Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Why am i always worried something is wrong? Is this normal.

(6 Posts)
user1471927379 Tue 23-Aug-16 06:14:42

Hiya,i'm 25 weeks pregnant with my first child and a relatively young mother, i have a good support system although the father of my daughter cannot support me physically at the moment due to his personal circumstances although we have a good relationship, i mostly rely on support from my family,mainly my mother and the father of my daughters family. A few years ago i had a tramuatic event happen and during this time i was extremely upset,this lasted a few months. After this i started to feel like everything was wrong with me,i would check for lumps,rashes,moles and convince myself i had some type of terminal illness. Many things i got checked out for and i was fine,after a while it went away and i stopped worrying as much. Recently i have started to obssesive worry and google any symptoms that i experience during my pregnancy. I have been to the emergency triage four times in the last month and a half. First i convinced myself i had preeclampsia and now i constantly worry and feel that i will go into preterm labour,i have been checked out many times and my cervix remains closed. I wouldn't say i am particularly stressed about anything at the moment so i don't know where this has come from. My family are starting to get agitated with my worries as its something new everyday which makes me feel upset that they won't take my concerns seriously as pregnancy is new to me as i am a first time mother,i worry that all the stress is affecting my daughter. I don't know how to stop worrying. Does anyone have any advice or similar experiences they can share? Thank you smile

Trifleorbust Tue 23-Aug-16 07:02:29

I'm 24 weeks and I lay awake half the night worrying that the kicks had become a bit gentler (still sitting waiting to feel something more vigorous now). I think it's normal for pregnant women to worry. I manage my anxiety by using Google to research how unlikely certain things are after early stages of pregnancy. I know I won't stay off it, so instead I look up things to reassure me.

However, it does sound like your anxiety is more serious. Have you discussed it with your GP and midwife?

smellsofelderberries Tue 23-Aug-16 07:08:38

If it's disrupting your daily life then I would say you need to talk to your midwife or GP about getting some extra support, but I have to admit that I am the same. I worry when I have ligament pain. I worry when she's having a nap and not moving much. I worry when she moves too much and having a massive kick around. I worry when I have a mentor skin breakout that my hormones are going whacky and it's going to hurt her hmm some days I feel like I can't breathe, but those days I just try and focus on other things until it passes. While I love being pregnant, I will not miss the constant anxiety of wondering whether little one is okay or not.

Wellywife Tue 23-Aug-16 07:21:46

Perfectly normal to worry during pregnancy. That continues during birth, and for the rest of DC's lives!

Again, checking moles, monthly breast checks etc. are good practice. But letting the worry take over is not good. Things go wrong, but it's rare and usually picked up in routine tests. I think you need to leave Dr Google alone for your own sanity.

user1471927379 Tue 23-Aug-16 14:49:51

Thank you everyone. I have not discussed it with my midwife or doctor but intend to make an appointment. From now on i'm going to try enjoy my pregnancy and not worry about every little thing. Best thing is too stay of dr google and stick to support forums to keep my mind on the positive. Although its a horrible thing its good to know i'm not the only one who worries.

LBNM19 Tue 23-Aug-16 23:40:04

I had this during my last pregnancy.

Worrying a certain amount is normal but what you had a few years ago really sounds like health anxiety to me. Have you heard of it? Google and have a read as it made sense to me once the psychiatrist diagnosed me with it during my last pregnancy.

I got to the stage where i had very intrusive thoughts and was constantly at the GP or a and e and even paying for private treatment.

I was put under the mental health team, given CBT and anxiety medication.

Even now I worry more than most people but I wasn't unwell like I was then.

I'm not saying that you defiantly do have that but just wanted to make you aware of it. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now