Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Back pain and getting signed off

(4 Posts)
44PumpLane Wed 24-Aug-16 10:14:20

Right- I don't want to come across as a total wimp but this is a genuine question that I don't feel I can ask anyone in real life as I hate the thought I might sound like a malingerer!

I'm 22+5 with twins, over the past 5 or 6 days I've really started suffering with pain in my back and around the sides of my rib cage- it's particularly pronounced when I'm sitting.

I'm in pain driving and in pain sat at my desk for work.

I've been referred for physio but it could take a couple weeks- has anyone been signed off for back pain?

My job is wholly desk based and I'm in agony. I'm not the type of person to just call in sick- I always work from home as a first step of I'm not feeling ill. But I just don't know how I can carry on feeling like this.

I can't really take anything for the pain and it's so awful- it's making me so tired and my job is very full on. I'm feeling really conflicted about what to do!

Vb87 Wed 24-Aug-16 13:47:41

I haven't been signed off work (yet) but I feel your pain. I'm 24+3 weeks and currently can't move with back pain. I'm a teacher and have been on summer hols, I go back next week and worried that I won't be able to cope and will get signed off...

Hope your back is feeling better soon, as if being pregnant isn't hard enough! brewcake

Star8181 Wed 24-Aug-16 19:31:38

Hiya, I was signed off work at 32 weeks with my 2nd pregnancy as I had terrible back pain. I'm the opposite of you though, I had a job where I'm standing all day, also a teacher, same as pp, and got to the point where I was crying in pain at work. I went to the GP and explained I was struggling (I'd been having physio for a while) and he did a few checks on my back and legs then had no hesitation signing me off. I ended up being off until I automatically went into maternity leave at 36 weeks.
You could also ask about reducing your hours if you'd prefer, I think GPs can also help you with that. You have to do what's best for you op.

44PumpLane Wed 24-Aug-16 22:13:47

Thanks for the replies ladies- as awful as it sounds it's good to hear I'm not alone!

My pain is when sitting upright, I'm getting a workplace assessment tomorrow to see if there is anything they can do but really I'm only comfortable when I'm walking about (but then the bump gets heavy after a while) or when I'm lying back a bit.

My twin bump is probably similar to a full term single (according to the 7 or 8 helpful people who have already told me how huge I am smile ) so I just see this getting worse and I guess I'm just worried.

I've been offered the opportunity to be signed off work previously (something unrelated) but really didn't want to as I hate the thought of letting work down or people thinking I'm skiving, but this time it's not just me I have to think about is it, it's the two babies I'm growing!

I'll see how the assessment goes tomorrow but thank you for your replies xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now