Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Excuses to leave work for scan

(53 Posts)
UnicornPee Thu 18-Aug-16 09:22:35

Please help with an excuse of why I will need to leave work for 2 hours for my scan.
(Yes I know it's ridiculous I will need an excuse but I work with a lot of women who may guess and I won't be telling anyone until I am 16 weeks)
It's going to be a busy day at work that's so that's why a good excuse is needed.
Thanks in advance!! xx

TipBoov Thu 18-Aug-16 09:23:15

Dentist appt?

TheSpottedZebra Thu 18-Aug-16 09:24:07

Smear test

peaceloveandtwirlywoos Thu 18-Aug-16 09:24:25

Hospital appointment, doctors appointment, dentist appointment, vets appointment. Whatever is most appropriate.

UnicornPee Thu 18-Aug-16 09:25:03

Smear test is good but my doctors is round the corner and everyone knows it- so would only take 30 mins tops.
Hospital is quite a trek.

Can't use dentist excuse

Tinofsardines Thu 18-Aug-16 09:25:48

Emergency dental appointment? Our surgery have a sit and wait clinic so the waiting + filling(?) or whatever makes a believable absence!

Just leave and say your not sure how long it'll take but you'll be back as soon as you can!!

Congratulations on the pregnancy flowers

UnicornPee Thu 18-Aug-16 09:25:53

If I say hostpital app they will guess (or I am paranoid) they may ask "everything ok?" And my face is a bad liar

Tinofsardines Thu 18-Aug-16 09:26:12

Cross post!!

UnicornPee Thu 18-Aug-16 09:26:26

Thank you sardines xx

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 18-Aug-16 09:26:27

boil on your bum

Snowberry86 Thu 18-Aug-16 09:26:50

Pretend you have thrown up in toilets and feel too ill to stay in work.

peaceloveandtwirlywoos Thu 18-Aug-16 09:27:25

Book AL for half a day.

UnicornPee Thu 18-Aug-16 09:28:34

Boil on my bum haha! Maybe not smile
Can't say sickness they will guess.
Two other girls have announced pregnancies in last two months at work so I need something not obvious.

MrsGsnow18 Thu 18-Aug-16 09:28:57

I'd try not to give specifics as then you are actually lying to people.
However there are others you could use like
Physio
Chiropodist
Dental hygienst
Solicitor/bank appointment

UnicornPee Thu 18-Aug-16 09:29:02

Can't book AL as they will say no- it's going to be a busy day that day at work. sad

UnicornPee Thu 18-Aug-16 09:29:47

Ooh bank app could work.

LondonRoo Thu 18-Aug-16 09:30:56

Hospital appointment - vague and not untrue...

GinIsIn Thu 18-Aug-16 09:31:27

- Funeral
- X-ray
- witnessed a crime and need to be interviewed by the police

GinIsIn Thu 18-Aug-16 09:32:10

My friend works in HR & these are the best excuses she said she had had - I asked her when I was in your position smile

Gobbolinothewitchscat Thu 18-Aug-16 09:32:52

You don't have to say the exact reason you are going confused

Just say: "I have a medical appointment". If they ask if all is OK (bit intrusive as employees shouldn't be prompted to discuss any medical issues if they are only going for an appointment and there is not a history of absence/concern about possible disability. Even at that, it should be done by a manager/HR and confidentially), just say "Yes, thank you" and change the subject.

Honestly - it will be fine.

GinIsIn Thu 18-Aug-16 09:33:30

Don't say hospital appointment - I did and they all guessed! The ones I listed were actually the ones my friend came up with as 'would have been a better excuse' smile

Aworldofmyown Thu 18-Aug-16 09:35:09

If they are busy then I don't think a bank app is going to be a good excuse.

Tbh in this case I would probably ring in sick. They're not going to assume pregnancy if you have vomiting and diarrhoea.

UnicornPee Thu 18-Aug-16 09:40:44

Thank you all.
They may be intrusive because we are all friendly and jokey with each other so they will feel comfortable to ask me.
But I'm not friendly enough with them to want them to know I'm pregnant before 16 weeks.

SquedgieBeckenheim Thu 18-Aug-16 09:51:16

I'd say hospital appointment, or have to accompany a family member to a hospital appointment. Then you aren't outright lieing, but can be suitably vague.

wobblywonderwoman Thu 18-Aug-16 09:54:57

I would said out had a very bad upset stomach

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now