Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Glucose intolerance test-out of normal range?!

(28 Posts)
pitstop16 Tue 16-Aug-16 13:19:52

Hi, I had the diabetes/glucose intolerance test last week and I've just called my doctors surgery to ask about the results; the receptionist looked at my notes and said I was 'just out of normal range'. She said if there was a problem someone would have rang me...surely that's not a good thing and I should now be monitored/checked again?! Has anyone else experienced something similar?

BTW I'm 28 weeks pregnant, second pregnancy and 35 years old x

SockQueen Tue 16-Aug-16 18:16:44

This is why receptionists shouldn't give out information over the phone - they're not trained to do it and you're not trained to receive it. Call your midwife and ask them to clarify.

PeppaPigStinks Tue 16-Aug-16 21:50:00

I've not had similar but I do have gestational diabetes - I would be pushing to be seen by the team.

I was just over!

You could offer to monitor your levels for a week -that should help them see either way.

pitstop16 Tue 16-Aug-16 21:54:50

Thanks for the helpful advice SockQueen! Obviously we are not trained, I just came on here to see if anyone else had experienced similar so that I could decide what to do next!

Thanks PeppaPigStinks, it just didn't sound right that I'm 'just out of normal range' but nothing would be done about it! Since spoken to my friend who is a GP and she said usually those results are checked by a doctor and then actioned, so maybe the results had only just come in and not been looked at by anyone hmm

Bellabelloo Tue 16-Aug-16 23:06:14

Do you know what your results were? My GP told me mine and said they were borderline normal, but I then had a call from the hospital a week later saying I have GD. Mine were just a few points over.

pitstop16 Tue 16-Aug-16 23:11:47

No, don't know what exact results were but am booked in to see a consultant tomorrow about other issues and she should be able to see the results on the system so hopefully she can advise me further! But thank you for your input, making me think it could be GD and I'd rather know so I can do something about it ASAP! smile

LurkyLurkerMcLurkface Tue 16-Aug-16 23:15:20

I had this. And then full blown gestational diabetes within a week.
The receptionist should not be giving out results!
Speak to midwife, at least get it repeated soon!

SockQueen Tue 16-Aug-16 23:50:48

I'm not trying to be flippant - the receptionist doesn't know what the numbers mean so saying something is "just out of normal" may or may not mean anything significant. If the reference range she has is for fasting glucose levels, and your 2hr one is "out of normal range" then that is not necessarily an issue at all, as the cutoff for that number is higher than the fasting one. I had to have two GTTs and both times was told that I would be called if I had GD, and that no news was good news, rather than having to rely on calling up someone unqualified giving information over the phone without any clue of its significance. Hence why I recommended you speak to someone actually trained in interpreting the results - glad to hear that you're seeing someone tomorrow, and hope it's all ok. Even if it does turn out to be GD, there's loads you can do and lots of resources both for diet management and medication.

Dlah Wed 17-Aug-16 08:19:56

She might mean you're just out of normal every day range but being pregnant it's fine. Mine came back 6.8 - which my midwife explained would be high normally but fine for a pregnant lady

Stretchedfortime Wed 17-Aug-16 08:22:59

Might be worthy posting this in the Facebook group called Gestational Diabetes UK Mums. You have to request to join but there are some amazingly experienced people on there. Good luck.

Bellabelloo Wed 17-Aug-16 08:25:28

Dlah, it's the opposite. Mine would be fine if I wasn't pregnant but as I am pregnant it is actually GD. My fasting was 5.3 and my 2 hour glucose reading was 8.1. Normally that would be classified as pre-diabetes, but as I am pregnant the figures indicate gestational diabetes. If your 2 hour post glucose reading was 6.8 that's great as is under 7, so all is good!

Bellabelloo Wed 17-Aug-16 08:26:00

Dlah, it's the opposite. Mine would be fine if I wasn't pregnant but as I am pregnant it is actually GD. My fasting was 5.3 and my 2 hour glucose reading was 8.1. Normally that would be classified as pre-diabetes, but as I am pregnant the figures indicate gestational diabetes. If your 2 hour post glucose reading was 6.8 that's great as is under 7, so all is good!

pitstop16 Wed 17-Aug-16 12:56:35

Thank you everyone for taking time to respond smile

After seeing the consultant today I'm now to monitor my levels 4 times a day for the next 2 weeks and see where we are then!

