Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

"It might still be twins you know"

(19 Posts)
fruityb Tue 16-Aug-16 15:08:17

No it fucking couldn't be - I am nearly full term, I have had three scans and fortnightly midwife appointments for about the last ten weeks of pregnancy as it's easier to see her then. I am carrying one baby, one!! I think they may well have spotted two by now you bunch of twats.

I am a twin and it's ALL anyone said to me till I had my first scan - my mum had 3 before she had twins. Just had someone say "well they can miss it sometimes".

Fuck the fuck off!!!

Needed somewhere to vent and chose here - thank you for reading if you did lol.

Marshpillow Tue 16-Aug-16 16:43:30

Next time could you say, "SHIT!! Do you think?! Despite having x many scans they must have missed it!" and pretend to panic.

mellysam Tue 16-Aug-16 16:51:22

grin rant away, people are twats

Freshprincess Tue 16-Aug-16 16:56:20

I have twins, people used to say 'what if there's three, lol'. I had fortnight scans from 20 weeks! They would have known. Mind you I looked like I was carrying 12 hmm

Maybe in the old days before scans they would miss them but not anymore.

Whatsername17 Tue 16-Aug-16 17:09:32

Please, next time tell whomever starts talking shit like that 'it is, there are two in there, we've just decided to keep the cutest one and give the other one away.' Then walk away. grin
My mil and my mother think that it is their job in life to advise me of all of the names that they like at all times. I have had texts, phone calls and face to face lectures on names. We have said, specifically, that we do not want to discuss names because when I was having DD they were so judgemental about every name we liked it caused us extra stress. Plus we know the sex this time so I want to keep something to ourselves. We set them both up by telling DD that she was allowed to lie to nanny and grandma and tell them that we had picked a name, but she wasn't allowed to say what it was, before eventually telling them. She told my mum we are calling the baby Rosie-Jo and told MIL that we had chosen the name Clementine. Both of them fell for it hook, line and sinker. We pretended to be suitably annoyed that DD had 'told' them and DD put in an Oscar worth performance of 'I'm sorry mummy, I didn't know that I shouldn't tell nanny/grandma' leading to them feeling very guilty about badgering a 5 year old to find out the 'secret'. Winding them both up has been the highlight of my pregnancy so far. Especially as they both hate the names and they are trying desperately not to say anything negative after we told them both that we wouldn't share names because of how negative they were last time.

fruityb Tue 16-Aug-16 17:10:12

It's as if one is magically going to appear all of a sudden when I give birth! I am sick to death of it, and it's my brother who keeps saying it as he thinks he's being really funny all the time.

When he comes to see new baby I swear to god I will kill him if he says "where's the other one then?" It drives me up the wall how funny he thinks he is and how little tolerance I have had for him while I've been pregnant. He'll make the same joke over and over till someone laughs, or someone else comes in the room who didn't hear it first time.

I took to just saying "call me a fat cow why don't you" to people who kept asking if there was only one. And it's always by people who haven't had kids so they have no idea what size people generally get.

Gah!!

fruityb Tue 16-Aug-16 17:11:40

whatshername that's utter genius!!

MrsJoeyMaynard Tue 16-Aug-16 17:13:35

It'd be one heck of an oversight if there really was twins in there.

SpaceDinosaur Tue 16-Aug-16 17:20:01

"That's a big bump"
"I'm pregnant, what's your excuse"

That shuts people RIGHT up!!! grin

My dad thinks "it could be twins" "what if they've missed one" is hilarious. I will absolutely be borrowing "if it is we'll keep the cute one and give the spare away"

Nottalotta Tue 16-Aug-16 17:25:14

I had this ALL the fecking time in my last pregnancy, particularly one colleagues mentioned my monstrous size several times a day. I wasn't that big, not tiny ny any means bit not huge. Made all the worse by her being massively overweight, so that when she was pregnant, you couldn't tell at all. Even at the end. But obviously to mention that would be rude......

fruityb Tue 16-Aug-16 17:26:49

That's it it'd be so rude to say anything about a persons size but for some reason being pregnant means people can look at you and say these things!

It's like the amount of people who said "ooh you won't meet your due date will you?" Oh yeah? I'm within five days of if so up yours!!

FatimaLovesBread Tue 16-Aug-16 17:28:26

Oh god, I got this all the time.
That's despite it being an ivf pregnancy where I'd had one 6 day embryo put back in and then had scans at 7, 9, 12, 20, 28, 34 and 38 weeks

MummyBtothree Tue 16-Aug-16 17:30:53

My friend had twins and it didn't show up on the scan. One must have been hiding exactly behind the other. It wasn't until she'd delivered her baby when she got the overwhelming urge to push again and out came another baby!. Her husband fainted with shock lol.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 16-Aug-16 17:32:38

My grandmother did this throughout my pregnancy. Despite me carrying small hmm

It is very irritating.

fruityb Tue 16-Aug-16 17:33:48

Sweet Jesus!! Well the amount of moving around I had to do to get the correct scan images would have shown up something I'm sure.

I just want to slap my brother every time he says it. It wasn't funny then it's still not funny now!

Borogoves Tue 16-Aug-16 17:37:49

It happened to my neighbour! Granted it was 30 years ago so scams weren't as clear but she was under a consultant as it was a high risk pregnancy so was seen once a week either by a midwife or her consultant. She delivered her baby and then to everyone's surprise they realised there was a second one in there! No one had realised!

Kidneybean2016 Tue 16-Aug-16 18:57:43

People just think they can say things like that and not be accountable. It really really annoys me! I would maybes say,"Well it's a possibility. Hope you've bought extra presents!" with a serious expression and see how they react xx

Iwantagoonthetrampoline Tue 16-Aug-16 21:51:36

We did not tell anyone I was pregnant until we knew whether was twins or not. We paid for an early scan to find out. I could not be doing with people winding me up when I was going crazy not knowing myself. I thought that would draw a line under it. Oh how wrong! Three more scans later and I'm fed up with still hearing "are you sure there's only one in there". Arrrr!

Spotsondots Thu 25-Aug-16 20:57:38

Oh yes. Random strangers in the street used to ask me if I was sure it wasn't twins angrypeople are idiots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now