Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anybody still pregnant after heavy bleeding?

(12 Posts)
cooltobeginger Wed 31-Aug-16 07:07:23

Hi everyone.
So I was just wondering if there are any of you who had been in a similar position to me. I found out I was pregnant last week after 16 months of TTC. Then almost immediately after finding out, I started to spot. The spotting got heavier and there were clots the next day and period like cramping. This lasted 3 days. It's now stopped. I did go to the doctors on the first day of bleeding and he said to prepare for the worst and come back in 2 weeks if things don't get dramatically worse. I am too early to scan only being 4 weeks pregnant. So 5 days after my first test (which was a faint positive followed up by a digital to confirm) I did another test. This time the line is much darker. I'm holding on to hope that this means I'm still pregnant. I know it's a long shot but I just can't help it. I'm currently on holiday. We arrived 4 days after bleeding started. I can't quite relax with not knowing plus I swear I have morning sickness as everything is making me feel sick.
Anyway. If there's anyone that's experienced similar and was still pregnant please let me know.
XXXX

Barefootcontessa84 Wed 31-Aug-16 07:48:04

Me! Can't reply now but will come back!

Bowserlovesmojitos Wed 31-Aug-16 07:58:53

I don't want to give false hope as i've been through a mc as well but with my current pg (37+5) this happened to me, almost exactly the same.
As i'd lost one previously I didn't go the drs immediately and just left it, very heavy bleeding including passing what i'm fairly sure was a sac and everything related to loss.
2 weeks later I went to my GP's as things weren't quite right - so they sent me to the epu in case it was an incomplete mc and I needed surgery.
One of the very few 'whaaaaaat.,' moments when they scanned me and then showed me my baby still there, healthy hb and 7+ weeks!
Turns out if it is fraternal twins you can lose one and the other can survive!
It was precarious until we were past the 12 week mark as there was a huge hole in the womb lining and there was a possibility it could come away and drag the other baby with it but judging from the kicking i'm getting at the moment, this one is a fighter and didn't want to go.
So there is hope still, you will find lots of us have had very heavy bleeding throughout and still have babies/viable pg's at the end of it all.
Apparently it is very common to sometimes just have clots that pass for no discernable reason as well.
I would say just try not to test, and try to relax until you get a scan and i've got my fingers and toes crossed for you flowers

manhowdy Wed 31-Aug-16 08:35:20

Hi OP,

I was on holiday in France in May (on top of a mountain of all places) when I experienced a very heavy bleed at what would have been sometime between 6-8 weeks. Bright red blood and loads of it. It came out in a gush and went everywhere. It stopped the same day. With a history of 3 concurrent mcs I assumed the worst and began living my life as a non-pregnant woman. I even started taking the pill as I was fed up and not wanting to go through it all again.

Fast forward to 4 weeks ago when I started to notice my tummy getting big. Did a pregnancy test and it came back with a very dark positive which baffled me as I had been taking Cerezette and very carefully. Rushed to the hospital for a scan and was told I was 16 weeks. I'd been pregnant all along and despite a bleed that I would never have thought a pregnancy could survive I had not lost my baby.

I had my 20 week scan yesterday and everything is fine despite me drinking wine, taking the pill, eating all the banned foods and God knows what else.

I hope the outcome is the same for you with this bleed. I have found out at my 20 week scan that my placenta is low lying over my cervix - I am wondering if that was the cause of my early problem. It has also been suggested to me by the consultant that I could have lost a twin.

My bleed was huge but short lived. I am not sure in the panic if there were clots. Also, there was no pain or cramping. I have had pain-free mcs before though so this didn't make me suspicious.

Good luck flowers

Barefootcontessa84 Wed 31-Aug-16 08:53:47

Hi OP

So I have had three very heavy bleeds at 5/6, 9 and 10 weeks (similar to what the PP described). I was diagnosed with subchorionic haematoma at 6 weeks, which is still there (albeit a bit smaller), but the baby has been fine after each weekly scan.

I thought I was losing the pregnancy every time and it is very scary. I don't want to get your hopes up tho, as my big bleeds always only lasted a few hours (then lots of brown spotting in between, but that's expected with an SCH). I haven't had cramping, or if I have its been very mild. How much do you think you bled over the few days?

I wouldn't rely on a pregnancy test as hormones can stay in your system for a while even where it's a mc. I would try and get an appt with your local EPU so they can have a look at what is going on. Mine scanned me at 5 weeks.

Fingers crossed for you OP - there's hope yet.

Barefootcontessa84 Wed 31-Aug-16 08:54:36

Also I haven't passed any clots, but I hear that it is normal to do so with SCH.

smellsofelderberries Thu 01-Sep-16 01:44:30

I lost a huge clot at about 6.5 weeks with this pregnancy. Had been bleeding for a few days then started having contractions and it came out, followed by a few smaller ones. After a MMC 2 months prior, I expected the worst but at a scan 5 days later all was well. Was diagnosed with a subchorionic haematoma and bleed on and off until 11.5 weeks. Am now 29+5 and haven't had a problem since!

cooltobeginger Thu 01-Sep-16 12:30:17

Thank you so much ladies.

I didn't bleed as a normal period but it was definitely more than spotting. I called my doctor from my holiday and he said to do another pregnancy test when I'm home. If it's still positive he will book me in for a scan.

Xxx

thelionsleeps Thu 01-Sep-16 12:38:01

Me - massive bleed at 6 weeks full of clots and with back ache which lasted 3/4 days. Went on holiday so didn't bother going to the hospital for a scan knowing it must have been a miscarriage.

6 weeks later still showing up as positive on tests (knew it could take weeks to not show up as positive) and a clearblue test said I was plus 5 weeks which was odd. Then thought it must be retained products. Dr referred me for a scan and found out I was nearly 12 weeks with identical twins.

daisygirlmac Thu 01-Sep-16 12:49:27

I had a massive bleed about 6 weeks, mc last year so you can imagine the panic. Definitely try and get referred to the EPU they have been fab with me and have no problem with early scans, emergency scans or just being reassuring over the phone. I'm 18 weeks now!

cooltobeginger Mon 05-Sep-16 14:43:20

Hi, just wanted to put a bit of an ending to my original post. So I returned home from my holiday and did a pregnancy test which was negative so it was definitely a miscarriage. I'm just glad I have a definite answer because the not knowing has been driving me mad. Thanks to everyone who replied to me xx

elliej83 Mon 05-Sep-16 16:28:37

Don't rely on a pregnancy test as my pregnancy tests came back positive for 3 weeks after I miscarried. If you ask for a blood test at the doctors they can monitor your HCG levels which should be doubling every day if you are pregnant. The first blood test will be a good indication considering the time period but they will repeat to confirm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now