So not full blown GD yet and hopefully can ward it off with my diet etc! hmm

Bellabelloo Wed 17-Aug-16 13:30:39

I'm doing the same. It's quite interesting. I used to eat loads of fruit but it sends my blood glucose through the roof!

PeppaPigStinks Wed 17-Aug-16 14:05:02

That's good pit stop. Having had a previous large baby- most likely due to un detected gd I would definitely err on the side of caution!

SockQueen Wed 17-Aug-16 16:45:37

Good news pitstop, hope your levels behave themselves!

I found www.gestationaldiabetes.co.uk very helpful for diet info, though you have to pay to get to a lot of the recipes/meal plans. I believe they also have a FB group, though I haven't joined it.

pitstop16 Fri 19-Aug-16 13:21:43

Hi all again,

So 2 days in and each reading is above what it should be so far shock I purposely haven't adjusted my diet YET as I thought the purpose of the monitoring would be to see how I'm reacting to what I usually eat. So my question is; at what point would they say I have gestational diabetes? As I'm supposed to be monitoring for 2 weeks and I'm sure if I made a few changes I could bring my levels down, but I want it to be known that I do have diabetes (if I do) so that medical staff are aware for any potential future issues.

Hope this makes sense!

Bellabelloo Fri 19-Aug-16 13:38:27

What's your resting level and what's your post-eating level? X

Vap0 Fri 19-Aug-16 14:24:05

Hi

As soon as you have 1 reading over the guidelines they say you have GD. They use the wording borderline which I don't think does anyone any favours, they told me I was borderline which left me in denial, it's better to adjust your diet now as it gets harder to control blood sugar between weeks 32-36. Do join the Gestational Diabetes UK Mums Facebook group, it is excellent for dietary advice and lots of moral support from ladies going through the same thing. The diet advice from hospitals is not great and the quicker you can get your levels under control the better for baby. If I had followed the advice from the hospital I think I would have been medicated far more than I am (on 1 metformin with dinner). Luckily, following the advice from the Facebook group I've only had 1 high after meal reading (<7.8 1 hour) and 10 high fasting readings (<5.3) fasting was my problematic one in the GTT.

Best of luck, hope you make it over to the FB group flowers

Bellabelloo Fri 19-Aug-16 14:39:42

Vap0, my hospital says over 5 for fasting is GD, but mine is usually 5.2 or 5.3. I had read online that that is OK but my hospital want to put me on metformin...

Vap0 Fri 19-Aug-16 15:20:54

Different hospitals use different levels, the ones our hospital run by are NICE guidelines. If your fasting is usually around 5.2 /5.3 it may be an idea to go on the metformin as it will get harder the further along you get. Have you tried having a high protein snack before bed? That helped me keep my levels below 5.3 until I hit 32 weeks (when things jumped and I needed metformin). I started having a handful of nuts, some people have cheese or some meat which can keep it low.

Bellabelloo Fri 19-Aug-16 15:40:57

I haven't! But will do! Thanks for the advice and help. X

Onionringo Fri 19-Aug-16 15:46:39

I was "just over" the normal range and was immediately treated as having GD both pregnancies. My normal diet sent me over the limits continuously, so I had to drastically change what I was eating. They should give you advice if they want you to change things - I saw a dietitian both times.

pitstop16 Fri 19-Aug-16 17:33:30

My resting level has been 6/6.5 and post meals 7.8 up to 9.8 shock my hospital's guidelines are fasting less than 5.5 and one hour after food less than 7.8 confused

Bellabelloo Fri 19-Aug-16 17:55:12

Then that would deffo be classified as GD, Pitstop, and I am pretty sure they will want you to be experimenting with your meals to work out what will bring your blood sugar levels down to the recommended levels rather than continuing your current diet. It's quite interesting seeing how your blood is affected. Then hopefully you will be able to control it with diet for a while rather than being put straight on drugs. My fasting level is usually 5.2/5.3 but I have managed to keep my post-meal levels to below 6.4 but I think they will put me on metformin soon...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now