We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What would happen if....

(5 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Wed 24-Aug-16 22:10:58

...I accidentally became pregnant whilst taking 40mg of citalopram?

I'm currently taking this for PND following my first baby who is nearly 2. Have tried to reduce the dose but I'm not ready yet so sticking with it. I have the merina coil so chances of actually becoming pregnant are very slim, but since my friend became pregnant with the coil 3 months ago I am becoming increasingly paranoid!

So what would happen? What would be the risk to the baby? I'm not sure I could stop taking it all of a sudden.

I keep weighing up the risks of the effect of it on any potential unborn baby versus the risk of not taking it on my mental health and my family. Especially my little girl.

Any insight would be great.

It's bothering me so much that I'm currently practicing the safest form of birth control.... No sex!

Bellyrub1980 Wed 24-Aug-16 22:12:45

The other thing is that I've recently had a really nasty ear infection. This has meant anti biotics and strong opiod pain killers and anti inflammatories.

How would this kind of this effect the unborn baby. Surely lots if women are in this position in the very early stages of pregnancy??

Bellyrub1980 Fri 26-Aug-16 13:45:16

Well pregnancy test has confirmed I am not pregnant. But still curious so.......

Bump!

kathrynelizabeth3005 Fri 26-Aug-16 20:39:49

Hi Bellyrub1980!

I've been on citalopram for just over a year for depression and anxiety... started on 20mg but for the past 6months or so I've been taking 40mg every night to go to sleep with.

I found out I was pregnant on the 6th of August and have seen my GP (that week) and the midwife for my booking appointment (this week) and both have said that citalopram is safe to take for the baby, particulaly when the benefits of taking it for the mother, outweigh any potential risks.

I was at a point of being ready to decrease/come off my dose so I'm down to taking 20mg again which I am planning to take throughout pregnancy. Both the GP and midwife said that as I've suffered with depression, the risk for PND is higher so it would be too much inconsistency if I stopped taking them and then ended up having to go back on them after the baby is born.

I'm not sure of exact ins and outs, but going by what I've been told, and my personal circumstances, continuing with citalopram is going to be better. I've already been a nervous wreck and imagine I will be until my first scan so I only dread to think of how I'd feel if I tried coming off them completely!!

Trulyamnearanear Fri 26-Aug-16 21:51:55

What should happen is you'd talk to
your doctor and/or midwife and discuss your situation and then make the best decision for you. My 3rd pg and I've never been advised to give it up. 1 dr said about reducing and the other 2 said continue as I was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now