Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Today is diagnosis today!!! So worried!!!

(15 Posts)
Nikki2ol6 Tue 23-Aug-16 06:47:02

Today i am 21 weeks pregnant! This pregnancy has been perfect but last week at our 20 week scan major heart abnormalities were found. Not much was said except there is a hole, the great vessels are in the wrong places or fused as the same vessel and other stuff is enlarged. We got healthy children already and we are both young. So this has been a huge shock to us and since being told this last week we have not slept properly and been so worried. So this morning is an all with fetal cardiac specalist team for a very detailed scan and to be told exactly what is wrong and I believe give our "options" I know termination will be mentioned but this is a no-no aslong as he can live a normal healthy life. Heart surgery was mentioned to us but it depends on a lot of things as if this is real bad it would need to be immediately after birth. I don't know what I'm asking I just wish someone could say this is will all be fine

ASAS Tue 23-Aug-16 06:52:05

cake

And eventually it will all be fine.

Nospringflower Tue 23-Aug-16 06:53:47

Hope all goes well today and you find out what you are dealing with and can make decisions based on this. flowers

Nikki2ol6 Tue 23-Aug-16 07:02:21

Thank you x

Trifleorbust Tue 23-Aug-16 07:04:24

Good luck flowers

Try to remember that very often medical issues sound terrifying, but are in fact very manageable. I hope you get all the information you need and the news is more positive today.

Blu Tue 23-Aug-16 07:14:57

So worrying, Nikki, and so sorry you have had this shock and worry to deal with.

All good wishes for today, and fingers crossed that this is a condition that the consultant can work with.

They won't mention termination unless your baby really cannot be helped, and in any case the choice would still be yours. A baby born, even for a short while, is still your baby.

But hopefully be able to sort the problem out. They are able to work miracles with heart surgery, so hoping for some optimism for you.

Pizdets Tue 23-Aug-16 07:22:56

I've been here before, the waiting is a killer. Really hope that you get good (or manageable at least) news today.

MagpieCursedTea Tue 23-Aug-16 07:39:43

All the best flowers

LadyNymeriaGhost Tue 23-Aug-16 07:54:27

Wishing you luck today. Take a pen and paper with you and ask the consultant to write down any medical terms they may use, so you can reflect on them later.

iwillbemrsminty Tue 23-Aug-16 12:49:54

Going through something similar at the minute, thinking of you and sending you good wishes OP x

leoniethelioness Tue 23-Aug-16 13:53:49

Hope your appointment goes well xxx

DesignedForLife Tue 23-Aug-16 16:10:47

Hoping the appointment went well and that you've been given a good explanation of everything x

WellErrr Tue 23-Aug-16 16:16:17

Hope it all goes well

Penguin13 Tue 23-Aug-16 18:58:48

Hope your appointment went well Nikki and that the doctor was able go reassure you. Your baby's condition sounds quite similar to what my husband had when he was born - his heart was connected up the wrong way so the de-oxygenated blood mixed with the oxygenated. Unlike you though his mum had no idea until after he was born as there was no such thing as an ultrasound the same reason they didn't know it was twins till a couple of weeks before the birth! It's a serious condition but he had an op as a baby and apart from the scar, 36 years later you would barely know he had the operation. He even played rugby for his county as a teenager. It is absolutely phenomenonal the advances they have made in cardiac medicine and the fact that you know about the condition and the doctors can plan how to treat it is really good. flowers for you.

Surf25 Tue 23-Aug-16 20:00:40

Hope the appointment went well op and that you were able to ask anything you wanted to and found the professionals to be as open and helpful as they can be. Wishing you all the very best

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now