Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sleepyhead Grand Pod

(22 Posts)
leoniethelioness Thu 18-Aug-16 17:06:42

Can I use one of these (the large size) safely from birth? I'm worried that the 0-8 size won't last long as it looks very small.

Littleelffriend Thu 18-Aug-16 17:08:29

I'm not sure but we have the small one and had a preemie and there's no way it's going to last until 8 months.

plimsolls Thu 18-Aug-16 17:08:36

I suppose -regardless of safety- the issue would be if there's any point using the big size from birth? The reason for using a sleepyhead, as far as I can tell, is to help the baby feel more enclosed so buying -
big one to grow in to kind of defeats the purpose...

Would depend on the size of your baby perhaps.

welshweasel Thu 18-Aug-16 17:09:05

You could, but it would kind of defeat the point of it making your baby feel nice and secure. And the smaller one is fab for moving around the house and taking away with you for the first few months.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 18-Aug-16 17:09:27

I got the big one for DD whwb she was 3 months and she was lovely and snug smile

welshweasel Thu 18-Aug-16 17:10:24

DS was 5 weeks early and 5lb 9oz, it lasted him until he was just over 4 months before he was uncomfortable in it. I have no idea how anyone manages to use it for 8 months! That said, it was worth every penny.

iamtheurbanspacemanbaby Thu 18-Aug-16 17:11:45

I wouldn't. I was going to put my 5.5 month straight into one, I asked sleepyhead and this is what they said.

Thank you for your message.

Please note that we do not recommend the GRAND for babies younger than 8 months due to the taller and softer sides (bumper) as compared to the DELUXE. A 8 month old baby is more physically able to raise its head above the soft bumper. Having said this, the GRAND is just as safe as the DELUXE when it comes to air-permeability.

He is 99.3rd centile height and stayed in his normal sleepyhead till 9 months. It would last a smaller baby well past 8 months.

iamtheurbanspacemanbaby Thu 18-Aug-16 17:12:21

You can Unclip the bottom which gives you more length.

leoniethelioness Thu 18-Aug-16 17:12:22

How long would the smaller size pod last? I'm measuring big and expecting DS to be at least 8-9 lbs at birth.

Dixiechick17 Thu 18-Aug-16 18:37:53

My DD was 7lbs 10 at birth and chunked out as she got older. We stopped using it just before six months and bought the grande pod when she was 7 months as she didn't settle well just in the cot. I have recently sold the first size sleepyhead for 77 pounds on eBay Inc postage, so after fees I have made back more than half what I paid for it. So for me it was worth it as my DD slept so well in it.

Kpo58 Fri 19-Aug-16 08:40:22

My DD was 4.5 pounds when born (1 month early). She used the sleepyhead deluxe up to 3.5 months (she now likes to spread out when asleep).

The question that you should be asking yourself is: How much do I value my sleep and the ability not to have to hold my baby all day everyday?

For me it was worth every penny and meant that I could move her around the house without waking her. It was also useful when visiting other peoples houses as it was an instant bed.

stripeylegs Fri 19-Aug-16 08:47:58

We have the regular one and I've already had to unclip the bottom for my (big)11 week old. They need the snugness around the head and body so the bottom being undone doesn't really matter. I looked at the grand one and its huge in comparison. Also depends what baby will be sleeping in. Ours takes up the snooze pod with about 3 inches height to spare.

malvinandhobbes Fri 19-Aug-16 11:50:02

My two+ week old slept six hours straight last night in her deluxe. This smashes all family baby sleep records by more than 100%. It is my new favourite object. I would trade my iPhone and dishwasher for the sleepyhead. It is that great.

(maybe she'd be a good sleeper anyway, but hates the moses basket and will not tolerate the pram so I doubt it)

twoundertwowillbefun Fri 19-Aug-16 22:50:10

Those with a sleepyhead already, is there a 'solid base' of sorts in it? I got a second hand one and it's just floppy foam mattress in the base bit...I was sure one I saw before was more structured!

Bobbycatz Sat 20-Aug-16 06:38:57

twounder my sleepyhead came with a cardboard insert in the bottom which made it feel more structured but it has a sign on it saying remove before use.

Wineandchoccy Sat 20-Aug-16 07:18:28

My daughter was 7lb 12oz and 75th for height and was in the sleepyhead deluxe until she was 9 months old and she is now in the Grand version at 16 months old with loads of room. They are the best invention ever smile

Twounder the cardboard insert needs removing before use

confusedlilly Sat 20-Aug-16 07:27:28

I have the sleepyhead deluxe and my ds is a big baby born 10lb 13oz. He is now 20 weeks old and 18lb. He is still in the deluxe as he likes being snug . However I have purchased the grande but it's too big for his next to me crib so I'm holding off putting him in it until he is ready to go in his own room. He still seems really comfy in the deluxe X

divadee Sat 20-Aug-16 08:15:55

To those who have used the sleepyheads before...... We have a cot already (kept from 1st daughter who's now 18!!) and instead of having a Moses basket or crib can we just put baby straight into the normal size cot with the sleepyhead? The cot can fit in our bedroom so wouldn't be in a room by themselves.

bobcat85 Sat 20-Aug-16 08:18:33

There are cheaper pods available so it's worth considering them as they do exactly the same thing.

Kpo58 Sat 20-Aug-16 08:40:36

There are cheaper pods available, but I think that the others say that you can't leave your baby unattended in them.

Fluffsnuts Sat 20-Aug-16 08:52:19

Bobcat- the sleepyhead is the only one safety tested for overnight sleeping.

My 7.5mo is still in the deluxe. We've just bought the grand and its massive. The point of them is to be snug around the upper body. The bottom unclips to give extra length.

A tip- put a Moses basket/ crib sheet over the sleepyhead, stops the need to buy a second cover.

As they are machine washable, it's ok to buy second hand too and then you can recoup your money as well.

Dixiechick17 Sat 20-Aug-16 22:31:24

divider yes, I know a few that have just gone straight to cot and had the cot in the room, sleepyhead will make it feel nice and snug smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now