Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Rats in work place - 6 months pregnant

(5 Posts)
sharon2016 Tue 16-Aug-16 11:10:38

Hi all,

I am just looking for advice/opinions - as I am not sure if I am being a pregnant over the top hormonal woman!

I work in an office in London, which has had a mice problem for a good year or two, which has now escalated to the point we seeing a couple of mice a day running across the sales floor. There are now 'rumours' around the office that in fact rats have been seen. The mice (and potential rat) is regularly seen in the kitchen. Yesterday there were lots of mice droppings across the kitchen floor. There were also droppings underneath a cupboard that I sit near.

They do have a rodent company come in each week to put out mice (not rat) traps and some poison. I think there are so many mice though its going to be hard to solve. The HR team have also sent a company wide email asking people not to leave food out as 'rodents can cause premature births, miscarriages, etc etc...'.

I am obviously getting really concerned for the health of my baby, and dont want to use any of the water, cutlery out of the kitchen.

Do I have a reason to be concerned? HR have said I will be fine if I wash my hands regularly? I have tried to push but they really arent being very proactive, other than this rodent company coming once a week putting out minimal poison and traps...and they keep telling me that mice are in normal in London office. I have worked in 5 offices in London before, and none have had mice.

I just dont know whether to be REALLY concerned or not..

Thanks x

PeachBellini123 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:47:53

Every office I've worked in has had a mouse problem in London! I work in central London and we have a mouse issue in my office...didn't occur to me to be more worried because I'm pregnant...

It has to be fresh poo you ingest to do any harm. I think you'll be fine unless you leave your lunch out for some time. And rats tend to be huge you wouldn't miss them.

HughLauriesStubble Tue 16-Aug-16 21:20:31

No no no OP. Rats and anything they come into contact with are a risk to pregnant women. It's up to your hr to ensure that your work environment is safe for you during pregnancy and I would be asking them to address the problem immediately. The risk from rats isn't just from their feces, you can also catch infections from their blood, saliva and urine and as they are incontinent, they leave urine wherever they go.

Having said that, are you sure the rat story isn't just an urban legend? Has anyone you know seen one first hand?

cyclinggirl22 Tue 16-Aug-16 22:25:14

If it's any help they say where there are nice you won't find rats they don't tend to co-habit. Rat urine is the problem but should be fairly easily controlled with poison and traps. I work in agriculture so we clear traps daily and regularly have 20-30 trapped a day if there is a real problem a rat man once a week won't cut it they need to be done daily. It's your HR departments responsibility to keep you safe

Hyland Wed 17-Aug-16 09:14:57

Wipe down your desk and keyboard/mouse every morning.

I certainly would.

If you take to work a packet of crisp or something, make sure you wash your hands before you start eating to be on the safe side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now