Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Would you get a brace while pregnant?

(17 Posts)
Theknittinggorilla Wed 24-Aug-16 19:56:33

I am really keen to have my teeth straightened. It's bothered me for ages and I have recently decided to just do it. I need to have a fixed brace for 6 months.

However I have just found out I am 6 weeks pregnant. There is no medical reason I can't have the brace while being pregnant, and part of me thinks I might as well go the whole hog and be fat, unattractive and uncomfortable at the same time, rather than wait until after I have the baby and have to start the whole brace thing then. Or am I being crazy to add more potential discomfort during what will be a tough 8 months (I have two dc already and had awful back pain and ligament pain in my last pregnancy.

Has anyone done this? What do you think?

Dlah Wed 24-Aug-16 20:49:39

Id say go for it now. Whilst I was still younger when I had them, I couldn't have my braces until 16 - 18, and I'd say better to get them on and done now without the risk of a little person head butting you in the mouth and causing you pain!

By the time the babies out you'll be fabulous and glowing!

OddBoots Wed 24-Aug-16 20:55:05

Have your dentist and ortho said it would be fine medically? Pregnant women get free dental because the hormones cause changes so it is worth checking if you haven't already. If they say it is fine then I think I would.

isittimeforarainbow Wed 24-Aug-16 20:59:01

I would prob go for it, just consider what it would be like if you are throwing up or have a super sensitive gag reflex, braces might not be a lot of fun.
This time I thought I was immune to morning sickness until it hit me at 9 weeks

TeaBelle Wed 24-Aug-16 21:01:03

No I wouldn't just because my brace made my saliva glands go in to overdrive and that plus nausea would be awful

Couchpotato3 Wed 24-Aug-16 21:01:15

The problem with doing this while you are pregnant, is that the ligaments around your teeth soften like all the others in your body, so your teeth will likely move very easily, but may not stay put once the job is finished. It's probably worth having a chat to your orthodontist, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. You could end up spending an awful lot of money and not getting a good outcome.

Theknittinggorilla Wed 24-Aug-16 21:03:46

That's a good point tea. I had awful nausea with dc2 but not too bad so far with this one, though it is early days. Orthodontist said no medical issue. I'm going to check with my usual dentist next week. Am just thinking its going to be a rubbish 8 months anyway might as well pile it all in, then when (last!) baby arrives I can get fit and in shape and have lovely straight teeth!

AyeAmarok Wed 24-Aug-16 21:05:05

I agree good idea to spend what will be an uncomfortable time 20% more uncomfortable and get it all over with. That's what I'd do.

But couch potato's point is a good one, I'd check that out first.

Also your teeth sometimes get quite sensitive in early pregnancy so watch out for that too.

Theknittinggorilla Wed 24-Aug-16 21:05:16

That's some thing to ask about couchpotato. I'm going to get a second opinion/quote so will bring that up, thank you.

EreniTheFrog Wed 24-Aug-16 21:43:25

I had my braces on as a teenager, but found that in the early stages they really limited what I could eat. If you go for it whilst pregnant (and I totally get your logic!) do be careful about nutrition etc

Advicepls7080 Wed 24-Aug-16 21:45:09

Lots of orthos/dentists won't do it whilst you're pregnant for various reasons. My sister refused to do mine or send me to anyone she knew who could do a brace whilst I was pregnant she said wait until afterwards so I did!

museumum Wed 24-Aug-16 21:46:29

I wouldn't because I needed painkillers with my brace but you can't use ibuprofen in pregnancy and while paracetamol is ok I'd be reluctant to put myself in a position of needing it regularly.

Advicepls7080 Wed 24-Aug-16 21:55:23

Also as you already know you'll be prone to gum disease when pregnant which when having a brace increases your risk of losing a tooth, I'm sure you'd rather wait then possible lose a tooth!

mypropertea Wed 24-Aug-16 21:58:14

I'd wait till the sickness was over then go for it. Currently have a brace and am pregnant, if anything it has meant the teeth move easier so the treatment has been faster and less painful.

Kitchenaide Wed 24-Aug-16 21:59:29

I had a lingual brace while pregnant and it was fine. My teeth are still straight (I have a nighttime retainer but a bit lazy about it) and a permanent wire behind front teeth. I didn't lose a tooth (that's very old fashioned!) and my ortho said they see loads of pregnant ladies.

everdene Wed 24-Aug-16 22:00:10

I have braces and am pregnant but I'm sure you're not calling anyone other than yourself unattractive for having a brace wink

In all honesty I wouldn't want to have gone through the start of this whole thing pregnant, lots of it is gag-making when they put the gum in your mouth, plus I have to go to the orthodontist every six weeks which alongside going to antenatal appointments is going to be pretty disruptive to my work.

isittimeforarainbow Wed 24-Aug-16 22:14:32

teeth don't have ligaments!
But hormonal changes do affect the gums

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now