Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy book recommendations?

(15 Posts)
MushroomTree Sat 20-Aug-16 20:47:51

Just found out I'm pregnant (very early days) and would like a good book to read.

First baby so I'm probably pretty clueless! I don't want anything too twee if that makes sense, just something engaging and informative to give me an idea of what to expect.

Thanks

Muffintops87 Sat 20-Aug-16 23:33:56

I bought this for my husband but he never bothered to read it. I, however, found it funny and informative and quite accurate so far.

www.amazon.co.uk/Pregnancy-Men-whole-nine-months-ebook/dp/B004B8UTVM/ref=sr_1_129?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471732356&sr=1-129&keywords=guide+to+pregnancy

elliej83 Sat 20-Aug-16 23:49:16

I have the book for men too and have found it brilliant and far more of a light read than down of the ones aimed at women

MushroomTree Sun 21-Aug-16 07:59:51

Thanks for the replies. DP probably would read it or we'd read it together so I'll give it a go.

Fizzyjo Sun 21-Aug-16 08:18:50

I liked 'The day by day pregnancy book'. It gave me a sense of bonding each day to know what the baby is doing. It's just a nice read and I keep it by the bed - sometimes if I get a bit worried or stressed I read it and it is quite calming!

LuckyinOctober Sun 21-Aug-16 08:30:57

I have 3 and would recommend all of them - the day by day pregnancy book for same reasons as previous poster, what to expect when you're expecting which is a good factual read on just about anything you'd want to know about pregnancy (it's not twee either) and I have Hatched! which is hilarious and good for light relief.

MushroomTree Sun 21-Aug-16 09:44:30

Thanks. That's what I'm looking for. Factual and calming! I've been googling things and it is helping me bond to know what's going on in there.

Boomies Sun 21-Aug-16 10:12:27

I've really liked 'The Bump Class' as an informative book that's easy to dip in and out of and 'Birth Skills' by Juju Sundins as a practical matter of fact book about useful skills for delivery.

NameChange30 Sun 21-Aug-16 10:21:31

Congratulations!

A friend lent me "Bump" by Kate Evans and it's brilliant. Well balanced, informative and witty. It has great illustrations so you need the actual book rather than a Kindle version.

I also have "Expecting Better" by Emily Oster. It's worth reading if you want to make informed decisions about the various recommendations and restrictions, as it goes into the science and research behind them. However, I found the tone rather annoying (a bit patronising!) The author is American which might have been a factor for me.

NameChange30 Sun 21-Aug-16 10:22:06

I also bought "Pregnancy for Men" for my DH and we've both enjoyed reading it!

Showgirl109 Sun 21-Aug-16 10:31:19

Pregnancy day by day, my DH and I read each page to each other every night before bed. I think it helped him feel connected and it was a lovely thing to do. Also it was amazing to know how big the baby was and about all of the development as it happened.

countingcrows Mon 22-Aug-16 15:53:38

Hi Mushroomtree,
Congratulations!!
I am a pregnancy yoga teacher and we constantly talk about various approaches to managing pregnancy and childbirth in my classes. To help my students I have put together this list which includes books that profoundly changed the way I approached my pregnancy and childbirth.
mummyyoga.com/useful-external-links/
Hope you will find some inspiration in the list. Happy to point you towards tons of other resources as well. Just shout. xx

Kiwi32 Mon 22-Aug-16 16:00:55

Congratulations! I would second 'Expecting Better' by Emily Oster, I found it really useful.

If you're interested in exploring natural childbirth Michel Odent and Ina May are worth looking at. All available on Amazon.

rachael12345 Mon 22-Aug-16 21:36:12

Expecting better by Emily oster - definitely. Don't touch the 'what to expect' series you will be scared.
Read la leche league womanly art if breastfeeding- an absolute treasure, I have read and read and read it.
The rough guide to pregnancy was hilarious ( but also useful and quick read for DH) and lived in our loo ( where you will spend a lot if time towards the end!!
You will need a baby book as tbh I'm amazing all the antenatal etcetera is so geared to just the birth which is over in a day or two. Most baby guides freaked me out as my baby didn't seem to fit their mould eg bedtime routine etc. The sears baby book has been my other bible as it is constantly reassuring and friendly and says not to panic about every little thing. Nice preg section as well.
Congratulations it wonderful having a kiddo smile

MushroomTree Wed 24-Aug-16 11:46:51

Thanks everyone. I've gone for What to Expect and I'm going to order a few more from Amazon.

Has anyone read The Unmummy Mum? It looked quite amusing and I think I'll need some light relief as time moves on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now