Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Snackage!

(14 Posts)
Dlah Fri 02-Sep-16 18:48:48

Pregnant with first, packing hospital bag shortly and whilst this may sound daft . . What snacks would you pack or for any seasoned birthers out there - what mistakes have you made/would you stay away from?!

Don't like nuts, seeds FYI!

LillianFullStop Fri 02-Sep-16 18:52:26

I'm not a seasoned birther but so far I've packed chocolates, lemon shortbread and chewy caramels. I need to get some savoury things in the mix but haven't decided which ones yet. I would love some chilled watermelon but I may have to send DH for those so it's fresh.

Womenareliketeabags Fri 02-Sep-16 18:59:04

I packed a tonne of snacks for labour with DS. None were eaten during labour if you discount the half a cereal bar which quickly made a reappearance. However the full packet of foxes half coated chocolate chip cookies that were shoved in a couple of hours after birth were much needed. (And cookies have never tasted so fucking awesome). Definitely make sure you have something sugary and calorific for afterwards you'll need it.

Also some isotonic sports drinks go down well during labour if you can manage to sip on them it's better than nothing if your like me and you can't face food during.

KP86 Fri 02-Sep-16 19:03:19

Granola bars, little tubs of fruit and plastic spoons, cheese/cream crackers, large bottle of prune juice for after

Stuff that's small, high energy density and easy to eat one handed (granted the fruit doesn't fit that), doesn't need to be kept cold etc.

EreniTheFrog Fri 02-Sep-16 19:04:47

With both DD and DS, I couldn't face eating anything at all either during labour or for hours afterwards - the MW had to work hard to persuade me into a slice of toast. That said, I had relatively short labours - I might have felt differently if things had taken longer. I'd suggest you just pack whatever you normally like to nibble on.

oldlaundbooth Fri 02-Sep-16 19:05:38

Proper food. Chocolate bars, dried fruit, biscuits, chewing gum, sweets.

If you've time, cheese sandwiches/yogurts/ bananas.

Yes to isotonic drinks. Take a water bottle too.

LikeaSnowflake Fri 02-Sep-16 19:07:13

I ate nothing in labour despite having packed snacks but that may be because I arrived at 5:30pm and baby born by 8:10pm. They brought me two ham sandwiches after! You might want snacks for after if your hospital don't provide something you like grin

oddsockfairy Fri 02-Sep-16 19:12:10

Individual jelly pots! Needed the energy but didn't want to chew/swallow anything I had to think about. Lifesavers.

UnicornPee Fri 02-Sep-16 19:23:08

Both births took nothing and food was the last thing on my mind.
Probably won't take food for this one either.
If I find myself to be starving the OH will be sent to the shop inside the hostpital smile

sophiaslullaby Fri 02-Sep-16 19:58:32

I took a couple of cereal bars and isotonic drink. Forced myself to eat one of the bars for the energy as i was labouring but afterwards the hospital gave me a sandwich (thought most hospitals give you some toast in the least to level blood sugar levels, afterall most women won't have eaten for hours). The I stayed in so got the hospital food (pretty damn good!) - if you go home you'll have food there so I really wouldn't stress about packing much food. If you're that hungry there's always the hospital cafe.

Pinklily1 Fri 02-Sep-16 20:18:02

I've packed some flapjacks, porridge pots, sports drinks and some jelly sweets. I'll grab some fruit as we leave the house. This is my first baby, so I've no idea if i'll eat any of it or not, but i'd rather take too much than feel hungry.

Inthehighcastle Sat 03-Sep-16 08:15:12

Last time the relief from heartburn and general appetite loss meant the hospital food after DS was born was the best ever!! So didn't really eat any of my food. This time I have just packed some jelly babies and a box of ritz crackers and some lucozade.
They bring you tea and toast straight after the birth which was bloody lovely, I hadn't (and haven't this time either) properly enjoyed a meal for months and didn't feel like eating at all during the labour.
Sent DH down to costa for a cooler fruit thing once I was on post natal ward which was lush as it was boiling hot in the hospital. If there's shops at your hospital you'll be able to send someone down for whatever you fancy smile

Slothlikesundays Sat 03-Sep-16 08:17:00

Flapjacks, apples and blueberries (for after!)

raviolidreaming Sun 04-Sep-16 11:10:00

Fab idea for a thread - ta!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now