honestly wouldn't mind, better than you worrying and becoming anxious.

Kariana Mon 12-Sep-16 19:04:25

I think 32 weeks is quite early for them to be in a permanent head down position, my midwife said at my 33 week appointment that she wasn't worried about position at that stage (actually had the same things you describe, turned out baby was lying with his head just below my ribs and legs over his head, hence the hard lump and kicks on the same side). He was still like that at a scan I had at 34 weeks and again they said no problem. Now I'm 35 weeks and pretty sure he's shifted, though not sure he's in quite the right place yet! Good to know he's still small enough to turn in there though so hopefully he'll get into position in the next couple of weeks.

MidMay Mon 12-Sep-16 19:18:24

As PP says at 32 weeks I wouldn't be overly concerned about baby's position. Head down from 36 weeks is optimal. To help prevent a back to back baby, keep active and avoid slouching back on a sofa, for example when watching television.

reikizen Mon 12-Sep-16 19:29:36

Why do you need to know? Is it just for your interest/curiosity? Because it is of absolutely no significance clinically until 36 weeks when the midwife should refer you for a presentation scan if any concerns about baby being breech. Only a scan can confirm position, palpating by a midwife or doctor will be an educated guess. Back to back is irrelevant at 32 weeks as baby will swing between anterior and posterior on a regular basis. Hope it is not causing you any worry as it is not anything to worry about!

BelliniButterfly Mon 12-Sep-16 21:02:37

Thanks everyone

Reassuring to know that position isn't really an issue at this stage. I guess because it's my first pregnancy and I just feel really anxious about everything going wrong! Will see how I go at my next midwife appointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now