Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How close to due date should DH start staying closer to home?

(14 Posts)
Aliveinwanderland Sun 28-Aug-16 15:51:22

My DH car shares for work and so 3/4 days a week doesn't have a car with him at work. He works 30 miles away from our house which is 25 miles away from the hospital in the opposite direction.

I'm currently 32 weeks, at what point should I expect him to take his own car to work so he can come home if needed?

He also has a few nights out planned where he will have a drink and therefore be unable to get home (taxi would cost £40 plus) and would be unable to drive me to hospital. Am I being unreasonable to ask him not to drink once I get to about 38 weeks?

AddictedtoGreys Sun 28-Aug-16 17:43:38

My DH decided not to drink from when I was 37 weeks. My DS arrived at 38 weeks so was worried this one would arrive early too, but currently at 40+1 and no sign!

Aliveinwanderland Sun 28-Aug-16 17:46:16

I know as a first baby it's likely I will go to at least 40 weeks if not longer so trying not to stress too much.

I am working myself up to 38 weeks so think I may suggest that after that he takes his own car to work so he can get back to me if needed.

Pinklily1 Sun 28-Aug-16 17:57:28

My OH and I agreed he wouldn't drink from 38 weeks onwards. I was working until 38+1, so it coincided with my finishing work. I'm now 39+5 and still no baby hmm

DropYourSword Sun 28-Aug-16 18:00:49

My DH stopped drinking when I was 36 weeks. Gave birth at 39 (first baby).

Cocochoco Sun 28-Aug-16 18:09:02

I never considered asking dh not to have a beer - can't remember it even coming up.

DropYourSword Sun 28-Aug-16 18:21:06

How far from the hospital do you live coco - I'm a good 45 minutes away. Maybe that makes a difference

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sun 28-Aug-16 18:32:18

The first baby being late thing is actually a myth - statistically there's no evidence for it.
It's up to you really. I think a few drinks are fine but obviously they don't allow drunk people on the ward.
And if he's at work you could get a taxi and meet him there?
But it's what you feel comfortable with really.
For what's it's worth my first was 35 weeks and second pretty near due date.

Cocochoco Sun 28-Aug-16 19:07:34

Not far - 15 mins. Maybe that does make a difference then. It never occurred to me that this would be an issue - and tbh I usually worry about everything. Both my labours started early in the day - even the speedy one took a few hours. And the hospital sent us home when we went in the first time.

Aliveinwanderland Sun 28-Aug-16 20:24:39

Abbey- the hospital is 25 miles from our house and 55 miles from his work! Taxi isn't really an option.

Trifleorbust Sun 28-Aug-16 21:31:52

37 weeks seems reasonable to me.

Macarena1990 Sun 28-Aug-16 21:37:30

It never really occurred to me to be honest.

However OH was so adamant that no 3 would be a week late like the previous 2, that he went abroad with work a week before her due date. Of course I went into labour whilst he was away!!!

April241 Mon 29-Aug-16 11:24:24

I'm currently 31+3 into a twin pregnancy, my OH went out on Friday night to a gig and said it was his last night out drinking, his choice not something I'd asked him to do. I'm quite relieved though as I kept having visions on Friday night of me going into labour and got myself into a right state blush

Lj8893 Mon 29-Aug-16 11:29:43

With a first baby you are likely to have plenty of time in labour before you need to get to hospital, early labour can last hours and even days with some women, at which point dh can decide not to go to work. Same for drinking really, hes likely to get some good warning time to not drink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now