Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Footling breach at 35 weeks

(23 Posts)
leoniethelioness Wed 24-Aug-16 10:01:38

Hi

My baby is footling breech at 35 weeks. Is it likely that he will turn of his own accord before birth? I am just looking for your experiences with breech babies at this stage as I'm not sure about ECV and would like a vaginal birth if possible.

Thank you!

bouncyball16 Wed 24-Aug-16 10:21:37

Hi Lion
My baby is 5 weeks old now and she was footling breech.
She was head down at my 34 week scan however she turned ... little monkey!
It wasnt discovered until I was having a sweep at 41 weeks! As she was my first baby and I was so far gone they did not recommend a turn so booked me in for a c section 3 days later.
On the day of the c section the morning scan revealed she had moved and was transverse! We like to think she was making her way back 😊
My experience of a c section was really good, I had an excellent theatre team and my recovery went really well and quick! Before I knew she was breech I hated the idea of a c section and expected to be devastated if I was told I couldnt give birth naturally but that is not how I feel now.
Ultimately I knew it was out of my hands, there was nothing I could do so I just went with it and now have my healthy baby girl.

C sections aren't that bad. I hope your little boy turns and you get the birth you want x

leoniethelioness Wed 24-Aug-16 10:30:28

I've just realised I can't spell "breech", ooops.

leoniethelioness Wed 24-Aug-16 10:33:00

Thank you, bouncy! Congratulations on your new baby! I hope you're enjoying motherhood as well! This is my first baby too. I'm really pleased to hear you had such a good experience. I think I am less worried about the idea of a planned C-section than an emergency C-section - I had just hoped to labour naturally. Fingers crossed that I will still be able to do so! I still have 5 weeks to go although baby is measuring on 95 per centile - not sure whether that will have any impact on his arrival date!

My baby has been head down at every single antenatal appointment I've had but I had to have a scan today and he was clearly breech. I'm ab it surprised!

bouncyball16 Wed 24-Aug-16 11:24:05

I know exactly how you feel. We were completely shocked too! I had IVF so pregnancy was consultant lead, my consultant didn't detect the breech at a 40week sweep. It was my second sweep when my midwife though she better send me for the scan as she wanted to rule it out.

I agree that emergency c sections must be a completely different experience to a planned one. I feel lucky that we discovered she was breech before I went in to a natural labour. No doubt if the midwife hadn't gone with her instinct I could well have had an emergency csection.

Please don't feel too disappointed if you end up with a c section. If you do just look after yourself and try to enjoy the experience, focus on the pros of it..your partner can still cut the cord after baby has been seperated from you and they lowered the sheet so I could see her be born. It's not all bad smile

couldthisbeit Wed 24-Aug-16 11:30:59

My second was footling breech at 38 weeks and had turned by the day I was scanned before booking my c section. I didn't feel him turn but had tried mopping the floors on all hours for over an hour! He was a week late in the end and a generous 8lb 7 and didn't engage until my waters broke. But whatever happens will be ok, more than ok as you will have your lovely little one and it will matter not how they arrive! Good luck X

couldthisbeit Wed 24-Aug-16 11:31:23

Fours not hours!

leoniethelioness Wed 24-Aug-16 12:58:38

Thank you both! Here's hoping he rotates!

insan1tyscartching Wed 24-Aug-16 13:07:14

My ds turned at 34 weeks to a footling breech. I had ELCS at 40 weeks as he didn't turn back and they wouldn't attempt to turn him. The CS was ok, I'd had a vaginal delivery before and had vaginal deliveries after though as I found recovery much better.

GashleyCrumbTiny Wed 24-Aug-16 13:21:32

Watching this thread closely! I'm 34 and my baby has been breech whole way through. They don't sound confident she'll turn at this point and brought up c-section at my last scan (they won't try an ECV as had some bleeding in third trimester). Certainly not my first choice, but would much rather a planned one than an emergency one, so will roll with it if she doesn't sort herself out!

Very interested to hear others' experiences. When are sections usually scheduled for? Doctor mentioned week 39 but that seems to be cutting it close (speaks the voice of an uncomfortable first timer who can't quite believe baby can possibly keep growing for another six weeks without me popping!) Any resources anyone can recommend for preparing myself for the recovery?

leoniethelioness Wed 24-Aug-16 15:04:21

Glad to hear these positive stories of c-sections. DS must have turned in the last week as he's been head down at every midwife appointment before today. I've got my 36 week appointment next week so hopefully he'll be in place by then... I've got a feeling they'll send me for another scan to double check regardless of what they feel though!

Gashley Crossing my fingers for you!

Also interested to know when they need to have turned by before a section is booked.

ChatterNatterer Wed 24-Aug-16 17:00:11

I am currently 33+4 and have been breech all the way through so will be following this thread with interest.

Did anyone have the 'turn manouver' and did it work? It doesn't sound a nice procedure so can you say no?

