Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

28 week midwife appointment (Glasgow)

(6 Posts)
BelliniButterfly Mon 15-Aug-16 20:42:25

Can anyone give me an idea of what happens at this appointment or is it just the usual blood pressure, checking urine etc?

I lost just over 7 stone prior to falling pregnant and have continued healthy eating and exercise throughout. As a result I've lost just under another stone and a half while pregnant. I've had comments from people saying I'm not really showing etc and it's starting to make me worry!

Is my bump likely to be measured at this appointment? I've not been weighed since booking in. At my 24 week appointment I heard the heartbeat and the midwife felt my bump. All she said was that it was too small to identify any body parts like head etc yet.

Thanks

Lovelongweekends Mon 15-Aug-16 20:48:38

They should measure your bump yes, from the top of your uterus to your pubic bone. Then they do bloods, blood pressure, baby heart beat, urine etc

April241 Mon 15-Aug-16 20:49:25

I had mine two weeks ago, usual blood/BP/urine. Measured my bump although im a twin pregnancy so they don't actually write it down anywhere for me, I think for singleton pregnancies she said it's a yellow growth chart they fill in. They also didn't weigh me, last weight was my 8 week appt. I didn't hear the heartbeat with her but I'm scanned every two weeks and seen/heard it just before the appt, not sure what they normally do otherwise smile

AerodactylsAssemble Mon 15-Aug-16 21:17:24

its unlikely they will weight you again until possibly just before birth or possibly not at all. I had an elective section and I was weighed the day before in prep for surgery, though if I delivered vaginally I doubt I would have been weighed again at all.

Depending on your weight at booking in you may be tested for gestational diabetes at around 28 weeks. I initially had a blood test that showed some markers for GD so then had to take a glucose tolerance test.

SpaceDinosaur Mon 15-Aug-16 21:34:46

To measure your bump it's not actually a distance of how much you are showing, they measure the size of your uterus because they can feel where the top is.

Honest to god don't worry. Some people have tiny bumps and some people have massive bumps. Doesn't mean that their babies are huge or tiny.

We all have different shapes to each other before becoming pregnant so it would be bloody worrying if we all looked identical or sported identical sized bumps during pregnancy!!!

I say this as I am also PG. at 21 weeks I have also lots weight (although I think mine is not drinking and losing my appetite!) I look small for me.

The correct response to bump comments can be anything from "thank you"
"I'm pregnant, what's your excuse?"
"Is there any personal comment I can make to upset you in response?"
"Fortunately my midwife relies on more than other people's opinion"

Just be confident in yourself. You're making a human ffs and each of our bodies reacts and carries and looks different.

kiki22 Tue 16-Aug-16 13:51:28

I've not been weighed at all since my first app I've got 10 days to my due date and have only put in 11lbs I'm wearing a smaller size jeans than I started in. People have also made comments to me about my exercise 'obsessions' and shouldn't I put my feet up its totally ridiculous since i work out for a total of 2.5 hours a week but people like to talk. I've noticed its often woman who put loads of weight on and are still struggling that say the mean things 😞

Your mw will have a good feel and measure if they don't think the baby is big enough they will tell you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now