We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weekly scan with twins. One baby is smaller

(11 Posts)
Racheldawn Wed 17-Aug-16 19:35:03

Hi. I've been for my 26 week scan today I'm currently 26 weeks 4 days
The doctor called me in after my scan to say that they are changing my scans from every 4 weeks to every week because one baby is smaller than the other by an ounce. Has anyone else had any experience with this ? I feel like everything is going to be fine because one baby has always been smaller.. But I'm just looking for advice and past experience.

Thanks smile

April241 Wed 17-Aug-16 20:19:29

I had my 28 week scan and both babies were 2lb 4oz, had my 30 week scan today and one baby is 3lb 1oz and the other is 2lb 14oz. Consultant isn't worried at all.

What type of twins are you having? Mine are DCDA and I've been getting fortnighty scans since 26 weeks so seems to be the norm here smile

Congratulations!

joleyn Wed 17-Aug-16 20:30:03

I had for nightly scans for dcda twins. One was always smaller than other by about half a pound. At birth he was 7ozs smaller. My consultant always said it's about rate of growth so mine were each following their same line all the way through and their weights weren't getting farther apart which is when they would have worried.

Racheldawn Wed 17-Aug-16 20:54:36

Thanks ladies! Feel so much better I don't feel concerned At all I'm sure everything will be fine. I'm also having DCDA Twins. smile

Cherylene Wed 17-Aug-16 21:01:23

Mine were 2 days apart at the 15 wk scan and 2 weeks at the end. One was 6lb 3oz, and one 4lb 10oz.

I had more frequent scans - every time I went up to the hospital. They said it was to keep an eye on them so that if one was growing at the expense of the other, they could deliver them when they thought it was better for them to outside, rather than in.

They were fine, arrived 35wks and 4 days on their own, and spent 15 days in SCBU as they did not suck well grin

elvesareneverhappy Wed 17-Aug-16 21:05:48

There was more than an ounce between my DCDA twins. My consultant changed my scans from every 4 weeks to fortnightly for a few weeks but it was only to make sure that they both grew. When they were both at 38 weeks twin 1 was 6lbs 14 and twin 2 was 6lbs 3. Eight months later he still weighs 2 pounds more than her but they are both in the 75th percentile. So don't worry!!!

usernoidea Wed 17-Aug-16 21:07:05

My sister had fortnightly scans with her twins last year - her daughter was always on the 5 th percentile the whole way through , her son "average"
Both were born 6lb 2 oz and 6lb 8oz at 38 weeks x

Racheldawn Wed 17-Aug-16 21:18:38

Maybe they just have to do weekly scans on me to make sure everything's ok. I just don't understand why an ounce difference would make them want me to go back every week. I just hope that something isn't wrong and they haven't told me so I don't worry.

All your stories are keeping me positive though grin

What is the percentile ? Is that the growth line on the chart.

Racheldawn Wed 17-Aug-16 21:25:21

On my notes it says they are below the 10th percentile what does that mean ?

elvesareneverhappy Wed 17-Aug-16 23:00:24

That just means that if there are 100 babies, 90 would weigh more than your baby. But that is mainly relevant for singletons because it doesn't differentiate between multiple and single pregnancies. So again, don't stress. I would assume that they just want to make sure that both babies continue to grow.

Racheldawn Thu 18-Aug-16 08:33:00

Ok Thankyou. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now