Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm so scared

(7 Posts)
sj257 Mon 29-Aug-16 07:03:28

I got admitted to hospital on Saturday with severe pain in my left side and back. They suspected either kidney infection or stones. Blood cultures came back normal so they are assuming it's stones. I'm on the early pregnancy ward. I'm 19+5. I'm scared to death that this is going to cause me to lose the baby. I'm so scared i can't stop crying.

Irelephant Mon 29-Aug-16 07:20:38

No advice but il give it a bump for you.

Kidney stones are horrendous you poor thing. It won't feel like it but your in the best place.

Hoping someone with some knowledge can come along and give you some advice.

Chocolatestain Mon 29-Aug-16 07:25:05

I have no medical knowledge in this field, so can't give you you any practical advice, but just wanted to offer a hug. I see you posted in the early hours when I'm guessing there were very few members of staff around, but do push for more information when the day shift come on duty. The nurses may simply not realise how scared you feel and be able to put your mind at rest by explaining the situation more clearly. Good luck and hope you're ok.

sj257 Mon 29-Aug-16 08:25:10

I keep asking questions but nobody seems to know anything 😞

hopeful31yrs Mon 29-Aug-16 09:19:03

Kidney stones are incredibly painful but won't cause any damage to the baby. You need an ultrasound scan to make sure your kidneys are ok, worst case a CT scan which they'll try and avoid.

Toomuchnoise97 Mon 29-Aug-16 10:05:56

I had this too at around 28 weeks, it was a stone and i have a history of them.
I had an ultrasound and lots of iv antibiotics and fluids for 24 hours. Looks like I passed the stone before I went in (delayed as much as possible!).
Felt a million times better once the drips had done their work.
They hurt like hell but won't hurt the baby, just you!
Rest up and drink lots and lots. Try and relax.
Oh and get some canesten at the ready to deal with the after effects of the antibiotics!

sj257 Mon 29-Aug-16 18:31:35

I was meant to stay in tonight until I could get a kidney ultrasound tomorrow, however I got very upset and begged to go home as they were basically only keeping me in to give pain relief, no treatment. They've allowed me home on the condition I go back at 8 in the morning. Fingers crossed my pain stays at bay, they have given me some pain relief just in case, but I haven't had any pain since first thing this morning. My worry with regards to the baby was that this may set off early labour or something and obviously he isn't viable yet 😔 I have anxiety so do a good job of always thinking the worst.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now