Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

UTI

(7 Posts)
MusicMum18 Fri 02-Sep-16 17:14:12

Hi
I am 8 weeks preg, and had my first midwife app last week. The urine test came back that I have a UTI and I've been prescribed antibiotics for a week. I've never had a UTI before, and Ive had no symptoms so this has come as a shock really, esp as my doc didn't really explain what it was, caused by, level of seriousness etc.

Should I be worried?

mrsknickers Fri 02-Sep-16 18:26:33

I will be interested in replies to this because I've had exactly the same this week. No symptoms, no history of UTI and just a message from the dr secretary that I need antibiotics. I don't know if I need to do another test after the course of antibiotics do you?

MusicMum18 Fri 02-Sep-16 18:59:25

Hi Mrsknickers. yes the doctor told me to contact midwife to have another urine test after I finish the course of antibiotics to check its cleared.

I've since found out some info online...it's really common in preg as progesterone is a relaxant so therefore more prone to UTIs. Tips for prevention include washing hands before and after using the toilet (I usually do after only!), also drinking lots of water, going for a wee as soon as you need it, ie don't hold it and wait! Cranberry juice was also listed as a way to help prevent, not sure why!

I hope more people reply as I just want to know the level of seriousness/risks etc. As I'm worried!!

Borisisback Fri 02-Sep-16 19:07:58

I've had similar recently. Midwife said no risk to baby, just might make me feel ill. Try not to worry.

sophiaslullaby Fri 02-Sep-16 20:05:43

I had exactly the same at roughly 8weeks. And felt concerned that I was taking antibiotics while pregnant - want to say a huge - do NOT worry! It's really common to get a UTI. But you do need to get it cleared up so take the antibiotics as prescribed. All will be fine.
Drink lots of water - that was my biggest advise given, I wasn't drinking much water because was peeing for England anyway (change in hormones makes you pee more in 1st trimester...) and didn't like to keep going to the loos from my desk. Result - UTI!
Try and cut out caffeine too - i found tea made me worse.
It'll be better soon flowers

emonslemons Sat 03-Sep-16 08:38:41

I had a uti at 8 weeks also strangely enough. But the only difference is that mine was heralded in by a bleed. It was caused my the uti.

As you guys probably know uti can cause miscarriage and premature labour so it is quite serious for a pregnant woman.

I ended bleeding and cramping severely to the point of feeling like full bloen labour.

But thank god all seemed to be well when i went into the epu for a scan. Well in so far as the baby being alive. I had oir great big hematoma between the uterus and placenta.

Havent had any scans lately. Just waiting for 3 month scan now.

My thoughts are take easy and just rest if your tired etc. Until your sure that infection has gone.

In my case as soon as i started the second round of antibiotics, the bleeding and pain vanished in a single day.

I know im sounding negative, but its the reality of uti in pregnancy thats why drs take it so seriously.

Good luck and get well very soon x

emonslemons Sat 03-Sep-16 08:46:14

P.s from what ive gathered the uti doesnt harm the fetus in as much as it doesnt cause abnormalities etc but the irritatiin to the bladder can cause contractions and subsequently bleeds which can cause miscarriage.

Just to be clear.

Also if your treated in a timely manor you will likely avoid all complications.

I had all this occur due to being abroad and arriving in the uk over a weekend so had to wait for gp on monday.

The doctor abroad was next to useless. And so was the uk a and e dr. She refused to prescribe me british antibiotics. My previous batch was from the middle east which i hate to say did nothing to touch the infection.

I would now not hesitate to get antibiotics for such things. I.e infection picked up routinely during checks as its most likely being picked up at the very early stages and could potentially save heartache.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now