Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Placenta postions

(9 Posts)
Growingbeanno2 Thu 01-Sep-16 21:38:01

Hello all

I'm currently pg with dc2, 24wks and after several 20wk scans due to an awkwardly positions baby(defo a girl! Not confirmed) The consultant casually mentions my low lying placenta.

Had a consultant appointment today and they have not helped me anxiety(low term sufferer).

I was set on a repeat c section after my first birth so that aspect is fine but what they did tell me is whether it is really close to my cervix(or flapping out my bag as dh affectionately terms it) or over it or anything. They are rescanning at 32/34 wks and then I'll see the consultant again which is fine and I am therefore guessing they're not that worried.

My frustration and anxiety is more around not knowing if I need to do anything special to keep myself safe. I asked and he said nothing special but do I need to be careful with activities, avoid sex etc???

I had a friend who had complete previa with her first and ended up in hospital from wk 35 until a section at 38wks. How could this work with my ds1(2.5yrso) I am shitting myself.

Any advice or experiences would helpful.

Sorry for the rambling

booellesmum Thu 01-Sep-16 21:50:05

I had a low lying placenta with DD1.
It was diagnosed at the 20 week scan but I was told they don't plan anything until the later scan at 32 weeks as sometimes it will move out of the way. It just needs to be monitored. I was not told to do or avoid anything.
When I had the late scan and it was still low they put a plan in place for a caesarian at 38 weeks. They then told me to go in if I experienced any bleeding. I did have a small bleed at 35+4 so went straight in.
They told me I would have to stay in the hospital until my planned caesarian. Bigger bleed same night though and she was delivered that night. She was absolutely fine.
Remember this is very rare and it is far more likely your placenta will move out of the way, but if they recommend staying in the hospital please stay in. My DD would not be here if they had discharged me after the small bleed.
Thinking of you and hope it is good news on your next scan.

booellesmum Thu 01-Sep-16 21:56:43

Just to add when I was having DD2 and DD1 was almost 3 I had to stay in hospital for a week (different problem). It was hard being away from DD1 but she was allowed to visit loads and enjoyed the extra time with Daddy - mainly because they went to the chip shop a lot! My mother and mother in law helped out as well. If you have to stay in do you have relatives around to help out or could your DH take some compassionate leave?

Growingbeanno2 Thu 01-Sep-16 22:05:12

Thank you.

I'd go in and sty in occurs, the alternative is too scary but it's upsetting to think it may happen.

Both sets of parents live over 2hrs away and have a lot of commitments so it wouldn't be that easy. oH would have to take leave and lo can go to to the childminder still so that's not too bad. Just so worried tbh.

I am planning my leave to stay in about 8wks time and I cannot wait, if anything because the stress of having to take time off work for appointments is less! So awful to think that though

Ffswtf Thu 01-Sep-16 22:17:34

I'm a long term anxiety sufferer too, I don't know if this makes sense but I find it helps me to plan for worst case scenario and hope for the best. If I put plans in place and make lists I feel I am taking back control of my situation rather than letting the worry and anxiety get the better of me? I had low lying placenta with my third and by the 32 week scan it had moved and I was able to have a straightforward delivery. Hope this helps flowers

BeedlesPineNeedles Fri 02-Sep-16 06:44:52

I think the reason they don't give too much advice at 20 weeks is that 90% of low placentas will move.

Mine was half diagnosed at 20 weeks (baby's head in the way) and I was booked for another scan at 32 weeks. I wasn't told to avoid anything. I had a very small bleed at 27 weeks, which lead to 1 night in hospital and 2 weeks sick leave. (There is nothing we can think of that could have caused the bleeding). I was scanned at the hospital and my placenta was completely covering my cervix.

My Dr has warned me that further bleeding is likely, and now I have been told to take it easy - no sex, no gym, only gentle walks. If I bleed again I will probably be signed off for the rest of my pregnancy (I have an easy office job, if you have a more strenuous job it might be different) but it won't be until the 3rd bleed that they would want to keep me in hospital until the baby is born.

If it helps you to feel less anxious could you pack a bag for a short hospital stay now (we have one packed and ready to go now), and maybe start getting things ready for the baby a bit earlier. Though as it's dc2 hopefully you have most of the important things already.

Fingers crossed it moves and you have no bleeding.

Growingbeanno2 Sun 04-Sep-16 13:50:39

Thank you all. I'm starting to feel a little Les anxious but have this horrid feeling occasionally that i wont come out of this with a baby. I can't explain why. It's something I've had on and off throughout this pregnancy. It scares me as I can't remember having it when I had ds1.

I do wonder whether it's because i know more this time I.e had friends who have had losses and read more. I'm sure that is what it is as I obviously wasn't in any mummy sites or anything before ds1.

It's comforting to year others have had it and are ok. I've got a lot of other stressed at the moment with work restructuring, a new boss and an apparent 'dont mention the war' approach to my pregnancy!! I just want to grt everything around my leave agreed, especially if I'm going to need more appointments etc.

Whatsername17 Sun 04-Sep-16 15:20:02

I'm in the same position. I'm 20+2 and I'm booked in for a rescan at 32 weeks. If im honest, I'm just not even thinking about it. I'm not doing anything any differently at all. Avoiding too much stretching but I would anyway.

Growingbeanno2 Sun 04-Sep-16 21:52:55

Thank you. I'm trying to be positive. It's tricky.

My lo is getting attached to the baby now and as much as I live that, I'm scared about it too in case something happens. But I know that's less than rational!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now