Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weird feeling in nose/back of throat causing gagging???

(6 Posts)
KateTheShrew Tue 23-Aug-16 11:34:11

Wondering if anybody else has experienced this or can suggest anything to help.

I'm 12 weeks pregnant, and from 5 weeks had bad nausea (which I've been taking medication for, and which I have another thread moaning about). Anyway, I feel like the nausea in my stomach is getting better - I'm able to eat more, and eat a wider variety of food etc.

All good... Except that (warning, this is GROSS) since 9/10 weeks I've been having really horrible gagging/dry retching attacks which don't seem to come from my stomach, but seem to be because of a weird feeling in the back of my nose. It's really hard to describe, but it's like my nose and throat are dry, and at the same time I have thick, sticky mucus, or just even a strange 'pressure' right at the back of my throat, triggering my gag reflex.

I had a similar things in my last pregnancy, which the Dr said was 'pregnancy rhinitis' and prescribed a steroid nasal spray, which helped. I've got the same spray now, but this time it doesn't seem to be helping his time sad

I honestly can't tell if this is just another phase of morning sickness which will pass as the first tri ends, or if it's something completely different that I'll be stuck with for much longer.

It's a really horrible feeling, and the gagging is really violent, and sometimes I can feel it coming on for hours before it happens. It hasn't yet led to vomiting, but I've barely left the house lately because I don't want to have an attack in public -- it's impossible to cover up. Things I've tried apart from the medicated spray include saline spray, menthol gum, polos, hot drinks. All of these work a little, but not reliably.

Has anyone else had this and found something that helped? Did it go away on its own? Looking for some hope!

KateTheShrew Tue 23-Aug-16 14:15:58

bump

Jodie1982 Tue 23-Aug-16 19:39:15

That doesn't sound very nice at all, I've not experienced this but I think you need to see your doctor. It doesn't sound right to me. Good luck.

user1468321775 Tue 23-Aug-16 19:52:58

I have had the very same thing all through my pregnancy...if I'm honest, nothing has actually helped. I keep 'clearing' my throat/nose but that's just cause more discomfort due to straining. Keep drinking water and try not to clear and swallow it down as it just makes you sick and miserable!!!!

KateTheShrew Tue 23-Aug-16 20:08:04

Thanks Jodie, yes it's horrible! I have spoken to the Dr about it, but it's quite hard to explain, and I think they think it's just morning sickness, but it feels different to me. I've got an another appointment later this week, so I'll mention it again.

user, sorry to hear you've got this too (but a bit relieved to hear I'm not the only one in the world with this weird problem!) Did it ease up at all as your pregnancy went on? Or did you find you were able to cope with it better? It's ruling my life at the moment!

user1468321775 Tue 23-Aug-16 21:33:13

Maybe only in the last couple of weeks (I'm 32 weeks now). It was the sickness feeling that was worst for me tbh - I was swallowing too much of the flem. Yuk. I always found it particularly bad a night too but found it easier to take some water to bed with me...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now