Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Two sacs one baby

(9 Posts)
babynelly2010 Mon 29-Aug-16 13:51:17

Hi, I had early scan today. Ultrosound found one baby with heart beat and an empty sac with no fetal pole. She said she thinks it is pregnancy that failed to progress. She measured me 7 weeks 6 days. Antone had this. Did you have bleeding or ended up with twins?

LondonGirl83 Mon 29-Aug-16 18:46:12

It sounds like you had a twin pregnancy and one failed to progress and has been reabsorbed. Its fairly common-- I know people who this has happened to though not me personally. Did she tell you if you should expect to miscarry the other sac? I hope it all works out for you.

Congrats on the surviving baby!

mowglik Mon 29-Aug-16 19:57:21

Hi - I had that in my previous pregnancy in my 6 week scan. They called it a vanishing twin syndrome and said I might experience some bleeding. I got spotting and light brown bleeding from 6 weeks until 9 weeks.

Maybe there is a still a chance that yours may develope - did they ask you to come back to check?

babynelly2010 Mon 29-Aug-16 22:33:24

They said it was possible there is going to be a bleed.
It was private scan so she did a report and I will show to mw when I see her in a week time to see what her take on it.

babynelly2010 Mon 29-Aug-16 22:34:19

I reasearched and developing into another twin would be really rare, impossible almost.

ClockMakerSue Mon 29-Aug-16 22:49:54

Similar happened to me. The first visit they thought I was miscarrying a single pregnancy but then I went back and they found a heart beat in a second sack that they hadn't seen before. I bled until 14 weeks on and off. flowers

RiverTam Mon 29-Aug-16 22:53:51

I had 2 heartbeats detected at 6 weeks but only one at 8 weeks. Don't recall any bleeding.

ClockMakerSue Mon 29-Aug-16 22:57:02

In subsequent scans (scanned fairly regularly until bleeding stopped to check on surviving twin), the other sac got smaller and smaller until it had all been absorbed/miscarried. I found bleeding very stressful and sad and until it stopped, my pregnancy was termed, 'a threatened miscarriage'. By week 15, everything had settled down ans I had no more bleeding. I was told that for some women, the twin sac is completely absorbed with no bleeding.

Muffintops87 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:29:27

I had this, I had a very small amount of bleeding around week 6, I was on the EPAU ward anyway being treated for HG and they offered me a scan. They said that it was most likely a failed pregnancy as the sack was a lot small and squashed behind the successful one. I am 20 weeks in now and not had any bleeding since but definitely not a twin pregnancy now.

Try not to dwell on it or worry about it too much, there was nothing that could have been done. Most women don't even know when this has happened as some spotting at this stage can be very normal and so it is not investigated, like I say if I wasn't there anyway being treated for severe sickness I most likely wouldn't have been offered the scan and I would have been none the wiser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now