Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

13 weeks - first midwife appointment

(7 Posts)
Jennj14 Mon 05-Sep-16 12:33:10

Hi

This is my first pregnancy and im (apparently) 13 weeks today according to the ovia pregnancy app. I first found out 3 weeks ago, had a doctors appointment the following day but ive had to wait up until tomorrow for my 'booking' appointment.

Im concerned that i may have missed a crucial time period for my first scan... even more so if my gp surgery cannot perform a scan tomorrow and i will have to wait even longer for an appointment at the hospital.

What should I do? Im worried the surgery/midwife will fob me off, tell me there is nothing to worry about and wont bother to rush through an appointment for my scan. What if there is something wrong and leaving it so late has made it worse? The fella will be angry if we dont get a scan tomorrow at this first midwife appointment tomorrow!

gininteacupsandleavesonthelawn Mon 05-Sep-16 12:38:29

To have the NT test you need to have a scan between 12-14 weeks I believe. It would be very unusual to be scanned by midwife at GP surgery, I've never heard of that happening and certainly my scans have always been at the hospital. I expect they will try to rush one through for you but given how late you found out you may already be out of date range for this test. Both my booking apt and scan were organised when I was 6weeks ish. They will get you a dating scan asap I would imagine but further tests may need to wait until 20wks. You could always book privately to hurry along if concerned. Hope all goes well!

T0ddlerSlave Mon 05-Sep-16 12:39:37

You need to go to hospital for a scan, they can give you a physical exam and potentially listen for a heartbeat but your 12 week scan takes place at the hospital. I'd ring your midwife to express your concerns.

mouldycheesefan Mon 05-Sep-16 12:40:33

You do not get scanned at your midwife appointment. They make you a hospital,appointment for that. If the "fella" has anger issues you need to deal with that before baby is born.

Dixiechick17 Mon 05-Sep-16 13:05:14

It will depend on where you live. Where my friend lives they do actually do the scans at her doctors surgery, she's in Birmingham. In my case though my mudwife contacted my local hospital and booked me in for my scan. She should do an urgent referral if you're 13 weeks, maybe call and ask to speak with her ahead of your appointment.

Jennj14 Mon 05-Sep-16 13:15:06

Yeah im in the bham area. A friend of mine said his wife had her scan at her surgery, its just depending if they have the equipment to do it.

Wasnt expecting such a rude response 'mouldycheesefan'. My 'fella' (sorry, should i be saying husband? Or my betrothed?) doesnt have anger issues, i wouldnt be so stupid as to bear his child if he did.

Thank you to everyone elses genuine responses!

gininteacupsandleavesonthelawn Mon 05-Sep-16 14:00:55

I'd imagine if the we're going to scan you you'd have had the instructions we full bladder etc for appointment. How come you found out so late? I'm very jealous you've skipped 6 weeks of first tri worry ( I'm 14wks now)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now