Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Induction tomorrow with propess (i am shitting it!!) - any success/failure stories with propess inductions?

(16 Posts)
1sttimerdue260816 Tue 06-Sep-16 16:47:19

I'm being induced tomorrow (will be 41+5). I am really nervous about it. i don't do well with blood tests/drips so i REALLY want the propess to work.

Has anyone else had propess? Did the first one or the second one work or did you need to then go to the drip or c section? How long did it take etc?

I had a midwife appointment last wednesday and she tried to do a sweep but said my cervix was soft but totally closed so she couldn't do a sweep....not sure if that makes any difference to the success of the propess.

Thanks everyone smile

Iwantagoonthetrampoline Tue 06-Sep-16 17:42:44

Try not to worry. Not all inductions are long hard slogs. Mine was about 15 hours from having the pessary (just needed the one) to birth and didn't even need the drip.

AveEldon Tue 06-Sep-16 17:55:14

I didn't have a sweep
Had one propess which caused mild contractions but cervix wasn't dilated much at all
During the 12 hr rest between propess 1 & propess 2 my waters broke and labour started. Didn't need the second propess or the drip

Spotsandstars Tue 06-Sep-16 18:29:39

I had the prostaglandin pessary, my labour was two hours so ridiculously quick! Managed with gas and air but back to back contractions so no breathing in between contractions, just constant pain. They did try to get a epidural in (so be open to that) but ds started coming out so was too late! At least it will be over soon, just focus on that!

Laptopontable Tue 06-Sep-16 18:36:48

Everyone will be completely different.
I had the propess 2 weeks ago and it did absolutely nothing.. i felt it was a complete waste of time and wished they'd used the prostin straight away instead (which worked eventually)
Obviously you might be different but be prepared for a long slog to get into labour.. I started the process on a Friday morning and didn't have my daughter until the Monday. The propess for me added on an unnecessary 24 hours extra.

sycamore54321 Tue 06-Sep-16 20:42:26

I was induced at 40+5 for my first delivery. First gel early in the morning, nothing happened, second gel early evening, still nothing. They said they would leave me overnight and try another plus drop in the morning. Then at the stroke of midnight my waters went with a pop and contractions began almost right way. My baby was born before 5 am the next morning. No need for drip.

However, I understand the norm is usually gel followed by drip, so don't get too fixed in your hopes that the gel will be enough. Best of luck.

sycamore54321 Tue 06-Sep-16 23:27:47

About likelihood of success, you can ask them to assess your Bishops score which is a predictor of how readily or otherwise your induction will take. If it is low, and given that you are so far past due date, I would start giving some soncideration to requesting an elective section instead. 41+5 doesn't leave a lot of time for an induction in unfavourable conditions and risks increase rapidly once you hit 42 weeks. I don't mean to worry you in any way but just to be aware of these possibilities.

sycamore54321 Tue 06-Sep-16 23:28:18

Sorry for the multiple typos.

frikadela01 Wed 07-Sep-16 05:45:46

I was induced at 39 weeks with prostaglandin gel (same active ingredient as process just slightly different delivery) when it was inserted at around d 14:00 the midwife said she suspected I'd need a second dose in 24 hours as my cervix was still very high up. I started getting mild period like pains which is apparently normal for the gel and not indicative of labour. I asked to be examined at midnight because the pains were getting worse and my cervix "wasn't even close to ready". I sent dp home at 02'00am since nothing seemed to be happening and then ring him back 30 minutes later with contractions 3 minutes apart. By 04:00 my contractions were back to back and I was begging for the epidural. By the time the anaesthetist came in and started talking me through the process my body was pushing so I couldn't have one. Baby born at 05:38.

Not the most pleasant experience but certainly not the horror story of several days of the gel/pessary then the drip that you often hear.

Lelizabeth1 Wed 07-Sep-16 06:16:58

Thanks for your stories and advice. I just have to wait for my phone call from the hospital to tell me what time to go in now!

Lelizabeth1 Wed 07-Sep-16 06:19:31

(I have two different usernames, one on my phone and one on my laptop, because I couldn't remember my password...)

firsttimekat Wed 07-Sep-16 06:30:42

Good luck today.

I hope it goes smoothly for you. My induction took over 5 days partly because the delivery ward was so full and I wasn't a priority. I really wish I'd pushed harder to get to the delivery ward sooner (needed the drip) or asked for a section when it looked like things weren't working. My advice would be to be open minded but not afraid to push for what you want.

MyBreadIsEggy Wed 07-Sep-16 06:46:32

I reckon mine was possibly the fastest induction in history!!
I had the propess at about 8am ish, was contracting by 8:30. Moved to delivery suite at 9 where thing slowed a little, so the syntocinon drip was started. Things cranked up hugely! I was 2cm dilated at 10am, and was convinced I would be there for hours and hours....and about 11:30, I had the most unmistakeable urge to push. I had fully dilated from 2-10cm in the space of 1.5hrs shock Dd was born at exactly 12:00.
Just had and air, 5 stitches for a very small internal tear smile

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Wed 07-Sep-16 06:50:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

windowsneedaclean Wed 07-Sep-16 07:05:01

At 42 weeks I had the pessary at 6pm on the Saturday but nothing happened at all. Went back at. 6 pm on the Sunday and had the gel. Started contracting properly around 11pm. Had waters broken around 1am and told only 4cm but then it all kicked off and DS was born at 1.30am. I didn't do any reading about being induced beforehand and I must confess I'm a little confused as to why people seem to dread the thought (obviously, we'd all prefer for it to happen naturally but besides that). Is it supposed to cause problems or be more painful than a normal labour? Hope all goes well OP

Shop Wed 07-Sep-16 07:08:22

First induction propess at 12.30 lunchtime, delivered at 4.54pm the same day. I was 41+5
Second induction, 41+4 propess at 3pm ish which gave mild contraction overnight. They broke my waters the following day and delivered 45 minutes later.

I wouldn't hesitate to have another induction with propess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now