Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Counting kicks

(20 Posts)
Kione Thu 18-Aug-16 16:29:59

The midwife gave me a leaflet on counting kicks at my 20 week scan.
It had an app to download which I did.
A couple of days baby kicked 30 or 40 times.
Yesterday only about 25 and today 6! I am filled with anxiety lying in my bed crying and baby is not kicking.
Should I call the doctor? I don't want to be over sensitive but I had a miscarriage in January and this pregnancy has been just a bunch of weeks filled with anxiety.
I am scared.

Ginslinger Thu 18-Aug-16 16:32:36

have a very cold drink and see what happens - if you don't feel anything then call your midwife or GP. It's entirely possible that the baby is lying awkwardly and you're not feeling the kicks but you do need to check it.

Laststop Thu 18-Aug-16 16:34:36

Just give them a ring , best to get checked rather than leave it

melibu84 Thu 18-Aug-16 16:37:48

You should feel at least 10 movements in a day, is what I was told.

If you haven't felt the little one in a while, have a cold drink and lie on your left side. wait an hour. if you don't feel anything, then call the midwife. Chances are, your baby is fine, but you might not notice a pattern to their movements yet if you're only 20 weeks along.

Kione Thu 18-Aug-16 16:38:01

Thanks for replying so quick.
I'll try the cold drink and if nothing happens I'll call them.
Thanks.

MadeForThis Thu 18-Aug-16 16:47:19

Check out the kicks count website. It's great support/info.

Main message is that every baby is different. No set number of movements is correct. Get to know your baby's movements and if anything changes get it checked. More or less can be a change.

20 weeks is very early for a pattern but if you are ever concerned ALWAYS call the midwife. They are usually amazing and will get you checked out if it's needed.

Never worry about making that call. If in doubt call.

ThinkPinkStink Thu 18-Aug-16 16:47:27

Everything is probably absolutely fine...my 'passenger' has busy days when she seems to be playing volleyball in there, and quiet days (when I presume she's having good old grow).

BUT - always, always, always talk to your midwife, every piece of literature I've read about movements says that if you feel decreased movement: "don't wait a day, just call".

So: have a cold drink, lie down, and if you're not wholly reassured, call the midwife, they'll likely ask you to come down to the walk in centre where they listen-in with the doppler to hear the foetal heartbeat to ensure it's nice and steady.

leoniethelioness Thu 18-Aug-16 16:48:37

You need to work out what is normal for you and ring if there's any change.

For what it's worth, I didn't feel anything at all at 20 weeks and I don't think I feel 20 movements a day even now at 34. I do have an anterior placenta. What's normal for me will not be what is normal for you so you must ring in with any concerns. You won't be time wasting and you will be taken seriously.

coragreta Thu 18-Aug-16 16:50:27

This is what I read and understand from the count the kicks website.
Count your kicks at roughly the same time each day. Choose a time when your baby is normally active. Lie down and count the kicks for one hour or until you reach 10. If you don't reach 10 have a cold drink, a sugary snack (a biscuit) and a short walk around the room. Then lie down for another hour to count. If you don't count 10 in the second hour call your midwife.
Hope that helps.

Kione Thu 18-Aug-16 17:21:13

It worked! Had a cold drink, lied on my left and I had 3 kicks. It is a relief! But still feel worried that it has slowed down from previous days.
And it stopped after 3 kicks.
We don't have a walk in centre here, I'd have to go to hospital.

Kione Thu 18-Aug-16 17:32:10

Coragreta, only one day I had 10 kicks in an hour! The others are spread through the day, never more than 3 in a row.
I still don't know if I should call the midwifes as I had 3 kicks now?
I am so sad am not enjoying this pregnancy one bit sad

Kione Thu 18-Aug-16 17:56:41

He is kicking away now... Phew...
Thanks a lot for all the posts!!
I know now if I am in doubt again I'll call immediatelly.

Alicekeach Thu 18-Aug-16 17:58:31

I'm 20 weeks and haven't felt anything yet!

Minispringroll Thu 18-Aug-16 18:49:26

I'm 23+4 now and have been able to feel him kick since shortly before 18 weeks. He's got quiet days, especially when it's warmer, and that really worried me to begin with. It just seems normal for him, though. Cold drink and me cooling down usually helps.
20 weeks is still early. I'm only just starting to get some sort of pattern.

Kione Thu 18-Aug-16 19:04:38

I know it is early and many mums dont feel them yet but as I went to 36 and 45 or so on two days the sudden decrease worried me.
Its reassuring to know they have quiet days.
I only started counting cos the midwife gave me the leaflet. I never did with my first and I think I am deleting the apo!

Kione Thu 18-Aug-16 19:05:21

App!

Ginslinger Fri 19-Aug-16 10:45:15

I'm glad everything's okay. It's really difficult to be specific about these things because everyone is di fferent but it is wise to be aware of kicks/lack of kicks and do what you've done this time.

carmelsundae Fri 19-Aug-16 15:35:43

I was given that leaflet too at 20 weeks, but was told that the baby wouldn't settle into a normal routine until approx 28 weeks and although to be aware, not to be overly worried until then! Was also told not to worry too much about the number of kicks, but the routine of the kicks as each baby is different! I'm now 35 weeks, and have an anterior placenta so still don't feel too much mmovment. It's worrying at times, but don't let it ruin your pregnancy!

Becciilouisex3 Fri 19-Aug-16 20:57:10

If you're ever worried then go in, they won't blame you! I will say though, my midwife told me to expect a pattern of kicks from 22 weeks however, baby only established a pattern when I reached 30 weeks (2 weeks ago).

Of course baby should be moving but they do terrify you by giving you all of these timelines when in fact every pregnancy is different. I'm sure your little one is more than okay but as I say, if you're ever in doubt, go in and get checked for your peace of mind smile

Kione Sun 21-Aug-16 09:30:33

I went on Friday as I woke up as I could not stop crying and I had to take DD to Holiday Club and then go to work. I managed taking her to HC then broke down in the car and called the hospital. I am well aware 90% if it is anxiety probably due to the miscarriage I had in January.
Anyway, went up in a right stare, went to the wrong ward and couldn't even tell them why was I there, but when I got to the midwifes she was lovely. Listened to the heart beat reassured me abd gave me a hug. She said I should feel about 10 movements a day, no pattern yet. She sais same as you ladies, if I haven't felt anything, drink a cold drink and lie down, if still nothing, to call them and go up.
Guess what, movements all weekend after that. Typical.
But its good to know to know what to do and your advice was spot on!
flowersflowersflowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now