Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

DD1 LONG labour distraction needed & advice re UCLH policy

(22 Posts)
chattygranny Sat 20-Aug-16 11:52:15

This is how expectant fathers must have felt in the old days, except I'm sober. DD1 has been in labour since late Thurs night when waters broke just before midnight: DC1. Don't know what to do with myself. We live a long way away so travelled to London yesterday (needed to be on same
landmass!) and "slept" at DD3 nearish. Of course didn't sleep! Came to UCLH this morning and been sitting in coffee shop ever since. Can't read book can't concentrate! Her OH knows I'm here, I just said shout if you need any errands run or anything. I don't want to barge in just want to be on call. Was 7/8 cm a couple of hours ago. DD I stayed with is a paed nurse at another London hospital. She's working all day today 7.15am-8.15pm and same tomorrow does anyone have experience of how flexible they are in EGA unit? Given the reason (and her job) might they let her in once baby born outside visiting hours? I'm guessing will depend on whether sister in charge is amenable../ busyness. Final question: new Mums: What can I buy DD for her? I'd like something for the bath which is soothing and healing but allowed and special and I know there are rules about everything today. In my day it was salt baths which bloody stung the stitches but did work I guess. I'm hoping there's something lovelier nowadays! It's been a good distraction typing this anyway and has passed some more minutes! OH is on way so I won't be alone too much longer...

CestTout Sat 20-Aug-16 12:27:17

How exciting for you! Hoping you have some news soon

KateTheShrew Sat 20-Aug-16 14:37:49

That is exciting, I'm not surprised you feel a bit twitchy. Hopefully if she was 7-8 cm a couple of hours ago the baby will be here soon.

I can't help with UCLH policy on visitors, I'm afraid, but after I had my DS, a friend brought me round a goody bag including a new mum soothing bath soak - think it might have been this one:

www.boots.com/en/Mum-and-Me-New-Mum-Bath-Soak-300ml_1264474/?cm_mmc=bmm-_-google-_-PLAs-_-Boots%20Shopping%20-%20Category%20-%20Health%20and%20Pharmacy

It's a cheap one, and I'm sure you could find something similar but a bit more special if you wanted, but it was really, really soothing on the stitches, and didn't sting at all.

Good luck! Hope you're holding the grandbaby very soon smile

TheLegendOfBeans Sat 20-Aug-16 14:46:24

Present ideas:

Nice robe? M&S have an amazing sale on right now if you want to shoot up to Camden on the 29 bus.

Instead of bath bubbles get a nice shower gel. Safer, an episiotomy/c section = no baths for ages.

May I also recommend some plain babygros in NEWBORN size; my baby was a big one but we still needed to rush out and get newborn sized ones. Everyone buys them too big!

Re: UCL's admissions policy after hours, maybe you can get your other daughter to ring the ward "Hi this is XXX calling, I work at XXX hospital but I don't finish shift until XXX time; may I pop in after?" Perhaps the NHS worker cameraderie may kick in and she's allowed to sneak in. But ask the daughter that's in labour if she's cool with it first!

If your daughters induction is anything like mine (100hrs) you have loads of time to get on the bus to Camden and mooch round M&S. You can get the bus across the road from the Sainsburys round the corner.

All the best xx

EreniTheFrog Sat 20-Aug-16 16:36:55

How exciting for you! Any news yet?

If I were your DD, I'd want a takeaway latte from your coffee shop. After both of mine were born, I really wanted coffee!

Londonbum Sat 20-Aug-16 16:47:11

Ive had two babies at UCLH and I think they might be kind about visitors though obviously not certain. Certainly both times I've been in postnatal everyone has seemed to have had millions of visitors! When DC2 was born DH ran over the road to McDonalds and brought me a quarter pounder cheeseburger meal grin You could also pop to Kamps on Tottenham Court Road (just round the corner) for some of their lush pastries or cheesecake which are extremely nice and you'll still only be 2 minutes from EGA. I feel really excited for you - my mum and dad are also on a different land mass and it's really hard going sometimes, especially with babies so it's lush that you're there. Hope you're cuddling a lovely baby soon!

Londonbum Sat 20-Aug-16 16:49:01

Oh plus also there's sainsburys and boots on tot court road in case they need anything and a primark down at the bottom in case of emergency baby clothes requirements!

skatesection Sat 20-Aug-16 17:23:22

Lavender oil for the bath?

chattygranny Sat 20-Aug-16 17:51:47

Thank you all! Baby girl (DGD!) born just before lunch. A week early and 6lbs 9ozs. All well and beautiful and healthy. Thank you so much, I will be reading all the comments this evening. Just been summoned back so may get a sneaky cuddle - have already smelled her head! Just the best smell in the whole world! Thank you!

chattygranny Sat 20-Aug-16 17:52:28

Yes I wondered about lavender oil as it's healing. Will ask if it's allowed.

chattygranny Sat 20-Aug-16 17:54:02

Good news about DD3 she has been allowed to go early as they are (most unusually) quiet tonight so she is on her way. Good idea about calling though! Thanks

QforCucumber Sat 20-Aug-16 17:56:25

Congratulations granny!
Bask in every moment, I had my 1st ds 5 months ago and tea tree oil and lavender oil in the bath worked wonders on helping soothe the episiotomy and relaxing me too.

EreniTheFrog Sat 20-Aug-16 18:10:48

Congratulations!!!

Dozer Sat 20-Aug-16 18:12:08

How is your DD?

Pixie2015 Sat 20-Aug-16 18:41:11

T tree oil for the bath is lovely x

Londonbum Sat 20-Aug-16 20:08:29

Yay huge congratulations smile I agree lavender oil in bath (or I like you also did salt baths post epis and tears and thought it was great). Luuuuush new baby loveliness smilesmilesmile

chattygranny Sat 20-Aug-16 22:40:13

Mother and baby both doing well, we went in tonight for more gorgeous cuddles. Such precious moments. Off to buy lavender and tea tree oil in the morning! Thanks for all the info' and suggestions.

NonnoMum Sat 20-Aug-16 22:42:41

Oh, and get some extra maternity pads. her DP won't have bought enough...
(down to earth voice of reason...)

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!! flowers

chattygranny Sun 21-Aug-16 06:42:53

😊 thanks Nonno!

chattygranny Sun 21-Aug-16 06:47:51

TheLegend seriously, she mightn't be allowed to bath? She did have stitches. At St Thomas' 1981 we had enforced salt baths all the new mothers in a row with a cuts in between each bath, it was Victorian! So is this general NHS policy or varies hospital to hospital?

chattygranny Sun 21-Aug-16 06:57:33

It was THAT Victorian! Cuts=Curtains!

chattygranny Sun 21-Aug-16 06:58:03

Wasn't! God - Granny brain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now