GashleyCrumbTiny Wed 24-Aug-16 17:59:10

One thing the doctor said to me is that they'll scan you no the day before they actually do the c-section - so even if they only turn at the last minute, they'll cancel it! That may be something that varies by area, but that's certainly what I was told - so even if they book it in, they won't go ahead if they turn after that!

hopinghopefullyagain Wed 24-Aug-16 18:05:56

It's good to read this - I'm 36 +5 with a baby who was head down, then transverse and now is breech. I'm booked in for a section at almost 39 weeks (think 39 is standard ) which will be cancelled if he does turn. A section wouldn't be my first choice just because it will make life trickier after birth but, having had one stillborn baby, I'm not in it for the method of delivery 😁. I'm not worried about the section but was starting to feel like I was the only person with an indecisive baby.

FuzzyOwl Wed 24-Aug-16 18:10:02

Usually what happens is -

An appointment for a breech baby is booked following a scan at 36 weeks. You will then be booked in for an ELCS at 39 weeks and have an EMCS if you go into labour sooner. If on the morning of the ELCS, the baby has moved then it will be cancelled. Obviously if the baby moves back into breech and you go into labour you'll be offered an EMCS.

ECV aren't offered for women with anterior placentas and their success rate can really depend on the person doing them. The baby can turn back to breech afterwards or, in very rare cases, you might need to have an EMCS straight away.

livinginabox Wed 24-Aug-16 18:10:43

Im 37+3 and baby has been breech the whole pregnancy. Midwives sent me for a scan this week to sort a C-section as they could feel the head and when I got there she had turned. Didn't feel it but she's definitely head down, so don't lose hope!

LuchiMangsho Wed 24-Aug-16 19:53:16

Didn't have a breech baby. But had a C section. Booked for 39 weeks. This is to give the baby the best chance of maturing his/her lungs. And if you go into labour earlier (I did at 38+2) they just do what they call an 'emergency section' but there was no emergency about it. No one was rushed or hurried. It was very chilled. My surgeons were joking and laughing with me. Hugely supportive atmosphere in theatre. I remember it with a lot of pleasure- if you can imagine it being fun, it was fun! And again because you haven't laboured for hours you are much fresher and less tired. AND because I went into labour and then had a c section my body was already ready to deliver so my milk came in pretty quickly as well.

scoobyloobyloo Thu 25-Aug-16 07:13:25

My little girl is now 8 weeks and was footling breech. I went into labour 11 hours before my scheduled c section. This is very unusual as the feet don't normally exert enough pressure to start labour off.

Because she was footling the labour pains felt very different and the midwives cocked up my exam - by the time the consultant saw me I was 10cm dilated and rushed in for an emergency c section.

If baby stays breech, get to hospital at earliest opportunity if you feel labour starting. Footling breech babies are less likely to turn than other breech babies because of their position.

The plus side - strong legs and excellent head control!

Saku Sun 28-Aug-16 00:41:50

still not late ... try .. Cat stretch yoga exercise .. and wipe kitchen floor on knees at least for 10 minutes... every day.. .. it seems to work for many expected breech mums

hope you will get the birth way you want .. blessings flowers

IsThisYourSanderling Sun 28-Aug-16 06:36:15

I'm in the same position as you - 35+5 with breech baby. I've turned down the ECV as I've decided it puts the baby under too much stress for my liking. I like to think he knows best what it's like in there, and I don't want to force him to be in a certain position...

Initially I was gutted about the prospect of an elcs, but now I'm relieved- having read how positive they sound. It actually got to the point last week where I started panicking at the thought of him turning and not getting the section. My midwife has reassured me that if he does turn and I still want a section, I can have one. I'm also a bit worried about his position as footling and transverse both carry risks of cord prolapse if your waters go before the section, and I don't trust my baby not to randomly go on the wonk, as his head always bobbing about between 10 and 2 o'clock. I'll be bombarding the sonographer with questions at my next scan, no doubt.

Also - it's possible your baby may have been breech the whole time and the midwives were just misinterpreting what they were feeling - since 30 weeks, three times I've had a midwife say mine is head down only for a scan to show the contrary!

Good luck whatever happens smile

flyingchick1 Sun 28-Aug-16 06:51:31

Hi Lion,
Don't worry, enjoy the last few weeks of your pregnancy. My baby too was footling breech for pretty much my entire pregnancy. Waters went at 35 weeks, got to hospital and was 6 cm ( but have had very quick labours) so was offered and opted for a vaginal delivery and 45 mins later DS was here. I appreciate that this is unusual but just wanted to offer another perspective. Some trusts are increasingly offering vaginal breech delivery so you could look into this if you were interested.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

NonnoMum Sun 28-Aug-16 06:53:54

Try spinningbabies.com and reflexology worked for me in turning my baby...

ChatterNatterer Sun 28-Aug-16 11:29:17

34 weeks and had a scan this week to say she had turned and is head down - let's hope she stays that way smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now