Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy rhinitis

(16 Posts)
88betty Fri 02-Sep-16 20:09:45

Anyone else experience this? It's driving me mad constantly sneezing and blowing my nose. Any tips to ease it??

WellErrr Fri 02-Sep-16 20:16:46

It'll go when you have the baby.

Last time round though, mine went around 30 weeks so you may be lucky.

Commiserations. It's proper shit.

88betty Fri 02-Sep-16 20:21:22

Thankyou I'm only 12 weeks so got a while to go yet, yikes!

divadee Fri 02-Sep-16 21:15:24

I am suffering and found sterimar a god send. The pharmacist recommended it for blocked noses etc.... All natural and perfectly safe.

88betty Fri 02-Sep-16 21:31:57

Thanks I'll give that a trysmile

Brown76 Fri 02-Sep-16 21:43:39

Yes!! Beconase spray, paracetamol, ice packs (am getting headaches), nose rinse morning and night and Vick. Seem to have it under control now.

WellErrr Fri 02-Sep-16 21:50:36

Check before taking ANY medication - I don't think you can take Beconase.

Helbelle75 Sat 03-Sep-16 04:46:02

I appear to have started with this. Very annoying!

Mouthfulofquiz Sat 03-Sep-16 05:00:27

I was told that you can use nasal sprays like beconase as the effect is extremely local.

88betty Sat 03-Sep-16 07:55:22

I started at around 8 weeks, and is getting worse now I'm 12 weeks. Thanks for all the advice.

KateTheShrew Sat 03-Sep-16 12:21:50

I have this, although mine is congestion and post nasal drip (yuk!) rather than runny nose. I second sterimar - it can be really helpful - but my GP also prescribed a steroid nasal spray called Budesonide. Apparently its use in pregnancy has been studied more than other similar medications, and she had no reservations about prescribing it. I took it in my last pregnancy too, with no problems, if that reassures you.

The GP also told me that with a nasal spray, the effects are very localised so relatively little of it enters your bloodstream, and she also reminded me that women who regularly take steroid inhalers to control asthma (and there are loads of them) are not told to stop taking these during pregnancy, obviously, and that the exposure from a steroid nasal spray is even less than with an inhaler. This put it in perspective for me and reassured me a lot.

So if this becomes really unbearable for you (and I know that it can!) there prescription meds that you can try. But I also found the saline spray and breathe right strips were quite good, so give those a whirl first. I hope it clears up for you soon!

Scotmum83 Sat 03-Sep-16 15:34:46

With my first pregnancy I had runny noses and frequent nose bleeds that I eventually realised were set off by milk. I already had an intolerance but pregnancy made it much worse. Does it get worse once you have eaten anything specific? Worth looking into, once I realised I completely stopped dairy as it really wasn't worth it.

CarmenVeranda Sat 03-Sep-16 15:41:27

I had this for my entire pregnancy with DC1 then up to about 28 weeks with DC2. Fucking nightmare. I'd have to blow my nose constantly during meals (and apologise constantly for being so rude) otherwise the congestion in my throat would make me gag and puke. Ironically I didn't have any morning sickness and yet threw up loads because of rhinitis. No advice just sympathy OP.

88betty Sat 03-Sep-16 18:19:52

Thanks again all, and no it doesn't get worse after certain foods or anything. Just randomly have sneezing fits and a streaming nose (which is starting to get sore)
Will give the midwife or doc a ring on Monday and see what they suggest. Seems there are lots of things out there and thanks for all the suggestions.

KateTheShrew Sun 04-Sep-16 14:51:18

Just to add another suggestion -- I got desperate the other day and bought a Neilmed sinus rinse (it's a squeezy bottle, you fill it with cooled boiled water and a little sachet of salt/bicarb). Anyway, you lean over the sink and squeeze the solution up one nostril until it drains out of the other one shock.

I'd heard lots of good things about them, but was really put off by the thought of it, and assumed it would make me cough, choke and generally feel like I was drowning, BUT... it didn't!! AND it has really cleared my nose and sinuses out. It's a bit of a faff making sure it's clean and sterile, but I'd seriously recommend it if you can't get relief from anything else. After using it last night, I woke up about 60-70% less bunged up this morning!

Cakescakescakes Sun 04-Sep-16 14:56:28

You can use Beconase. I had it prescribed in my last pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now