Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

seeing consultant during pregnancy

(4 Posts)
Imstickingwiththisone Wed 07-Sep-16 00:09:57

I had a PPH with DC1 which has led to my care being consultant led second time around. Ive seen a consultant twice now and I feel like I am wasting their time. I'm in and out very quickly and literally all that has been done is a box has been ticked in my notes to say that I require active management of third stage of labour.

I just don't know if this is par for the course or whether consultant is supposed to look into it in more detail.

I was induced first time round which took a long time and resulted in forceps with episiotomy and then a really big PPH. DC1 was on the much bigger than expected and large for my frame. My DP would prefer a CS this time around as he thought things got out of control and I could've died.

I was really scared I had a prolapse afterwards and still worry about it now so the thought of going through the same scenario again is frightening. Im happy to go with what consultant suggests but feel like no one's really arsed??? I don't want to push for it as im not certain I want CS. I just want someone to kind of review what happened and say 'oh we need to ensure this doesnt happen again and go for CS', or say 'there is a possibility it would happen again but risks associated with CS are higher'

Or just some sort of acknowledgement so I don't feel I'm edging closer to an out of control situation again.

Dixiechick17 Wed 07-Sep-16 12:56:03

I would write down a list of questions for your next appointment and say at the beginning that you have stuff you want to go through, that's what I used to do, otherwise I'd go through a process and the next thing I'd be off home. You can speak with your midwife too and request a debrief for your previous birth, this is done to break down the how's and why's of the previous labour and give you more information for the next birth.

HopeAndJoy16 Wed 07-Sep-16 16:53:42

Like Dixiechick17 said, you can contact the Supervisor of Midwives at the hospital about a debrief, and someone will be able to go through what happened and why. But definitely let the consultants know you're keen to have a plan for birth. Mention that your partner wants a CS but you're not sure, and don't be scared to keep asking questions until you feel satisfied smile xxx

Imstickingwiththisone Wed 07-Sep-16 22:27:31

Thank you. Ive requested a debrief with my midwife and she is looking to slot me in some time soon for it. I guess I was just hoping for the consultant to have reviewed my options and give advice without my biased prompting. I didn't want to mention CS and they assume that is what I want so its a good idea to mention DP wants me to have one so they know I am happy with whatever they feel is best for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now