Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Polyhydramnios - positive stories please.

(15 Posts)
melon81 Thu 08-Sep-16 17:14:06

I am almost 39 weeks pregnant with my first baby. Pregnancy so far has been mostly uneventful. Very active baby, normal growth, normal fundal height, normal amniotic fluid.

At my 38 week appointment, earlier this week. My FH had gone from 36cm to 41cm in 12 days. The midwife also noticed the baby felt much bigger and there seemed to be a lot of fluid.

I went for an ultrasound scan yesterday - baby is on the 95th-97th centile, blood flow and placenta look fine, however there is SO much fluid. I believe the average AFI for 38-39 weeks is between 5 and 15cm. Mine was around 44cm with a deepest pool of 15cm. I had a private scan at 30 weeks and AFI was normal.

I have stupidly Googled and am now terrified something is wrong with my baby. I am booked in for a c-section in a few days.

Has anyone else been in this position? If so, please tell me I have nothing to worry about.

hippydippybaloney Thu 08-Sep-16 17:18:51

I had very severe polyhydramnios in my last pregnancy. I was measuring 10 weeks ahead.

He was fine, a big beastie, but one hundred percent healthy. It's usually the case. More often than not there's no reason for it.

They can usually pick up on any underlying causes by watching to see if they're swallowing etc properly.

I know it's hard but please try not to worry flowers

melon81 Thu 08-Sep-16 17:26:29

Thanks hippy, that does really help 

It's just such a shock as I have always measured spot on for my dates and AFI has been normal up until now. My baby boy is currently estimated to be 8lb 7oz so not enormous, but I figure it's better to be big than small anyway.

DH's mum was born with pyloric stenosis as were a few other members of the family so I'm now wondering if he could have that. It's better than some of the other things I have been reading about!

PopGoesTheWeeble Thu 08-Sep-16 17:30:25

I did and baby was absolutely fine!!! He weighed 7lb 12 so pretty average, and no reason for the polyhydramnios was found and it didn't cause any problems at all. Please don't panic!

hippydippybaloney Thu 08-Sep-16 17:31:21

Yeah I was measuring fine right up until a private scan at 26 weeks I think it was.

He was over 9lb three weeks early confused but perfectly healthy.

He was also investigated for pyloric stenosis (not because of this, but because of other stuff and it was weeks after birth before the symptoms) and he was fine - but I was told at the time that even if it was PS it's v easily treated.

melon81 Thu 08-Sep-16 18:59:28

Thanks pop. Great to hear another positive story!

If anyone else has any please feel free to share.

I think I would be less worried (possibly confused) if my AFI was lower but 44cm seems crazy. Can I ask how high both of your AFIs were?

dodi1978 Thu 08-Sep-16 21:26:25

Hi,

I just posted about this myself - measured 39 at 36 weeks today. Consultant not overly worried, but they'll try a a sweep at 40 weeks. Guess they don't want me to go over. My AFI is 25.3cm, deepest pool 7.1cm.

No wondering whether this was the reason I went into labour with my first at 36 weeks.

outputgap Thu 08-Sep-16 21:30:21

Hi. I had this with first pregnancy. Only picked up because I had monthly scans, so earlier than you. I think they sent me for extra blood tests and a diabetes test. No one was bothered and it was fine. Google is not your friend.

Toocold Thu 08-Sep-16 21:30:22

Eleven years ago I had polyhydramnios and had eight litres of fluid removed before my dd was born ( she had something wrong with her, surgery sorted it and if your baby had this they'd have definitely picked it up) she is now 11 and nothing wrong with her, except preteen attitude!

Toocold Thu 08-Sep-16 21:31:07

And no that wasn't a typo! Please step away from Google.

gamerchick Thu 08-Sep-16 21:35:02

I did, had the extra scans, 49 inch waist, irritable uterus etc. Induced and aside from the waters waterfalling off the bed he was fine. 7lb summick. He does only have 2 lines on each hand but physically he's perfect.

Man I was sick as at the end. Induced bang on due date because I couldnt take anymore. Try not to worry OP, hard I know flowers

melon81 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:09:18

Thanks everyone. I do find it really reassuring to hear everyone's positive stories. I know Google isn't my friend but it's so hard not to look!

Just anxiously awaiting Monday now to make sure the little fella's healthy.

cityrat79 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:16:52

Another here!

Another big baby (who did get stuck and needed an emergency C) but otherwise totally healthy. It was only picked up because I had an extra scan because of a previous low-lying placenta.

My great aunt was a nurse back on n the day and says that in the 50s the mantra was "the more fluid the better" as it meant the baby was well protected.

Many, many women have undiagnosed excess fluid and it causes no problems at all. Good luck!

MylaMimi Thu 08-Sep-16 22:22:06

Hi, I had this. Bump got steadily larger than average in the final trimester. Sent for scan at 37 weeks as bump was measuring "off the scale" i.e. beyond 43cm (probably more like 45). Polyhydramious was diagnosed. I went into labour naturally but baby did not engage properly as too much fluid. Waters broke during labour and I do not exaggerate that there was buckets of the stuff, even the consultant was shocked.

Upshot was that DD was born perfectly fine and dandy, weighing 7lb 12oz and was fighting fit from the moment she was lifted out (had emergency CS due as labour stalled). Now a cheeky 8yo smile and bright, if I do say so myself smile

I worried myself silly about polyhydramious but in most cases there is no reason for it, and any condition that has it attached is usually spotted well before the last stages of pregnancy. When they did the scan to see why bump was so big they took circumference of head, tummy etc. all of which were normal (I think they can tell a lot from that scan). My deepest pool was nearly 13cm from memory.

Easier said than done but try not to worry! If they think it's all fine, chances are it's all fine. (very good chances).

KatamariDamacy Fri 09-Sep-16 10:10:33

Another positive story of polyhydramnios here - my highest AFI was 29cm, deepest pool about 12 I think. I was induced at 39 weeks due to unstable lie and risk of prolapsed cord, but that was largely my choice and I think they'd have been happy with me going into labour naturally. All absolutely fine. I did flood the room when my waters went though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now