Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nursery furniture

(11 Posts)
Brightsmoke Sun 28-Aug-16 08:26:18

Hey everyone.

Still very early days for me, but I've already started looking for things I want/need.

I'm looking for cot, wardrobe and drawers/changer in preferably oak, but pine is ok. I've seen one I like on mamas and papas, but just wondered if anyone else knew of some good sites to look at?

We want solid wood, in wood colour, but not looking to spend stupid amounts as I don't see the point! Would buy second hand, looking for up to around £700

Thanks smile

cocopops88 Sun 28-Aug-16 09:18:07

We bought a mamas and papas ocean set off ebay, change table with draws, cot and wardrobe for 370! With the original receipts from 3 years ago for over 1500!

DanniAngelMummy Sun 28-Aug-16 09:42:49

Hey smile
I got my first nursery set from babies r us..
This time round we have been looking at 'precious little one' online. Argos do some lovely sets! I have to be honest IKEA are good too!!
Congratulations by the way!!! X

DanniAngelMummy Sun 28-Aug-16 11:00:18

And mothercare... Lol X

Soozikinzi Sun 28-Aug-16 11:05:15

Have you looked on gum tree ?my sons just bought his own house and got some lovely stuff from there x

DownWithThisSortaThing Sun 28-Aug-16 11:09:47

If you're wanting solid oak you are going to be looking at stupid amounts tbh ( brand new) nursery furniture can be very expensive. We looked around a few shops and decided our budget limited us to ikea grin

Try eBay/preloved/gumtree if you don't mind second hand
You might have to a bit of an obsessive browser til you see something that you fancy.
I got our pram/stroller that way - it's a decent one and it only cost £100, including carrycot. It's like new.

There are also some small shops/companies which sell second hand prams and furniture. It might be worth to see if there's any near you? They're often very good quality.

maisybobbins Sun 28-Aug-16 11:13:47

John Lewis
Aspace
M&s

Enjoy!

MadeForThis Sun 28-Aug-16 11:20:27

Gumtree can be fantastic

chloechloe Sun 28-Aug-16 12:58:59

Whilst the usual sets of nursery furniture look really sweet, I think it's just a bit of a marketing ploy. Babies don't need wardrobes, they don't have any clothes that need hanging up! The same goes for changing tables, I don't think they're necessary at all. You can just put a changing mat on a normal set of drawers. Soon they'll be more active and you'll take to changing them on the sofa or floor rather than carrying them upstairs.

For DD1 we bought a cot bed and a normal set of drawers (the 8 drawer Hemnes from Ikea, doesn't come in natural wood though). Lots of drawers are much more practical for babies, especially if you add in dividers. This has room for everything - clothes, bedding, nappies, toiletries, muslins - and I just put a changing mat on top.

If you're set on solid wood that way you could just get a cot and a dresser for less money (baby furniture is overpriced) and then add in a wardrobe when s/he gets bigger.

smellsofelderberries Sun 28-Aug-16 13:18:53

I have bought this Victorian chest of draws for little one's room, and will have a change mat on top and we'll keep nappies and bits in the top draw. It needs a bit of a clean out and some fresh draw liners but I'm very pleased with it. All of her clothes will fit in here for a good while and I like the fact that it's a gorgeous piece which will grow with her. Think we paid £190 plus another £30 for a courier to deliver it. If we needed hanging space for her I would probably get something like the attached, depending on how sturdy it felt!

We found a Stokke Sleepi Mini cot on eBay for £100 and paid another £140 for new mattresses for it.

You might want a nice chair for feeding in, we're only in a two bed flat so will have a sofa bed in her room as it will still need to double as a guest room.

Definitely figure out what you like and keep an eye on eBay!

user1462981975 Sun 28-Aug-16 18:42:51

We've just bought a second hand set which was originally from Housing Units in Manchester. It is gorgeous, great solid quality and in amazing condition! It's still for sale on the website at £800, worth a look as it is lovely! www.housingunits.co.uk/bordeaux-nursery-furniture-collection.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now